Dragon Tiger I Initial

Got the wheels on wrong the first time.
Now fixed.
What a dumb design

2 Likes

Tracks on

2 Likes

So put some dry transfers on and had a hard time of getting them on the side and could not get the front transfer to work.
Then I realized they were roughly 20 years old and now I know why.

2 Likes

Dan, is that a matt finish? Decals will hold better on a gloss surface and should also alleviate silvering of the carrier film.

Yes, I’ll sand this area down, repaint it and then add the decals.
What is on there now is a old dry transfer.

Even more critical that the surface is gloss when you use Dry Transfers.

I disagree, I’ve never had to in the past.

1 Like

Correct,dry transfers work on either surface.

Yes you can apply them to matt, but most often only after repeated attempts and usually breakage of the decal. Google it and you will find numerous posts about dry transfers not adhering well to matt paint and every recommendation is to only apply to a gloss finish. Archer decals even said as much on their website when they sold Dry Transfers.

I’ve never had a problem with them when they are not 20 years old.
That was the problem

1 Like

Sanded back the area around the failed dry transfers. Hope to repaint today.

1 Like

Not really a dumb design. This wheel distribution helped to distribute the weight of the tank so that they could operate better in the Russian winters. The design worked.

No, its dumb. The design was complex and very hard to work on. As for those Russian winters, mud got into and between the wheels, froze, and literally locked the tank into place on the ground.
Ken

Well, I would disagree with you. Did it spread out the weight? Sure did. But I cant imagine changing out a bad roadwheel thats mounted in the inner row.
And what about having to remove all the outer roadwheels and change track to transport the tank on a rail car?
No modern vehicles use this system…

Painted the areas

that I sanded back.

I must say, i’ve never had a problem applying dry transfers to a matt surface. I’ve even got some Verlinden dry prints from the early 90s that still go on to a matt surface really well.

In fact, I prefer dry prints onto a matt surface because i don’t have to fanny about with a gloss cote first if using wet slide decals.

Dry prints and then an overspracy of satin varnish. Thats the way.

The wheel design distributed the weight effectively, allowing the Tiger and Panther to operate in Russia. I’d rather have that than the inconvenience of clearing mud between them.

Bill

I’d rather not be on the Russian front at all! Nasty place, for all involved, especially in the winter.
Ken

Got some semi gloss on

1 Like

Dot time

1 Like