Does Merkava IV with Trophy have barrel stripe?

Sorry for not answering, had posted that about the clamps & headed off to bed, so missed your question.
Thanks for that info about the jubilee clips, i had wondered their origins.

And Thanks Johnny

Mal

2 Likes

Thanks Mal, I’m glad someone appreciates me … :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

This is going a bit more off topic - that RN connection reminded me. I saw a video the other day on the new Type 26 Frigate to replace the Type 23 Iron Duke class. The interesting thing is that it will use the US 5in gun - 127mm, rather than the traditional Brit 4.5in - 114mm. So we’ll no longer hear the command - “4 5 To Action Stations” or “4 5 Close Up” - HMS Hero, Warship reference - great series.
I hadn’t realised that Vickers was out of the gun business as this seems to indicate?

But to get to the point, how come those naval guns don’t use thermal sleeves? Surely they’d be subject to the same vagaries as land based guns? Likewise, they don’t seem to use Muzzle Reference Systems either?

And Johnny, we all appreciate your efforts - and others - but sometimes forget to say so…

Mal

1 Like

Haha … Was only kidding Mal… It was directed at a certain ex Bootie across the pond lol … I think the naval gunnery is totally console orientated and very high end optics and very very high end computer control and radar accuracy …don’t quote me on that though…

Have no idea as to why they don’t have thermal sleeves on ship guns … Maybe being outside all the time in far ranging temperature variations and they might suffer from heavy weathering and degradation ?

Aleph
Bet
Gimel
Dalet
and so on
Want to guess the origins for the word alphabet?

The Greek letters also start with
Alpha
Beta
Gamma
Delta
and so on
"The Ancient Romans adapted the Etruscan alphabet for use in Latin, which was adapted from Greek alphabet, but they never “switched” the third letter. was the Latin adaptation of Gamma Γ, which was an adaptation of the Semitic Gimel ג.

Latin had no written differentiation between /k/ and /g/, though they sometimes used the letter Q to represent /g/. In the 3rd Century BCE, a new letter was added by modifying C to create the letter G."

Naval guns are generally not used for direct, aimed fire, which is usually short distance. They are aimed by computers, based on range, elevation angle, and deflection, much like artillery, usually at very long ranges.
In modern first line navies, those gun systems are fully automated, there is no one in the turret to aim or fire the gun.
Ken

1 Like

I think the last manned turret in RN service was the Mk 6 Twin 4.5-in - typically seen on Type 12, Type 41, Type 61, Leander Class’s frigates & County Class Light Cruisers, though some lost their turrets due to upgrades. Max range 10 nm(19km), rate of fire, up to 20 rpm per barrel.

The Mk 8 4.5-in which replaced the Mk 6, had a gun house that was too small to have a crew in the turret, though a crew to load rounds from magazine to hoists down below, It introduced the bore evac/fume extractor to naval service. It can be seen on Type 21 Amazon Class, Type 22 Batch 2 - 3, Type 42, Type 82 Bristol. In Warships of the RN - JE Moore, 1979 it mentions the Gun 4.5-in Mk 8 - a fully automatic single-barrelled gun based on the Army’s Abbot gun and introduced in 1971. Maximum range about 12 nm (22 km) and rate of fire 25 rounds per minute.

The US Mk 45 5-in - 127mm - is similar to the Mk 8 - no space for a turret crew - albeit with a larger gun.
Lack of on-mount crew practically forces use of console direction - along with focsle location giving weather dependent access.

Naval guns of this type are multi purpose, whether to put a round across the bows of another vessel, engage aircraft, or undertake NGS - Naval Gunfire Support - so the characteristics of both a sniper rifle & a machine gun (area weapon) - albeit slow - would be desirous & conflicting.

Perhaps it is the conditions of its location that is the deciding factor against thermal sleeves on naval guns?
With Chieftain, the thermal sleeve contained asbestos, and funnily enough, required thermal protection from the engine (when turret traversed to rear). Presumably the asbestos has been dropped in modern sleeves?
I found an interesting web page on the Mk 45 127mm - In focus: the 127mm Mk 45 gun that will equip the Type 26 frigates | Navy Lookout -

Interesting to see that some of the specs I quoted above are different in that article, though range may just represent 40 odd years of improvement, not so sure about the 4.5-in 114.5mm now being 113mm.
Also surprised to read the Mk 45 is not designed to engage aircraft.

Ok, probably enough of this off topic sojourn

Mal

Apparently, modern sleeves consist of concentric rings, are removable and include ceramics.

Interesting, Thanks

Mal

And for those that dont know … the lighter oblong area on the thermal sleeve is the heat shield that Mal is on about

When the gun was rear either during normal traverse or clamped that area was protected from the excessive heat thrown up through the engine & TX decks.

2 Likes

Thanks John, great info!