M985A2 HEMTT w/M989 HEMAT build

Work on the M985 continues. I basically have the rolling chassis done. I added the fuel tank, BII box next to it, and battery box on the opposite side from the M1120 sprue. They are more detailed than what comes in the M983A2 kit.
IMG_1923
IMG_1912
IMG_1922

On the rear, I added the stabilizing legs for the crane. I extended them by cutting off the outer leg sections and adding the telescoping square tubes out of square stock styrene.
IMG_1913
IMG_1914

I also added some additional details to the rear crane. The actual crane boom has three sections that telescope out to give it more reach. Italeri molds it with the second section fully in, and the third section extended. To make the full three sections workable, I followed Michael “165thspc” Koenig’s recent article on “Detailing that Italeri HEMTT Crane”.

I added the second section and filled in the underside gap. I added holes on the mount and a square section of tubing as a rest for the upper crane. I also added new, longer actuating levers on the control panel. Next up is adding some hydraulic lines.
IMG_1915
IMG_1916
IMG_1917

I have also completed the cargo bed. I added the foot holds for the rocket pods from 45 degree angle iron styrene, and added the tie-down loops from styrene rod.
IMG_1919
IMG_1918

I also completed the engine cover with radiator, which will be added after the engine is painted, and the muffler assembly.
IMG_1920
IMG_1921

Next up is the cab. It is very detailed in and out.

7 Likes