Dragon Models, Black Label 1/35th scale MBT 70 /KPZ 70

Thanks grouser and Brian, interesting vid clip. Never really knew much about it, but insanely complex…

1 Like

Thanks Johnny, I always thought it a shame we never really knew how well I may have done in combat with a well trained crew, but you could say that about Chieftain.

the turret basket trial fit of parts
driving pod trial fit inside turret basket

2 Likes

the pods and items trial fitted inside the turret basket.
interior finished

now time to actually assemble some kit parts, starting with this rather difficult join at the back of the hull
early glitch

2 Likes

Really useful stuff here - some good work - all very helpful.

1 Like

That’s some mighty fine work you’re doing! (Don’t forget the paper bag for the driver - motion sickness was a major problem with the contra-rotating design…) I did this kit for review on the old site but did it as the preserved Munster vehicle with hatches closed.

Armorama :: Dragon Models 1:35 Building the new KPz.70 Review (kitmaker.net)

Armorama :: Munster KPz.70 by Tom Cromwell (kitmaker.net)

1 Like

Thanks for the encouraging comments Gentlemen, glad this is finding some who are interested in it.

the return rollers need time spent on them to clean them up and make them actually circular.
return roller cleanup
the rollers fitter together.
return roller fit

1 Like

return rollers fitted onto the hull.
return roller fitted
as to be expected with an AFV model in the Black label series, it has intensely complex suspension, close adherence to the instructions is the only way to avoid a FUBAR.
suspension fit fine parts a

1 Like

some fine parts here too.
suspension fit fine parts b
The suspension spring bushes are all sided and not identical with each other. It’s important to pay close attention to part numbers cross referencing them with the instructions.
suspension fit fine parts c
quite satisfying when they all fit correctly and you haven’t “Snafued” them up.
suspension fit fine parts d

3 Likes

Looking great!

1 Like

Black Label or not a cracking job. May have to get one myself after seeing your effort.

1 Like

Very impressive!

Along for the ride.

1 Like

Superb work thus far… Following with interest. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

1 Like

thanks Guys.

the next step cleaning up the road wheels
road wheels c
painting the tracks
roll of track

Grouser - sterling stuff; I have to ask, are you planning on drilling out/modifying the Gunner’s hatch, which annoyingly, Dragon have moulded closed?

like yourself, I am very interested in this Vehicle, I will undoubtedly make another in the future and I may consider that as an option, it is a tiny hatch isn’t it. Only employ slim gunners in the MBT70 crews.

This is the view down into the turret from the drivers hatch, this build will have the drivers and commanders hatches open

weathered turret int d

1 Like

Turret ready to fit to the hull. Still a lot to go on the turret exterior
turret halft joined

the hull, here’s a good shot of the fantastic designed dished sprocket wheels.
sprockets on

the kit is a little disappointing in that no provision has been supplied for detailing the inside of the fairly large optical sights, with such a high tech vehicle, something simply must be done.
commanders sight periscope
using reference images, and scrap pe from the pe scrap box (never throw anything away, not just cos I’m a Scot, it always comes in useful sooner or later)
here it is trial fitted to the turret top.
commanders sight periscope fitted

1 Like

This is all looking great! Quite the upgrade to fill in the voids on this kit.

1 Like

the other sight on the left front of the turret needs additional internal detail, the only thing I can say about the Black label omission, at least they make it easier to superdetail. This whole kit is a super detailers dream machine.
sight spare dash
you all know the drill, never perminantly fix anything until you have checksed all the equasions.

the box ready to go on, that is trial fitted
sight wally

2 Likes

sight box fitted to the left front of the turret.
sight on turret b
the same sort of work on a totally different sight on the right side of the turret.

1 Like