Echo Tech ZO-41 Ultrasonic Cutter - opinions & experience?

ultrasonic-cutter-zo-41

I’d like to know more can anyone help?
What’s this hobby tool used for?

Would it work well to remove resin plugs on large resin parts?

Thank you.

Dunno Wade. I did find a video.

1 Like

Thank you Al! In the video the UltraSonic Wonder Cutter is mentioned in the comments and there’s a video on it. It seems better.

Looks like potentially a finicky tool, not sure it would be worth the hassle.

1 Like

I agree.

During both videos I found myself wondering if there was a fine toothed saw blade available…

1 Like

They are called fret saws …
Blade widths down to 1/25 inch or even smaller

Blades are available in a wide variety of tooth sizes/counts. These saws/blades will be able to cut injection gates “impossible” to reach with other tools.

Example:

0.6 mm is slightly less than 1/40 of an inch, thickness is maybe 0.3 mm or less

There is also this type if the need should ever arise to saw sideways deep into a cut …

There is a variant called jevelers saw which enables the use of broken blades (yes, they ARE fragile and they break when used the wrong way or simply for “reasons”)

That wooden board is essential, a fret saw can not and shall not be used like any old lumberjack saw

Do NOT bother with this type of blade for VERY FINE work:
They are optimised for other jobs, possibly to use for large resin casting plugs so don’t disregard them.

The HUGE drawback with these saws is that they require some elbow grease to function properly,
there is no buzzing little electric motor to lure the unsuspecting user into believing the pushing a button will solve everything.

There IS indeed an electric version if motorisation is needed:
https://www.proxxon.com/en/micromot/27094.php
That kind of cash buys a LOT of elbow grease but I can see the attraction of it …

Edit: the size of the hole at the tip of the V-notch in that board is important. If it is too big there will be insufficient support for the piece being worked on, if it is too small the edges could interfere with the
up-and-down motions of the saw blade. A very small hole provides better support when sawing off small parts from a sprue.

4 Likes