Cricut - A modelers best friend

You betcha! It’s actually super easy to upload photos and resize them. That is what I did with the stars and bars on the avenger

I think I’m gonna try that when I build my mosquito

Reverse paint them. Cut your circle masks for each colour except the white. Use the inner circles as masks for those sections when you get to them.

Paint the area where you want the rondel White. Use the outer section where you cut the inner masks over the white. The hole in that is the size of the inside circular section, so where the white edge is supposed to be, will be covered by the larger outer section of mask. Spray inside the centre of the mask where you central colour will be. Add a circle mask over that. Spray the next outer circle colour, and so forth as many times as needed. When all that is dry remove all the masks, and lay a new circle mask that covers all of the white and central rondel colours, then spray your aircraft colours around that… remove your rondel mask, voila…

If you are worried about lining up the last biggest rondel mask, just place pencil marks outside the painted area where the line would go right through the centre 12 o’clock to 6 o’clock and another line 9 to 3… Do the same on your rondel mask, and when you line up the marks on the edges, your final mask is perfectly placed over what you painted for the rondel.

This is the route I would go too. @petbat recommend this on my archer build and it’s now my go too. That’s what I did for the stars and bars. Sprayed white masked the white areas. Sprayed blue then masked everything and carried on with base coat

1 Like

That’s a photo from the Eduard site (of the completed model of someone who has done a fantastic job of building and painting the kit btw) that illustrates what the roundel looks like. It is the same but smaller on the side of the fuselage.

Yeah, I think there are two ways of going about it. Peter’s way, where I worry about lining up the outer one at the end, or one where each of the rings is cut, including the outer super thin one but where I worry about being able to work with a piece of tape or vinyl that is that small of a ring. I guess my question for now is whether I can reliably get that small of a ring with the cricut.

I’ll respond in more detail tonight, as I am about to lose cell service. If you have calipers can you send the approximate thicknesses of the rings? I think that outer ring is close in diameter to the outer strip on the stars and bars marking I just made.

I think the cricut can handle it but I’ll test it out!

The result

And the rest! Have some touch up to do on the wing stars and bars where I didn’t spray dark enough, and a bit of touch up on the starboard stars and bars where the mask lifted a bit of paint

2 Likes

As Indy might say, “Feet. Why did it have to be feet?”… :grin:

That’s some amazing marking and weathering there! Might be tempted to go the Cricut route myself if I can justify it given my slow rate of building.

3 Likes

I have a Japanese LAV (Light Armored Vehicle) that only came with JMSDF markings, but I wanted to build as one of the security vehicles owned by the JASDF at Yokota AB. Was never able to find any JASDF vehicle markings and couldn’t figure out how to do a proper job of thme myself, but this would probably do the trick. My wife may need one of these for Christmas…

:beer:

3 Likes