Desert Rats on MGM+ channel Rogue warriors

the MGM streaming services has a new series called rogue warriors about the beginning of the desert rats. Thought some might enjoy.

2 Likes

Did you mean Rogue Heros ? Itā€™s about the start up of the SAS ? There was a documentary on the UK BBC called Rogue Warriors ā€¦ Again that was about the SAS ??

Yeah, might be heros. Wasnt a docu. Its about 6 episodes so maybe a season 2 with the way it ended.

Thru amazon you can do the 7 day trail for free and slam all the same day.

To be honest I didnā€™t think much of it ā€¦ Only bothered with 3 episodes and then got bored and annoyed by it. A lot of artistic licence, odd characters thrown in to give it some sort of meat, and some borderline fabrication on some parts ā€¦

And the origin facts and personal historical facts are readily availableā€¦ I donā€™t get why program makers feel the need to tweak or tamper with themā€¦

That said, some people will like it so have at itā€¦ :+1:

2 Likes

Got to be honest I thought the same thing, I lost interest half way through episode 1. Itā€™s ok if you like a bit of escapism, just donā€™t take it as gospel. All a bit too Peaky Blinders I thought. I would have preferred they had handled it with a bit more respect like Band of Brothers, rather than making a live action Commando comic. If you donā€™t take it too serious itā€™s a bit of fun, as it was intended to be. Us history buffs are always going to be the most difficult to please!
There was an article I read not long back about the family of Paddy Mayne not being particularly happy with his portrayal in the series.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the understatement of the year ā€¦ They and the local community were almost in a nuclear meltdown about it. Iā€™m just sorry I made it to E3, I almost bailed after the first episodeā€¦

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s pretty much what I read too. Just didnā€™t want to be too negative, I know a lot of people are enjoying it.

1 Like

I watched the whole series on Epix (now MGM+). I learned three things I didnā€™t know before. British Officers drank constantly, in the field and behind the lines. David Sterling had a love affair with a French spy. And British officers swore constantly like the cowboys on ā€œDeadwoodā€. So educational.

1 Like

If you like salt Invaderā€¦ I would take a huge pinch of it :grin:

1 Like

Definitely no peaky blinders. As far as accuracy I would avoid Kellys Hereos and this will cause complete brain melt down in bolt counters.

2 Likes

There was certainly plenty of criticism of both the portrayal of Mayne and the show itself. Personally I rather enjoyed it and didnā€™t take it seriously- I felt it was pitched as a slightly tongue in cheek, pop-culture take on the military oddballs, misfits and outcasts that created the unit. It was all dialled up to 11 with AC/DC, ridiculously posed moments and the sort of Tarantino feel of ā€˜Inglourious Basterdsā€™. It was a bit of fun really and it may get some more people interested in the history of the period which is always a good thing.

I thought Oā€™Connell had a decent accent too- something us lot from the 9 counties of Ulster are always analysing! Thereā€™ve been some hilarious takes on our accent on TV and film but I think his was decent though perhaps a little more ragged than I think Mayne might have had.

I should also say that people from Ireland, and Ulster in particular, swear a lot even in normal conversation. Itā€™s not a universal thing but itā€™s certainly noticeable compared to other English speaking places.

1 Like

If you donā€™t want the BS that comes with the series, read the book.

Rogue Heros by Ben Macintyre

1 Like