Dual M48's, Tamiya and Dragon

Thanks, I did some googling after the question and the results were not good.
Thats too bad.

Easiest choice would be a Dragon M48A3 kit not 3546 with the Def model conversion set (the set Rfbaer is using)

3 Likes

It’s a very good set of parts, too. The only issue I’ve ever found (this is the second one I’ve used) is at the edges of the mantlet cover where it mates to the turret front. It may need a little filler. I’ve done some more on it, will get a pic up when I’m home.

Anyhootch, here’s a start on the Chrysler cupola, using an old LoModel Urdan cupola as a starting point:
IMG_3885 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
It looks about the right diameter as compared to pics, and so far the work is going okay.
I think…

6 Likes

Nice start. I can post more photos of the Chrysler cupola if needed. Also for the mg mount I can measure the equivalent part from AFV club so as to give you an estimate of the dimensions your parts need to be

1 Like

Wow! Lo Model? Where did you dig up that gem? Haven’t seen any of their stuff in years.

I had a few bits left from three boxes I bought many moons ago. :grin:

1 Like

They pop up every now and then on ebay.
Ken

ChryCo cupola so far:

Just lots of little bits of Evergreen…

7 Likes

but they make the big picture … :+1:

2 Likes

Gotta 'fess up, I’m in the middle of a AMS syndrome episode. There is an “error” on each of these builds, based on the starter kits and what I’m building as the end product. Kudos and an “AMS Award of Excellence” to whoever may spot it first based on the pic below:
IMG_3890 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
Here’s another hint:
IMG_3889 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
I’m going to pretend it didn’t happen for the moment and move on.
IMG_3886 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
I admit to being pleased with the Chrysler cupola. It’s definitely something to set the model apart from others I’ve done. I also like the DEF armored air cleaner housings, very nicely done and it’s almost a shame to cover most of the detail with the outer cover, yet to be added, a PE part.

4 Likes

Sadly I have zero knowledge of those to spot anything amiss… They look absolutely great to me :+1:

2 Likes

It’s one of those “oops” things.

1 Like

Something funky with the rear grill doors on the dark kit?
The tail lights look to be exactly the same and they should not be. But that could be the angle of the photo.

It’s much more basic… :thinking:

1 Like

I am refraining from answering since my AMS could be far worse than yours…

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I give up. At this point it has become a “where’s Waldo” situation. :rofl:

1 Like

It’s the fenders. The Magach has the late reinforced fenders with the extra mounting bracket on the front while the “Model B” has the early type with no added brackets. I’ve removed the stamped X’ reinforcements from the Magach fenders and am getting psyched up to remove the brackets, and redo them at the very front of the fenders. For the Model B, I can add brackets easily enough, and add the stamped stiffeners with small half-round.
If I’d planned this before I started building the simple solution would have been to build the Dragon kit nearly OOB, then do the Tamiya kit as a Magach. Unfortunately I already had the sand bags securely fitted to the Tamiya turret and was well into fitting the Magach parts to the Dragon turret before I realized my very basic mistake. My forehead is still tender from the head slapping and I was sorely tempted to shelve both, but I’m far enough into this to quit now. I’ve even considered buying another Dragon kit to get the early fenders but I know if I start disassembling either one I WILL push them into the darkness of the Forgotten Projects place.

3 Likes

Mostly fixed.
IMG_3891 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
I can cover some of this with stowage, especially on the Model B.

7 Likes

Great fix and recovery … doing some great work here as usual mate :+1:

2 Likes