CURTISS MOHAWK IV in 1/48 by "Must Have" in KNIL Leaf

Journey’s End

Yes, it’s a title from a play based on a different war, but it may be appropriate for a hopeless conflict on the other side of the world a generation later where there were also few survivors. In any event, here are the final shots of H.G.'s herculean effort on a “Must Have” subject.

I fiddled with it only a little bit on its arrival by substituting an accurate “Curtiss Electric” prop nose which housed the electric motor that altered prop pitch.

Also, I added this little “thingie” on the bottom, which I am pretty sure is a drain below the radio compartment.

You can see it below. “Close enough.”

I also added an air intake in the leading edge of the left wing root present in a photo of one of these aircraft.

Copy of 20230430_003644

But it’s petty hard to see in this random shot.

Copy of 20230430_003644

Finally, this is a “journey’s end” for me, concluding a desire that sprung to mind four decades ago when I saw that background photo in the C-W plant labyrinth (basement) where I first discovered evidence of these aircraft in Dutch service in WWII. I now have the three principal MK-KNIL fighters “On Guard” in the NEI at the start of the war, which you can finally see below.

Eternal thanks to my friend H.G. for making the dream come true.

8 Likes

With your head on my shoulders we’ll wreck (reinvent) the modelling civilization. :slight_smile: Great touches I didn’t know about. Thank you for bringing this subject to the next level.

5 Likes

One Final Photo

Just how different the cowling and appearance of the Dutch H-75A-7 with its Wright R-1820 engine is in comparison to the more common P&W R-1830 engined Hawk 75s can be seen in this build of a French H-75A-3 I did many moons ago.

Vive la différence!

8 Likes