Ellen Ripley from Alien 1979 movie

This Ellen Ripley tight Diorama depicts the character as she was at the final scene of the movie, she discovers the Alien has hidden itself aboard the lifeboat after the self destruct has been triggered on the mining vessel Nostromo. Ripley makes it to a space suit compartment, as she dons the suit to blow the creature out of the airlock.

the model is a good likeness of the actress.

the joins are good at the neck and shoulders, the main body join does need fettling to get a fit, even then there’s a gap that needs to be sorted.

torso join
the joins of the wrists are covered with a pair of futuristic watches
5mm across at each face.

5 Likes

assembly using serious glue, was relatively easy compared to resin models I’ve made, the casting, is faultless.
profile b

once assembled and filled at the mid join, I used Tamiya fine primer
the face looks even more close to the actress Sigourney Weaver.

6 Likes

Very nice! This looks to be a fairly large scale figure.
:smiley: :canada:

the next step was making the basis for the compartment out of wood, to be detailed with aircraft parts from the spares box.

the wrist joints and mid body joins made good using Mr Surfacer filler 500.
waist line join
starting with the floor covering it with styrene sheet with grip floor texture, cut to size and glued onto the wood floor
grip texture floor covering
the back wall has a grill at the top, I made this from gauze and spare aircraft parts
grill construction
a shelf for the space helmet, (yet to be fabricated)

5 Likes

the back wall with a mixture of AFV and aircraft spare parts

9 Likes

The backdrop looks great and figure looks like her. :+1:

1 Like

I picked out various colours of the components but it didn’t fit the bill.

it isn’t meant to stand out, just to provide a back drop for the main figure, so I went with matt black rear wall and kept the silver floor.

7 Likes

the figure in base flesh coat, standing on the base just to get an idea where the space helmet will go, on that shelf, in the movie it’s hanging ready to be donned by an unassisted crew member. The glass roof will allow light from above and the glass front and sides will be masked with black edges.

12 Likes

Lovely piece you’ve got going there with a fantastic looking background.

1 Like

Thanks Karl, wanting to make this a enclosed piece with viewing windows, experimenting with auto paint direct on glass, it’s very fragile, and unmasking has caused a peel, but the fragile side can be inside.
experiment painted glass a
it’s simpler than cutting black paper or card, and the glue holding that to the glass would mar the effect.
experiment painted glass b

6 Likes

Hmmm…you’ve got a little roughness from joint filler along her bikini-line. I realize from past experience that things like that are easy to miss until you see them in image enlargements. You could put a small mirror at the back so you could see her cheeks! :wink: :wink:
:grin: :canada:

1 Like

yes, the join filler is messy but dead easy to make good. I understand a lot of mirror were used in Aliens to save on budget costs, the sleeping bays were done with mirrors, no mirrors here though, that would be cheeky, anyway, like tank interior details, I know they are there.

This time I unpeeled the masking tape slow and careful, pulling directly away from the paint line.
careful peeling
the second window, it’s beginning to look like a phone booth. Well superman did it.

9 Likes

good to see someone else taking up building 3D printed figures, you’re doing a fantastic job there…I need to get my oola figure primed.

1 Like

if more 3d printed figures are to this standard I may well be making more.

I’ve3 added a striped ceiling to break up the light entering the spacesuit compartment from above, to give a sudo sci fi light pattern, the movie had the emergency beacon going, I can’t make that so this is the next best thing.
black striped ceiling b
The figure is still in base coats so far, much more work to do there as she is the main feature of the diorama.

she will look far more real when I to concentrate on her next week.

8 Likes

Brilliant lighting effect! I can just about see the strobes flashing, hear the alarms blaring and the steam-pipes hissing! :rotating_light:

—mike

2 Likes

still got the Piton gun, she used to annoy the Alien hanging in the airlock, still to make, the space helmet to finish.

7 Likes

Looks very good, have been watching from the start. The scratch build with the suit locker room is very atmospheric :+1:

2 Likes

Very , very cool !!!

2 Likes

Thanks for the supporting comments guys. The grapple gun she uses at the end of the movie to dislodge the Alien from clinging to the open hatch, scratch built from spares from the spares box and styrene sheet.
piton gun a
the guns she uses is, If I remember, is blue, so here we go, greeblies.
piton gun b

6 Likes