Convoy!

As luck would have it been super busy with other things since the wheel bits arrived but will get back to it next week. The wife wanted to go to Hobby Lobby and 40% model kits and someone asked me if doing a trailer. Wasn’t going to but then this was available at around $20.

To mess with me, these wheels are solid. Not sure if they fit any better. Same could be said for the kit. I am thinking the 36’ version would look better with the Mack but I also don’t have any compact trailers. Good problems to have I guess.

4 Likes

I’m with Ryan. Most ring mounts seem to go around the cuppola/hatch opening so the MG operator can swing it around if needs be. Like this on my M981 FIST

6 Likes

Although it pains me to say it … :rofl::rofl: I took Ryan’s advice and what Peter mentioned and revamped the cupola MG ring. I did have doubts about its workability so started afresh.

Cut the legs off I put on, and then trimmed off about 2 or 3mm from each end to allow it to sit better and closer to the area where the hatch sits.

I then added two small uprights towards the rear on both sides of the ring, and extended the cupola top slightly (between the tweezers) to allow for another support to sit centrally under the ring.

It now sits slot more closer to the hatch, and lower down.

Dry fitted the new style cupola and the RWS …started to paint the drop down table, and added an electrical junction box for the RWS for the cables to feed onto the box body.

The table wooden top and hinges some tidying up as the paint ran a bit the the outside she of the table and it’s legs are Tamiya dark iron, table top is Vallejo old wood.

And the RWS cable junction box.

Will carry on finishing off the cargo bed tomorrow and get that primed.

9 Likes

Looking good John - much more ergonomic.

If the cupola is not stuck down, have you thought about turning it so the rail opening is facing the RWS not straight to the rear? The mounted weapon would not need to be able to swing through in the 2 o’clock to 5 o’clock arc or they would be ‘shooting their own propeller’. Having the opening facing the RWS would give the cupola gunner a much wider field of fire, including behind the vehicle.

It would also give the gunner elbow room when shooting off the side. If it was left this way, shooting off the side would mean the gunners left arm would be up against the raised hatch (assuming that it would remain fairly upright as a form of protection from behind him.

2 Likes

Yeah good points, and if I was putting an MG there or a grenade launcher I would probably twist it round a bit to the left at that sort of angle you mentioned.

This mount is solely going to be for the M82 sniper rifle which I wanted forward facing for any opportunity long range, one shot only sniper engagements … :+1::+1:

1 Like

The MENG bolt heads and nuts have had their first usage :grin::grin:

I thought I would use them on the add on armour sections to simulate the securing method. I used the 2.2 size from the B set.

I did the bolts going from the inside to the nuts on the outside.
Inner.

Outer

And the RWS is secured to the roof and the electrical cables in place. I may put a PE securing strip across them as a tie down

These are the raised platforms that the weapon pedestal mounts will go on.

Yes, they are sections cut from Panther side skirts :grin:

I will use 4 of the MENG bolt heads from the small set on each corner of the grey mount plate

5 Likes

Love Dee’s Nuts. :nut_and_bolt: :hammer_and_wrench:

—mike :grin:

1 Like

Love Meng’s sets. They’re the ‘Duck’s Nuts’… ( the Aussie’s version of ‘bees knees’)

Looking good John.

2 Likes

A very very big thanks to James “Jimbo” @Jimbo for sending me these 2 sprues over from across the pond.

Can’t wait to get the sniper rifle fitted. Looks like it also comes with a pedestal mount (not sure if it’s for that or the 240) but I will test fit it as it looks like it will be a nicer fit that what I had. It may need a bit of tweaking.

Once again, a very big thanks to Jimbo :+1::+1: … And mate,
if you ever need anything and I have it, it’s yours buddy :+1:

4 Likes

Ok, so the mount on the sprue must be for the 240, not to worry, will stick to plan A and just tweak the one I had fitted…
Took the M82 off the sprue, and drilled out the mounting point on the bottom indicated by the cocktail stick

Also in that shot is the mounting bracket I will use, and that will also need location holes drilling into it.

Piece of .5mm rod in the mounting point.

Just need to work out the correct length of where to attach the pedestal mount and possibly alter its height as well…

5 Likes

My pleasure, friend. Perhaps stand me for a couple of pints when I get to Old Blighty :slightly_smiling_face: , hopefully sooner rather than later. Tempus Fugit and all that…

Loving all the detail and attention you are putting into this build. Hopefully I’ll get some bench time on mine in the next coupla days.

Jimbo

2 Likes

Will look forward to that Jimbo :+1::+1:
This arrived today, only got it as I wanted some personal weapons for the table area or in a rack maybe. Doubtful I will ever use the figures, but will keep hold of them.

4 Likes

I managed to get some bench time, a little bit over the last few days, to work on the cab alignment.

I found that I needed to get these sub-assemblies put together before trying to attach them to the frame. And as I figured, the fan and upper radiator hose prevented a proper fit. They’ve been snipped off. :frowning:

I’ll tape off the window openings and “canvas” roof in preparation for the camouflage colors.

Interior shot. The seat cushion and a few other things will get “weathered” before the back is attached and it effectively closes off the cab.

I’ve also mostly finished the rocket crates. They’ll get a flat coat (the thinned “smoke” color dries somewhat semi-gloss) and then dusted.

Mike

7 Likes

Looking good Mike, and I like the subtle tone changes on the rocket crates between the wood sections :+1:

1 Like

Built up the 4 weapon pedestal mounts and added bolt heads from the MENG small set to show the mount base secured to the raised platform

Have also added the bipod legs to the M82 and tweaked the cupola mount to let the M82 sit at an angle to prevent the mag or pistol grip from fowling.

Secured the pedestal mounts into the cargo bed.

And added a retaining strip to the RWS cables.

Definitely going to build the crane tomorrow… Definitely…:grin:

5 Likes

Just for giggles … And to keep whoever is at the table working happy and smiling and thinking of better days before the apocalypse…

7 Likes

That’s the cupola M82 mount finished, and the beast base coated in the background…

Now, from all this junk from the spares box and some plastic card and florist wire and the tissue, I will try to make

1. A large sun parasol for the cab cupola and
  2. A chair for the worktable…

Wolfgang is just there for his sitting position to test against :grin:

5 Likes

Parasol frame done. It’s just over 6.5cm across so I have plenty to play with when I cut it back as the diameter only needs to be about 3 to 3.5am across once the fabric (tissue & PVA ) is sorted and on.

Used a 2.5mmsection of hollow rod as the base, a glob of superglue gel on top of that, then 3cm lengths of the green florist wire resting on that and sloping downward…

Chair is made up of 2 torsion bars / drop arms complete, one at each end with the torsion bars acting as the front legs once cut down to 11mm. The drop arm will make up part of the back rest. In between the outer dtop arms is another drop arm but the torsion bar is totally cut away and a section of the axle is removed.

And the white bit of plasti card will be the seat with a little putty cushion

And I just knocked together a basic stool out of the scraps…

6 Likes

Nice! :hocho: :hammer_and_wrench:

—mike

In-between the parasol and chair, I was able to get most of the crane assembled.

It goes together nicely and it is also movable up and down, and you can also move the boom in and out.

Will look for some reference images to see if I can add some cables here and there as well.

Just have to assemble the support leg section but that’s only 6 parts so won’t take long.

4 Likes