Detailing that Italeri HEMTT Crane

Detailing that Italeri HEMTT Crane:
Resurrecting an old thread that did not quite survive the Archiving:

A lot of additional detail can be added to the model of the HEMTT / Groves Hydraulic, 3 section Crane from Italeri. No notion as yet of how the coming version from Trumpeter will stack up. (I suspect it will surpass this earlier offering.)

985cargo_prev1.jpg87775f60-fd3f-4954-9762-0603e66f2722Large

id_hemtt_m977_700_05

Lots of hydraulic lines can be added to the model without hindering its’ movement and the Italeri offering can be modified to produce the actual 3-section boom whereas Italeri currently gives you only two sections and basically fakes the third.

3 Likes

Who does what??
Ken

2fb2edfa

29ea7ec5-dd8d-4102-9523-sm s-l1600-333sm

Creating that missing center section of the crane boom is not really as much of a challenge as one might think.

First ~ Standard Assembly of the two halves of the main boom arm as instructed but then . . . .
You need to carefully remove that small hint of the second boom section that Italeri gives us. (Keep it, as we will need it in a minute!) I suggest using a jeweler’s bow saw as the kerf of this blade is so fine you will loose very little of the part itself.
IMG_8134aREDsm

Second the Standard Assembly of boon section three and then a Little more Cutting:

. Step2sm

Third: Add a Little Evergreen and some sanding:

IMG_8137 .

Fourth: Assemble your new boom section #2

Boom Sections: . . . . . . . #1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . #2 . . . . . . . . . . #3

You have now built a brand new telescoping box beam out of Evergreen Plastic Shapes to form boom section #2. You have added the two parts cut off the other sections of the boom. Once the glue has dried use a small flat file to insure that all three boom sections fit tightly but still function properly while telescoping in and out of each other.

2 Likes

Some holes are missing from the crane’s support base:

Also that angled support leg, seen above and below.

ff2681b8-bc6d-4ef1-bd20-6b0cdba0eb33-09032015-cropped-669iCIRCLE .Dsc07731-CropCircle

The Crane Wiggles on it’s base:
A larger pivot shaft is needed and that big gear that forms the moving crane base needs to mate better with the flat surface below.

WinchPivot

.IMG_8188sm

Suggestion: I recommend going even larger with your pivot pin than I did here. Even doing this my crane still wobbles a little!

1 Like

Assorted Hydraulic Hoses:
See Reference Photos.

. .

I believe this lift motor seen above is of a later even more heavy duty design.

This hose needs to rotate in that small hole to keep the crane riser flexible:

IMG_8185smCROP

The cable that appears to run from the main shive pulley back to the hydraulic lift motor is actually a piece of thin Evergreen rod that simply retreats into the first boom section when the boom is compressed.

Slewing Motor and Brake:

2fb2edfa-smCAPTION

2 Likes

A lot of good work here in detailing that crane. The M984 Wrecker conversion by Hobby Fan has a decently presented (but only stowed) crane, including the hydraulic hoses… well, some anyway.

I’m surprised that someone hasn’t yet offered the crane unit up as a 3-D printed item yet.

1 Like

Yup, lots of great info. I will be using a lot of it on the M985A2 I am currently building. Also, you can use the same technique as the crane boom extension on the outrigger legs to extend them to stabilize it.

I too am surprised there has not been anything available in the 3D printed realm.

Hopefully, this will mostly be a moot point when Trumpeter’s upcoming M984A2 Wrecker comes out (even thought the front suspension is incorrect in the drawing). The crane should be much better on it.

1 Like

Hope so. Trumpy usually does a much more thorough job of it but then still leaves certain things out for unknown reasons.

3 Likes

Great improvement on the crane.

Cheers,
Ralph

1 Like

Bumpty, bump, bump, bump!

Happily, the Trumpeter M984A2 HEMMT wrecker boom is a multi piece affair.

And you do amazing work @165thspc

2 Likes