Draken's teeth

Have Hasegawa’s J-35F/J on the bench, still mulling over the paint job and whether to build it wheels up or down. Also am waiting for the RB27 missile to show from Cyprus. Am planning an alert bird with live RB-27s and RB-24Js. What color would their live ordinance be? Photos I’ve seen show the 24Js with a bright green body and white forward fins/nose. One photo shows “blind” marking on it . (Inert training round?) 27s I’ve seen are white, dark olive green and day glow orange (test missile?)

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=94612
Copy text to Google translate
Green and/or blind is the inert stuff. Used when the only “interesting” function is weight, size, mounting points et.c.

Edit: Clarification
I meant light green when I wrote green above

The Duke Hawkins book shows them as green.

Well, the RB27 in the first pic has the yellow band. I presume that means live warhead. So looks like white it is. Would live, war shot, RB-24Js be white too

I’m not an aircraft guy so take my answers for what they are worth …
There was one image (black/white) where the missiles looked dark,
could be some darkish gray or dark green.

Haven’t got the faintest idea about the war shot colours but I guess they would be white as well.
What colours were used by other nations?

Best I can find is here. Both are described as training rounds. The white with yellow bands is described as an inert missile with active seeker head and the green as a ground handling trainer.
Typically most western live ordnance has a yellow band to signify that it’s live, it would be my go to colours. The use of the yellow band on this one, might be because of that active seeker and it has to be treated as such. Most museum examples are likely to come from inert stocks as I imagine it’s far easier to make them safe for display!

1 Like

A couple of useful photos here. Might be able to run the text through a translator.

https://www.aef.se/Flygvapnet/Notiser/RB27_och_RB28_N2.htm

Finding photos of Draken’s or Viggen’s carrying live rounds is proving to be very difficult! Every photo I’ve seen so far are with the green training rounds.

The linked text and the link in the linked text only provides technical, historical and tactical information.
Not a word about painting or colours except for the pictures.

Put it down to the perils of trying to research on my phone on the bus on my way to work. Sometimes Google translate co-operates, sometimes it doesn’t. Looks like it’s an old page so that’s probably why in this case.
I’m trying to post the Wikimedia link for the first photo I posted, but having a bit of difficulty with it. I’ll try it again shortly.

From what I’ve been told, AIM-9s were white up until the early 80s(?)and the 9L. Then they switched to grey. Captive carry/ training ones are blue or carry a blue band signifying no warhead or rocket motor. (A lot have the IR sensor still and are used for “lock ons” in ACM training. ) This is the US norm. The RB-24s were built in Sweden (SAAB?) and had some Swedish tweeks (fuse, etc) . Same for the RB-27/28. (In fact if I remember correctly the RB-28 was a mix of AIM-4 models with upgraded seeker and proximity fuse)

2 Likes

Same with JASDF aircraft. Photos are either toothless or have "blue " training rounds.

1 Like

J-35 with RB-24Js swedish aim-9j swedish

1 Like

That looks like the bright green used for blind ammo in other circumstances
aaannnd the white active seeker

Let’s see if that link works now.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:RB_27S_harjoitusohjus_ja_8S_k%C3%A4sittelyohjus_Keski-Suomen_ilmailumuseo.JPG

1 Like

Google Translate says that sokea is Finnish for blind
which the text below the photo already says, together with some more information :smile:

1 Like

Needs a white cane or a seeing eye dog.

2 Likes

Boy do I feel dumb! I read that text several times looking for SOKEA before I realised it was written on the missile! And then the obvious dawned on me as to why.
What can I say, it’s been a long day and one that has definitely had me questioning my choice of occupation. This has been somewhat of a nice escape and diversion. And a realisation that I really should build a Draken now.

1 Like

SOKEA … IKEA … Everything Swedish is confusing. Dragon’s instructions are concise compared to IKEA. Draken has to be one of the prettiest planes around. And, as I found out researching it, a good performer. (having never seen combat it seems to be ignored. Sweden, Denmark, Austria, Finland are not known for their aggressiveness.) Found the kit on ebay cheap and was going to build it as a Danish one. Then found out I’d need a small fortune in aftermarket parts. So Swedish with the olive/ blue camo it is.

Sokea is Finnish, that language belongs to another group of languages.
Swedish is a Germanic language.
Sokea is a word, IKEA is an abbreviation (Ingvar Kamprad, Elmhult, Agunnaryd: First name, last name and the names of two smallish towns).

I learned to read instructions from the IKEA sheets, now everything else is easy :wink: :grin:

1 Like

Thought it was a Swedish missile in a Swedish museum. If memory serves, Finnish isn’t related to anything. Kinda like Basque.