Chinese J-20 Stealth Fighter, 1/48 (MENG)

She’s ugly but looks pretty cool in my eyes.

The kit is really nice so far. Fit is really good and moldings are crisp.

Painted base coat on cockpit, added some sensors. The canopy fit is really good. I have a 3d printed seat I may use after comparing it to the kit version

7 Likes

Looks like a nice kit.

1 Like

It seems to be so far.

Finally got some free time. Got the cockpit painted up and decals placed. I used the 3d printed seat instead of the kit seat as I think it looks a bit better and to scale. Still have to do the belt harnesses
and washes/weathering on the seat.

9 Likes

Very nice detail work so far

1 Like

So, I repainted the seat to khaki green. Meng said to paint the seat cushions and head rest white but I could find no picture anywhere showing that color.

5 Likes

The thing I dreaded most. Painting the det cord in the canopy. Meng did great here by making the lines recessed so you could create a wash to fill the line grooves. Now I just need to clean up the small mess ups.

10 Likes

Thanks Heliman!

Taped off the glass for the sensor under the nose.

Added green tint to the HUD

6 Likes

How did you do the green tint?
Thanks

1 Like

I watered down the Tamiya clear green with some future. It took a couple layers to get it right.

1 Like

Filled in and sanded some divots in the lower intake trunks.

Assembled the intake trunks after painting the insides. Unlike US stealth fighters the intakes are the same color as the rest of the aircraft.

1 Like

That canopy looks super- kudos to Meng for making it that way and to you for such careful painting. Love the cockpit too.

1 Like

Thanks Karl. It feels good working on a fun kit.

1 Like

Coming together nicely. Finished the seat weathering. Had to hand paint all the buttons and switches. The kit provides decals for the screens only.

6 Likes

Thanks for posting! I was super thrilled when I saw Meng was going to make this model in 1/48, and I got mine as soon as it was available. I haven’t begun building it yet, though, so seeing your progress and your notes about things is great. Please keep posting your progress…looking forward to seeing it completed!

1 Like

Thank you, this kit is really nice so far. I’ve been waiting for one a long time.

Fun build to watch.

1 Like

Thanks for watching

1 Like

Glued the side missile launcher doors closed. I like the cleaner lines. The panel fit is exceptional with just a tiny bit of putty added.

Assembled the left and right landing gear bays. Again, the fit is just as good as a modern Tamiya kit.

1 Like