Commercial Trucking 2021 (Jan-Dec)

@betheyn , great choice of colour scheme and lovely finish on the paint so far. What paint/colour did you use for the rims?

I picked up the 48’ Reefer pre-loved on a Facebook BSS page, and purchased it knowing that the decals were missing. What I didn’t know was that the control/gauge panel for the chiller unit on the front is a decal! Oh well, if this is the worst drama the kit throws at me, I’m going to be ok!

The recess where the decal would normally fit will look a bit odd with nothing in it, and to be honest I probably wouldn’t have been happy with a flat decal there where there should be raised gauge bezels and knobs and switches.

Always mindful of protecting the delicate infrastructures, I will cover up this panel with a sturdy metal bi-fold door, cunningly constructed from styrene sheet and rod.

I will add a latch to match the existing one to the left of the new door, and paint it to match the grille above it just to add a bit more interest to the front end.

Cheers, D

3 Likes

Nice improvisation there Damian!

Thanks D.
The paint went down very well, but it won’t look like that for long :joy:.
I used German Red/Brown for the wheels, but they will go a bit redder once I start treating them.
Andy :slight_smile:

Well now this feels like progress! All of these parts are now firmly fixed in place, and it sits evenly on all 6 touch points!

Still lots of weathering to do, and I’m planning to detail, paint and weather the accessory items (tanks, guards etc) separately then attach them. Rest assured there will be a lot of test fitting and adjustments along the way.

4 Likes

Nice looking rolling frame, D. I’m really digging it. :+1:

Jim

1 Like

@jimb, thanks mate, your feedback is very much appreciated!

I decided to have a go at some accessory detailing tonight, one of the smaller fuel tanks. First up I added some BMF chrome strips to the moulded-on straps.

Then it was on to the chrome steps and support brackets, which was a bit of a juggling act because there are no positive locating points. I ended up scraping some paint off the lower lugs on the tank, and some chrome off the corresponding points on the lower step, and using some extra thin to fix it in place. I also drilled out a locating hole for the fuel cap and installed it.

After that I used some small drops of medium CA to fit the support brackets and the top step.

Everything seemed to line up nicely and the brackets gave it some strength, so once it was cured it was time to test fit it to see how it looks on the rolling chassis.

I’m happy with how this one turned out, so I will move on the the second small tank and the two large tanks and give them the same treatment.

Cheers, D

2 Likes

Very nice looking tanks. I like them painted.

Jim

Some truckin’ fun!

Well I had a couple of days off during the last week, and instead of tackling the review backlog, I decided to actually do some modelling.
So much so my entry to this campaign is now finished.
MiniArts 1/35th German Traffic Tractor.
Gone for the used look :joy:.

3 Likes

You’re not wrong there!

Very nice build Andy, It seems to have been an easy build and a fun weathering exercise. I see that MiniArt have released the same tractor in a combo kit with a trailer now, I might just have to chase that down and have a go at it myself after seeing yours.

Cheers, D

Thanks D.
The build is a little fiddly in places, but easy enough, and I enjoyed weathering the tractor immensely, so much so I want to do another at some point.
The tractor and trailer combo kit looks pretty good, well worth buying.

Well catching up on all the progress and liking what I’m seeing unfortunately mine is no where near even hitting the bench, in fact my bench just seems to be getting further away from me at the moment with work taking up loads of my time (sneaked on while at work now).

D, nice work on your tractor unit and reefer trailer and interesting idea to cover the missing control decals.

Andy, nice looking tractor are you going for a collection of different 1/35 tractors?

Thanks.
Maybe, definitely going to do more work machinery type vehicles.

Looks good. Haven’t built any of the Miniart tractors but 80% done a Thunder Models Case Vai tractor.

Also Hasegawa has a line 1/35 construction equipment and farm tractors that are nice.

Detail painting on the 48’ Reefer Trailer tonight, using my tiny brush over SMS Premium White paint. The Leadbelcher is a shade darker than the SMS Stainless Steel on the trims, so the hinges and rods will have a bit of contrast. The Citadel paints are water-based so the inevitable clean-up from my hack skills is easy using a toothpick dipped in water.
Before and after shots:

Cheers, D

2 Likes

I had to paint the scratchbuilt door panel for the front of the Reefer Trailer.

While the paint was drying (SMS Stainless Steel over Black Primer) on the door I thought I would tinker with a little bit of assembly. Well . . . . ummmm . . . this happened!

Still some work to do. The bogie assembly is dry fitted only. The whole thing needs a gloss clear then some pinwashes, and there are still some small details and touch-ups to do.

Cheers, D

5 Likes

That sure is looking pretty.

Nice work Damian.

That reefer is really taking shape now and I’m seeing the true scale of this build.

Damian, just had a read through the complete thread. That wagon and trailer are impressive to say the least, a real cracking job so far. Some great detailing going on.