"Devotion"- Korean war flick .

Just saw this trailer for a new movie realease, Korean war with F4U’s etc.

Cajun :crocodile:

6 Likes

Just noticed they used a ex-French Army Simca-Unic Marmon SUMB (1964-73) as a NKPA gun truck…

truck---

H.P.

So now that this movie has been out in theaters and is currently streaming on Paramount +, what do folks think about of it?

Decide to stream while taking a model building break.

1 Like

I liked it. I’ve never read the book, so I can’t say how close it sticks to the source material. Some of the movie scenes had me questioning if they really occurred, but others are quite plausible. Just wish that they had a few F9Fs to fly along when they should have had them in movie.

3 Likes

After watching Devotion, I have to say its very well crafted.

One area that appears today as a “fault” is the pacing - it’s slow. Very slow compared to the fast food CGI marvelous stupor hero movies. However, I think the director, J D Dilliard is striving to take us back to the 1950’s when life moved at a different pace. Very much like Stanley Kubrick did in Barry Lyndon slowing things down to take a 20th Century audience back to the 17th Century.

I think that’s a master stroke of genius because we are quickly reminded the 1950’s was a different era with different attitudes. To understand this movie and what it has to say one needs to mentally shift gears and the pacing nicely helps the audience accomplish this task. Devotion should become regarded as an outstanding war movie, a new classic.

A+++ highly recommend.

2 Likes

I’m anxious to see this movie and I’m sure I’ll add the DVD to the collection, I just hope it doesn’t focus entirely on what it has to say as in “Red Tails”. At any rate I just enjoy seeing Corsairs and too bad there’s no FJ Fury’s or Panthers or Cougars and I don’t know if the F4D Skyray saw combat in Korea but that’d be a neat one to see as well.

Skyray came much later, 56.

1 Like

Terry, “Devotion” is definitely worth seeing and adding to your collection. It’s not like Red Tails in being overly preachy, but it does not shy away from those aspects either. Nor should it have done so. That’s who he was, and those were the times that he lived in. It treats the audience and subject intelligently.
I’d put it at a close second behind “The Bridges at Toko Ri” for Korean War aviation movies, but it’s much harder to film it 70 years later when the ships and most of the planes used are long gone.

4 Likes

Agreed, definitely not preachy.

Stickpusher is exactly on the mark.

1 Like

I liked it

2 Likes

At my age it’s all about “the pace”… and the absence of ad interruption was a bonus. I thoroughly enjoyed the flick! :popcorn::smiley::+1:

—mike

3 Likes

I just saw this film today. I thought it was excellent. Great story, great storytelling, fantastic flight sequences. Wonderful film.

3 Likes

Good to see this on DVD, great for the model bunker!

2 Likes

Just saw the movie in the cinema today. It indeed is a good movie, though I think there are some goofs:

• going in combat with the drop tanks still on.
  • The 2 that came back from chasing the Mig, had shedded most of their rockets? When?
    -Aa shooting at the plane with the plane in their crosshair? Didn’t they ever hear of a deflection shot?
1 Like

Watched it last night, recommended. Some modelling inspiration chucked in here and there, and some good reference material.

2 Likes

Ah Hollywood will probably never get it right, considering a two hour feature film is peiced together from start to finish in a non-sequential occurance it’s impressive that the story line makes any sense at all, the editor is the real magician of any film.

1 Like

There is some point in your comment. Yet a good military advisor would have pointed out these issues quite briskly, I think. It almost seems as if they didn’t use any.

1 Like

I think is probably more like Tom Cruise alluded to in an interview for Top Gun Maverick; the goal is to create an entertaining interesting movie for a general audience not a technically accurate movie.

1 Like

The director said almost the same thing.

5 Likes

Well, I was going to watch this on Amazon but was hesitant… With all the endorsement here I will give it a go :+1:

2 Likes