Commercial Trucking 2021 (Jan-Dec)

Thanks for checking in KSO. I haven’t started weathering on the chassis yet, and plenty more to do on the engine.

Cheers, D

The Reefer Trailer is a paint sucking monster! Two and a half 30ml bottles of SMS Premium White (pre-thinned for airbrushing but I add about 10% MTL) to get a decent base coat all over.

Hopefully a final light coat will get the base colour finished, then masking for some highlights.

Cheers, D

3 Likes

Wow yeah I can imagine the paint cup sucking dry every few square inches of coverage on that reefer. It’s looking nice though

It looks good Damian but I wonder why you didn’t just use a Tamiya rattle can for this since it’s just white. I find there spray paints go very smoothly, and if you trying to cover large areas, much more quickly.

cheers
Michael

@cosimodo, I thought about doing that, but I really needed to work on my airbrush technique on broader areas with some 1/12 car builds coming up in my list soon. I’m using this canvas to experiment with some thinning ratios, air pressure and airbrush setups.

I’m not actually going for a clean even white finish, I’m looking for a faint mottled finish to represent some paint deterioration on the white, and I will be adding some light weathering as well to break it up a bit.

Thanks for checking in mate, much appreciated.

Cheers, D

1 Like

Well team, we are 5 months in on the year-long Group build, let’s see some progress on a few of the builds here!

BUILDS IN PROGRESS
AussieReg (Damian) - Australian Western Star with 48’ Reefer - Italeri 1/24 kits - Sub assemblies primed and painted on both kits, weathering started on the Cummins
jimb (Jim) - Chevy Bison (Rigid Stakebed Conversion) - AMT 1/25 kit - Chassis, engine and cab assembled, tray body in progress
tinbanger (Richard) - Construction Bulldozer Caterpillar D8H - AMT 1/25 kit (Side Loader Pipe Boom conversion) - Sub assemblies under way, chrome stripped, AM goodies added to the bench
cosimodo (Michael) - Bedford Mk4 - Resin/White Metal/PE kit - Sub assemblies started, primer and paint
Dixon66 (David) - Ford F-350 (Dually conversion) - Meng kit in 1/24 - Sub assemblies under way, body in primer
accessdenied (Roger) - 1923 Soviet Tractor - scratchbuild 1/24 scale - construction of sub assemblies under way

PROPOSED BUILDS AND PERSONS OF INTEREST
betheyn (Andy) - German Traffic Tractor D8532 - MiniArt 1/35 kit
Stickframe (Nick) - Peterbilt 378 (6x6 conversion)
ahandykindaguy (Dave)
165thspc (Michael)
Tank_1812 (Ryan) - Volvo VN 780
rv1963 (Robert)
GaryKato (Gary)
harv (Randy) - 1926 Mack Bulldog Tank Truck
The_Snowman (Gavin)
noddy927 (Peter)
Szmann (Gabriel)
GrubbyFingers (Graeme) - Volvo F12
2CAVTrooper (Jeff) - Peterbilt (day cab conversion)
kosprueone - (KSO) - Peterbilt (day cab conversion) with auto transporter - Revell kits in 1/25 plus AM wheel sets
Littorio (Luciano) - IVECO Hi-Way E5 Arbath) - Italeri kit in 1/24 scale

I hope everybody is staying safe and well.

Cheers, D

1 Like

I look at the box longly and dream of what might be ever time I walk into the office and keep up with this thread, does that count. :cry:

1 Like

Some nice looking builds in this Group Build so far. I have one build on the bench that I want to clear away first (ok, that sounds bad, but you know what I mean); then I’ll be back on the Bison. Yes, it’s a Chevrolet, yes it has a Detroit Diesel engine in it, and no the engine is not Chevy Orange. :laughing:

Jim

1 Like

My build will have the sleeper attached after all. Most of the Peterbilt auto carriers in the area do in fact have sleepers.

1 Like

Playing around with the big Reefer trailer, I couldn’t help thinking that the acreage of white just wasn’t sitting right with me. It needed to be broken up a bit. Looking at the box top illustration, there is a metallic trim across the lower front . . . . ok . . . next thing you know I’ve gone crazy with the masking tape and some sheets of paper, started throwing around some black surfacer, then on with the SMS Stainless Steel! Much happier now !

One thing leads to another, I like the SMS Stainless Steel better than the kit chrome on the Western Star, so the chrome wheels got a shot of black surfacer (straight over the kit chrome) and SMS S/S treatment. The Reefer wheels have already been shot with SMS S/S so the whole rig should tie together nicely.

Happy Friday Night folks, STYRENE ON !!!

Cheers, D

3 Likes

Saturday night Down Under!
Mission for tonight = 48 Foot Reefer Bogie Assembly.
SMS Chassis Black, Insignia Red and Stainless Steel make a really nice combination on the business end of this one.

Lubrication of choice for tonight is “Take it to the Grave” Shiraz, a nice drop with a killer label (see what I did there 😁). Anybody who know me will know how much I love my guitars and guitar music, so combine that with Shiraz and Styrene and I’m in heaven!

Stay safe and model on!

Cheers, D

4 Likes

You’re right, those colors certainly compliment each other.

Indeed cool label on the bottle. (Middle bottle). Then I assume you’ve heard Eliades Ochoa and Buckethead?

2 Likes

(36) Seven Come Eleven ⎜Tommy Emmanuel & Joscho Stephan - YouTube

Well I have started, a couple of weeks ago to be honest, as I was building it for a review.

This is where its at so far.
No paint on it as yet, just some primer. I will start painting it this week, as Im really looking forward to weathering it.

Andy :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Looks like a neat build, Andy. And what, exactly, is a traffic tractor? :confused:

Jim

Thanks. Looking forward to getting some paint on it.
Well the exhaust is underneath the tractor, so it operated on roads and not a field. Not actually sure what it was used for, as trying to find any info on that particular version is a bit hard :joy:.
I would imagine it was used more for towing then anything!

It’s a bad translation from German.
There are field tractors and tractors designed for road traffic (traveling on roads).
Different gearing and usually also wheels adapted for road/street usage

Looks like it was designed for much higher speeds with that cool swept-back cab :thinking: :joy:

Great to see you making a start on this one Andy, it looks like a nice kit.

Well this is where the kit is at now.
Next up is to make some masks for the wheels to spray the tyres, and then start weathering them.

4 Likes