Curvy Tanks Campaign

That defies logic … Air Force and a tank … that must of ended in tragedy … I hope they had proper tankie crews … :rofl:

1 Like

If you recall pre Gulf War there was concern about Iraqi military ability, they thought was they would bomb/scud the airfield in Qatar. The tanks where sent to help as way to fill bomb craters. I don’t think they had proper crews, my buddy with the unit told me some stories about the tanks deployment. The Qatar Army had to help replace thrown track and seemed like only one was “working” and the other just sat.

Yeah, it is weird. Hence me wanting to build.

2 Likes

Great back story of a real event for the build though :+1:

Half way through the article it talks about it plus a photo from my buddy. He has sent me more photos once we starting talking about the kit.

I will probably start a separate thread once building to help folks if building the AF tank. I had posted these notes before.

3 Likes

If not then I have many other candidates that will pass muster including several M4A1 variants and M60’s :slight_smile:

I will be building Dragon Kit No. 6083.

5 Likes

Peter, you got a point on the hulls of the T-55/62/72/80s. On the other hand you will be hard pressed to find an angle on the turrets. :wink:

Maybe M48 is the top curvy tank? Seems to have curves all over :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I don’t think there is a straight line on the M48 Patton

Hopefully the barrel…but that might explain a few things :rofl:

3 Likes

Somua S35 has entered the chat…"Hold my beer :beer: "

1 Like

…and the M3A1 Lee is waiting to get inside the ring… :wink:

4 Likes

I always forget about the cast hull m3 Lee’s. That’s a very curvy tank to be sure.

Definitely strong contenders :slightly_smiling_face:

Really looking forward to see more builds in this campaign - it will be interesting to see what people come up with.

Not strictly a tank, but the Skoda PA-II “turtle” armoured car is the curviest thing I’ve seen!

my0axwv24lm51
(Image borrowed from Reddit…)

3 Likes

More progress on my CDL: I’ve pretty much finished hull detailing, except the canvas cover on the MG.

I decided to model the tool brackets empty, as the only pic I have shows them that way. I guess tools weren’t needed when testing a prototype…

3 Likes

Almost ready to put paint on this one! I hadn’t realised until now how much it reminds me of the description of the Monitor from the US civil war, sarcastically described as a cheesebox on a raft…

7 Likes

Looking good Tom. Lots of nice detailing added. And your right, it does indeed have that monitor look going…

Since I saw no objections to my T-62 I will be getting started on the vehicle.

2 Likes

If anyone objects, tell them the Greek guys said it was okay.

1 Like

Rory, that must be ok with such a Pancake turret. Looking forward to see more :slightly_smiling_face: