Does Anyone Else cut out Boxart?

A hard copy is still required for OOB builds at competitions. A little easier than hoping someone brought a printer.

3 Likes

I rarely build OOB, and donā€™t compete that way, so still not an issue.

^Ditto^

I think there might be other people on the forum these days.

2 Likes

I separate out the instructions and decals just to make sure humidity doesnā€™t get to them.

1 Like

Well heck, Arty, Iā€™ve been modelling since the 70ā€™s, so old habits die hard, I recon. HA!

Na, really, itā€™s a sentimental attitude here, Bro. I like to keep track of my builds, more for posterity than anything else. I really donā€™t care for e-files, hard copies only.

Note: My grandson is analytical, loves the older instruction sheets and tries to understand the builds from paper, heā€™s 10.

That, my friend, is justification enough!

With your stash, Matt, that is completely understandable!

5 Likes

Make puzzle games for the younger up and coming plastic heads in your life

6 Likes

I keep all instructions, often keep box tops, and occasionally keep side panels. Spare decals and etch parts go into a binder. Spare parts go into a tackle box.

While working on a project, I usually add many notations to the instruction sheet, mostly to remind myself what optional parts are correct, what requires revision, and what still needs doing. My projects often take years from start to finish. Without those notations, I forget details found in reference books and online sources. I also note the start date, finish date, and applicable references. Such notes sometimes prove useful when building a similar vehicle, repairing a damaged project, or writing an article.

Box tops are collected solely for nostalgia. I cannot recall ever needing one. One would think the model itself fulfills any requirement for nostalgia but humans are not always logical, Mr. Spock.

6 Likes

I suppose some people keep boxart and instructions as a memory reminder and connection as to what they have built over the years.

Most times I do not, but I do keep some built boxes to remind myself of what I have built, and how lucky I was to find that rare OOP kit. Without the box and just the built figure, I cannot connect and remember where and when I found that kit because the kit doesnā€™t come built. But with the box, ā€œAh-Hah!ā€ I remember seeing that rare OOP super-hard-to-find kit in a box at the hobby store sitting by itself and I couldnā€™t believe my good fortune.

So keeping instructions, boxes, box art, etc. might remind modelers of their ā€œFindā€ on eBay, hobby stores, trade shows, expos, etc.

I donā€™t keep all the boxes, packaging, and instructions of kits that I have built, only the kits that meant a lot to me, especially the rare OOP ones, and where they came from and about when.

2 Likes

Yes, since many years. Also the intructions and the left over decal options. With some kits I even keep unused parts (like many Eduard kits). The rest goes into the paper and recycle bin. But unlike others I donā€™t hang the boxarts on the wall. They land in another box ā€¦ :smile:

3 Likes

Not so much box art, but I have the directions for every model and aftermarket set Iā€™ve built for about the last 35 years, all in binders, plus some stuff I managed to hold onto since the 70ā€™s. I also have a bunch of the old original Shep Pain Monogram diorama inserts, B-17, B-29 etc. to include armor

2 Likes

Nope, all paper items get recycled. I only keep extra/leftover parts and decals of subjects I know I will build more of, like Abrams, Bradleys, FMTVs, M35s, M54s, etc., etc., etcā€¦ mainly modern US vehicles. I have lots of boxes of extra parts.

just the spare parts or decals when there are some. I do have a few complete boxes of kits from the 70ā€™s

Matchbox used to do jigsaw puzzles of their box art way back in the 70ā€™sā€¦:

I have not kept box tops for a long, long time. When we were kids, my friends and I would cut out the pictures on the side of the box and use them in wargaming. Why ruin a model with grubby fingers, dirt and dust? :grin:

7 Likes

oh man those are great! Theyā€™re pre-weathered tho, so thatā€™s no fun :grin:

2 Likes

Normally, box art, instructions & spare parts all go in the trash unless the subject is a specific interest of mine.

Will confess the box art make me pull the trigger on this oneā€¦

ā€¦and Iā€™ll save the box top.

ā€¦andā€¦this oneā€¦

download (3)

4 Likes

Just found a few on eBay. Very tempting

1 Like