Christmas-holiday 1/4 ton fast build

Perhaps you’re right… It’s the “proper washes and weathering” that i fear :wink:

Respraying, stripping the paint and then spraying again, build another one and putting this one in a box “to finish it later” are all viable options. But none of them will finish the Jeep by januari 16. And that’s the goal :slight_smile:

So i’ll finish detail-painting and start with a filter and some weathering and see how it goes.

And if all goes wrong it’s either accept as it is, or put it in a box “to redo later” after the 16th :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

If all things fail, cover it in rust, mud or sand… :grinning:

2 Likes

Well it looks a little bit like a jeep.

Just a few fiddly bits and decals to go.

Had to supply my own ‘glass’ for the windshield, that sorta worked out, need to paint the inside of the frame.

Not sure why the camera makes the paint look like two colors, everything except the seats and the shift knob is Olive Drab. :wave:

5 Likes

It looks a lot like a jeep. Only smaller :stuck_out_tongue: Nice work!!

I added some weathering in the form of washes and some light chipping. This is how the jeep looks now:

I’ve found my pigments in (of course) the last box i was looking in. If all goes well i’ll do some splatters an pigments tomorrow. Then glue the last bits on, including the bits of stowage. If all goes well, i’ll call the jeep “done” this weekend, in time for the deadline.

The base and figure will be done next week then (i hope) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Those are two nice jeeps!
@md72 You are right, looks like twotone paint, doesn’t look bad actually :grimacing:
@Goof : I think it looks very nice, the weathering and washes already made a difference, and like Ron said, those were probably painted in the field with whatever paint they could find…

Nice work all!
I will not be able to finish in time, I’m afraid. Too much else going on.

For now i’ll call the jeep done :slight_smile:
“For now” because i still need to make the base: a small vignette with a bit of road, lantern pole, figure and a dog.

This is how it turned out. Let’s keep it at “i see quite a few possible improvements”, which i’ll try to improve for the next model. But all in all i’m rather satisfied how it turned out :smiley:

6 Likes

That looks really nicely used and nice stuff in the back, well done!

1 Like

Nicely different looking!

1 Like

Done, with time to spare. I’ve been losing bench time to my grandson, who has decided he wants to build models like Papa. Good news / bad news. :roll_eyes:
Academy 1/72 “Ground Vehicle”, Part of their 1/72 P-51C “Red Tails” release, they did everything that they could to not say “Jeep” and avoided Jeep trademarks everywhere.

You can almost tell that the grill has 10 louvers instead of the 9 o Willys / Bantam Jeeps or the 7 of a Ford version.

It’s also got a rifle carrier on the windshield frame, definitely a feature of combat Jeeps, but probably not required for airfield duty in England.

They tried to add detail on the bottom, but the crankcase doesn’t lineup with the engine under the hood.
Thanks for this campaign, didn’t think I cold get this done in a month, but I did! :wave:

5 Likes

I am glad we had some fun here.
Unfortunately, well not really unfortunately, work, a study and familytime intervened on my front.
I did not finish my build, but got a study done with good results, still have a job and spent some qualitytime with the family.
Now all I need to do is to get a new compressor…

1 Like

Looks very nice! And eventhough it’s tiny, I am surprised there is even an engine under the hood… :grinning:

Too bad you couldn’t finish it, shame of your compressor…
How about good old fashioned brushes? :roll_eyes: Make it a “paintjob in the field”…

:rofl: :rofl: Thats probably why they were no succes… that and the fact you had to guide them to the target so you had to stay at the place where you fired them from… which attracted incoming fire…

Every time i see something like this i’m always surprised at how much detail can be put in this small scale. Very nicely done!!!

I know the feeling. Every time you plan something, another thing pops up. But i’m glad you have your priorities straight, modelling is “just” a hobby :smiley:

And thanks again for initiating and leading the campaign. As far as modelling is concerned, it seems we are on the same page a lot. Most (all) of your campaign ideas tend to draw me in :wink:

1 Like

:grin:
Yes, we tend to run into each other.

1 Like