DAK Windwagen- a Conversion/Kitbash/Scratch Build of a Non-Armored Rommel's Funny

Thanks John!

I found very usefull information in MWD restorations, posted on HMVF. Spent more time looking and collecting, than building.

I don’t feel like holiday, but I can’t leave SWMBO carry her 2 suitcases alone. That wouldn’t be fair😉

Cheers,
Angel

3 Likes

This is a very interesting subject Angel, and I will be following with interest. You’re right, it wouldn’t be fair to make SWMBO carry 2 suitcases - pay the bellboy to carry one so that you don’t spill your cocktail.

4 Likes

Thanks Matt, hope I’ll cope with all expectations :wink:

Cheers,
Angel

I pitty you, having to be away from the bench so long…

1 Like

You’re right, Erwin!

But the beaches of the Red Sea offer nice consolation, and SWMBO is happy :wink: :grin:

:beer:
Angel

I wish you a pleasant holiday…

1 Like

It’s been a while since I last posted here and although I was/will be away from modelling bench for the most of this months(holiday and job-related), I still managed to steal some time for research and modelling.

I also had the pleasure to communicate with Ronald @RonaldS several times and we exchanged findings and tips.Ronald is building the same vehicle over at the Dutch Twenot forum and it is a build worth following:

Now about my progress:

• I’ve built the driver cab and did some cuts on its floor- it seems that the Germans sawed off the areas behind both seats to allow the propeller safety cage forward supports to be mounted. The spares box was kept and it has some features on its cover that are still an enigma.

• I’ve super detailed the left side of the engine, added the gearbox with some additional details, that won’t be visible at all once the cab is mounted- but hey, I know they’re there :grin:

• Built and mounted the horn with its wiring and the base for the clutch and brake pedals. Added the clutch lever to the engine.

• Built the front axle with the steering rod-a very intricate parts here, pleasure to cut, trim and glue. I’m beginning to love Gecko as much as I love Bronco!

Some pictures:

I’ve also made a temporary attachment of the Argus AS-10c engine above the rear axle.One day this mock-up will serve to find the angle of engine mounting with regard to MWD’s frame, whether the propeller needs to be trimmed and the height of its safety cage.

Yet till then I need to:

• finish all brake wiring/tubing on MWD’s frame- thanks to a thorough restoration report on MAFVA, I now have a decent understanding of what goes where and how,
  • add throttle linkages to the throttle rod and from there to the carburetor,
  • add the dreaded HT leads and connect the distributor to the spark coil.

I see hours and hours of immense fun ahead :wink:

Cheers,
Angel

3 Likes

Hope the holiday was good Angel, and nice to have you back with your modelling batteries recharged :+1:

Lovely work on the windwagon…it’s coming together really well and your usual skillful touch is already adding loads to it :+1::+1:

2 Likes

Thanks John!

Yes, holiday was excellent and being away resulted in enormous appetite for modelling.
SWMBO has been very supportive for my hobby too- weather is cold and wet, so we have the usual quarrel about my smoking(when not modelling) :wink:

Angel

1 Like

Modelling keeps you from smoking?
Your SWMBO should really push you to do more modelling :wink: :grin:

3 Likes

Yes Robin,

I don’t smoke in my modelling room- mainly because I don’t have a free hand there :grin:

Cheers,
Angel

Keep modelling then… What better excuse is there to stop smoking!!!

2 Likes

Imagine all the kits that could be bought for the cash spent on tobacco … :innocent:

3 Likes

Yeah Angel cigarettes here are $10 a pack. You could buy a new kit every 5 days and you’d have time to finish all of them because you’d live longer. C’mon quit now please! :grin:

3 Likes

Brake master cylinder scratchbuilt and mounted, brake rod connected to brake pedal:

Cheers,
Angel

3 Likes

Yeap, those modelling batteries were nicely recharged after your holiday Angel :+1:… You’re back on top form with some lovely detailing

1 Like

The Windwagen journey continues…

I’ve built all brake and fuel lines, the radiator and the air filter.
Connected the throttle rods to the carburetor.
Some pictures:

I’m working in sub-assemblies to make painting possible.

Cheers,
Angel

4 Likes

Angel, I do hope you have drilled out all those brake and fuel lines so they are hollow, if not, there is just no point in all this lovely scratch building :grin: :rofl: :+1:

1 Like

Well, I haven’t, John :grin:

I just find enormous joy in researching, understanding and modelling those fidly designs.
And although they won’t be visible at all - I know they’re there😁

Angel

2 Likes

You know I was kidding Angel :wink:

It this amazing research and attention to all the intricate details that makes your kits and builds so wonderful and a joy to watch them come together. Keep them coming :+1::+1:

1 Like