DKM Gneisenau 1/350

LOL! I guess none of us will be beautiful in death… :skull:

1 Like

Some parts were saved; Caesar turret remains at Austrått Fort near Ørland, Norway, which is now a museum.

Triple_28_cm_SK_C34_naval_gun_turret_MKB_Ørlandet

4 Likes

Hi Jan,

I do understand Mate, at the moment, lots going on here too.

Patiently awaiting the next update,

Cheers,

Si

2 Likes

grazie per le precisazioni molto preziose. Per quanto riguarda il registro della costruzione ti prometto che ci penserò , quando avrò bisogno chiederò il tuo aiuto. Grazie per aver gradito le fotografie

Il mio progetto è costruire la flotta che ha preso parte alla operazione Cerberus . Quindi Prinz Eugen ,Scharnorst ,Gneisenau ,Z5 Paul Jacobi , Z 29 e Z 25 che ho già completato (tranne Gneisenau in lavorazione ) e poi se riesco aggiungere Z 7 Hermann Shoemann e infine il T 12

1 Like

Non riesco a capire come mai ci sia questa enorme differenza tra le canne in ottone e le canne del kit . Vedo più armoniche le seconde quindi non userò le canne in ottone

Le canne di ottone potrebbero essere destinate alle torrette senza i sacchi di tela?

Could the brass barrels be intended for turrets without the blast bags?

1 Like

That exactly would have been my idea / question as well.
Overall barrel length of the 15 cm was 8.2 m, that would be around 23,4 mm in 1/350 scale - for the entire barrel, measured (probably) from the breech.

1 Like

Potrebbe essere la spiegazione migliore. Ma a questo punto non si potrebbero usare i sacchi di espansione. Non so quale sia la soluzione più realistica

Hi Iam new to the site and have seen your great build I have just started the dragon 1/350 1943 scharnhorst only just started never built a dragon kit before and I must admit I am struggleing with the instructions I have some after market sets such as artwox wooden decking a small MK1 DESIGN basic photoetch but I was wondering what size tape you used for the boot line Regards Keith

Hi Keith,

thanks for looking in! Well, the Dragon instructions are anything but clear, sometimes not even helpful - a good knowledge of the ship and some more references are helpful and recommended.
To start withe the Scharnhorst kit is ambitious, but it is a great kit and the Scharnhorst/Gneisenau are beautiful ships.
My build here will be stalled a little bit longer due to real life issues - military life, new posting, moving etc… but it will be continued!

For your question - the boot line would be approx 2 m wide, the standard masking tape you get is 6 mm which is pretty close for 1/350 scale. I got 5.9 mm tape some time back, I can’t even remember the manufacturer, and to be honest, I doubt you’ll see any difference. So boot stripe for major units (cruisers, battleships etc.) in 1/350 in 6 mm should be close enough.

Cheers
Jan

Yes, but don’t forget that the 6mm is absolute vertical measurement: owing to the sheer of the hull the actual width you need to mask will vary according to the amount of sheer.

If I may suggest, use a height gauge and lightly mark the boot top outline (top and bottom) with a pencil then use two smaller widths of tape to get an exact masking :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

While in theory you’re 100% correct of course, I found that at least for the ships I was building over the last years, you can’t really spot the difference with the naked eye. Sheer should be about maximum in the stern area. If you take e.g. the tape “crossing” from port to starboard around the stern to create an even upper line, and the portion from starboard to port for an even lower line, it works fine. For the bow portions I couldn’t really spot much difference withe the naked eye only, even if exact measurements likely will show an effect…

a361f0e5b54a75c332389ae1116751479031e0f6_2_666x500

Cheers
Jan

5 Likes

hehe… You’re right of course mate :slightly_smiling_face:

PS. I gotta get away from the being an engineer all the time… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :disguised_face:

1 Like

Wow - last entry over three months ago…I had hoped to be back at the bench much earlier…
However, eventually it happened, everything is back in place, partly re-arranged the model shipyard (which makes it difficult to find stuff, even though it way better organized than before…), Gneisenau back in the place where I started the build.

It is just a humble small first update, to get back into business. I didn’t feel like working on the ship, I need to find back into the build first. So I started a little serial production of 10,5 cm AA.

Seven of those will be needed, two already there, I’ll do six more. Certainly one will go wrong…

So here’s the first steps I accomplished after a break of more than half a year…

With the easter weekend ahead, maybe I’ll be able to get my first real update ready next week.

Cheers and thank you all for still bearing with me here, I hope that there will be a more frequent and regular activity again here with my Gneisenau from now on!

Jan

12 Likes

Hi Jan,

Gneisenau has been a long time in the yard - it is great to see the dock workers are back on the job.
:grin: :+1:
Gotta love those Veteran Models 10,5 cm AAs!

1 Like

Jan, its great to see an update! The 10.5cm AA guns look sharp.

The new hobby bench set up looks sweet!

1 Like

Great update Jan and good to see you back at it :+1:

1 Like

Nice work. I really grappled with those on my Tirpitz build. Yours are coming out much nicer than mine did!

1 Like

Wow! Three hundred thirty nine post over a span of years and I just now am seeing this for the first time. Don’t know how in the world I missed it.

Ein Wort: Ausgezeichnet!

1 Like