Do you use a Vise to mount the model to work or weather it?

I should have mentioned that I have a wooden handle with a course screw mounted in it. I then screw it into the bottom of the kit and use then handle when painting or have the handle mounted in the vise.

1 Like

VISE ! hell I donā€™t wear gloves when working on a project!

4 Likes

Sometimes, depends on the model. Iā€™ve got a couple of different size vices and clamps. Nothing too big, but the right size and weight to hold it and not fall over. When building a jet, I usually put a stick up the jet pipe that I clamp into the vice. Itā€™s also indispensable when building a spaceship or other sci-fi subject that is often an awkward and unwieldy shape to paint without being held upright, as this Kazon Raider demonstrates.

7 Likes

Follow up.

Took the plunge and purchased the DSPIAE vice. Just started using it and find it very helpful.

How helpful? Using the vice cut the time to install the spare track retaining pins in half with the upper hull positioned with the DSPIAE vice.

Propping upthe model on a paint bottle also works but repositioning isnā€™t as easy.

DSPIAE vice, recommended.

Iā€™m sure many other vice work just as well. Adding a vice to the tool collection is something I should have done sooner.

4 Likes

First, let me just say that DSPIAE tools are among the finest on the market. I have many of their tools and the price is right and they do their jobs extraordinarily well.
Wayne,
I have the desktop vise you picture, and use it the same way. It is indispensable for holding parts and assemblies when you need two hands to add new parts. It is also super stable and the adjustable pegs make it very versatile.
I also have this DSPIAE vise, the AT-HV holding clamp. It sits on the stand for two handed work, or can be hand held for close up jobs.

For holding entire hulls and turrets while working on them, I have a stand that sometimes comes in very useful. Itā€™s made in Ukraine by www.lmg.in.ua, comes with two heads, and is very affordable.

While reviewing DSPIAE tools, I also have this gizmo, which looks like a gimmick but it really works! Itā€™s their hand stabilizer. You just grip the ball with your working hand, rest your fingers on the wand, and your hand is rock steady for that final small parts placement. Gets rid of those last second micro-shakes. Works for detail painting too.

5 Likes

I do not use one and just rely on my unreliable hand. The positions get pretty wacky when it comes to painting turrets and the bottoms of hulls, so I am considering getting one, but it isnā€™t the highest of my priorities. Once in a blue moon when I paint figures, Iā€™ll just drill a bit out of their heels and glue a toothpick in place so I can avoid grabbing still wet parts of the figure.

2 Likes

Sweet! I didnā€™t know about the other vise and will add that to my want list! Thank you, Matt.

Also this may seem silly but using the vise and being stable, reduced my number of small part tweezer launches. Less struggle for position less time in tweezer in a convoluted position.

1 Like

I would like to buy the Octopus jig from Sukeru Modera.
I will ask Santa, it is not cheapā€¦
Nice review on Armorama

Octopus review

3 Likes

Unfolded paperclips work as well and donā€™t snap like a toothpick. They are also longer so more to hold on to.

4 Likes

Is that what Nightshift uses?

1 Like

Thatā€™s the one, ā€œmy fwendā€ :wink:

3 Likes

Who in the US is Dspia distributor or distributors? Iā€™m a sucker for tools, itā€™s my weakness especially when the recommendations come from the guys here.

3 Likes

Chris, Iā€™ve got my DSPIAE tools from Amazon and Michigan Toy. Iā€™d like to know additional sources too. Some items can be hard to find in stock etc.

Mich Toy - DSPIAE Model Tools

3 Likes

Ps, the site looks to be down. :confused:
You can order from Ebay, but for Europe the post-rates are too expensive (I think)

3 Likes

They donā€™t list a US importer but they list the North America importer as Lightspeed Global (lsghobby.com). I havenā€™t used them.
I donā€™t have one vendor where I buy DSPIAE tools from. Itā€™s usually not the same folks as where I get the rest of my modeling kits and supplies.

2 Likes

DSPIAE sells directly through their official shop at Aliexpress:
https://dspiae.aliexpress.com/store/4411138

4 Likes

HobbyEasy carries their whole line. https://www.hobbyeasy.com/

3 Likes

Thatā€™s outstanding information :clap:
Thank you!

3 Likes

I just ordered the Dspiae Photo Etch bending brake from Mecha Warehouse (New Hampshire, US). It was 15$ cheaper there than Amazon and will get here a month quicker. They list a lot of the Dspiae line, although like most sources a lot of the items are ā€œOut of Stockā€.

I also know that Newtype (California, US) sells the Dspiae tools and supplies too.

3 Likes

I have also ordered from the DSPIAE Tool Store on AliExpress with 100% accurate, speedy, and honest service. No hesitations to do so again.
Also, if you go on EBay and search DSPIAE you get 6 pages of product at some great prices and some of the newest tools.
In the USA, Boomerā€™s Books & Empire Models in New Hampshire carries the entire DSPIAE line, even stuff thatā€™s not on EBay yet. John is a Vet and a great guy to deal with. Tell him I sent you.

1 Like