Favorite Cooking Channels/Shows/Recipes?

The majority of the modeler’s I’ve known really enjoy a good meal so thought off topic discussion on cooking might be of interest.

Over the last year or so my cooking game improved mostly due to my wife’s input and a couple to top notch YouTube cooking sites like…Sip & Feast, All Wings Everything & Brian Langerstrom

Beef Bourguignon by Sip & Feast

Just as much of learning to build a model is like “paint by numbers”, cooking seems remarkably similar.

Thoughts? Recipes? Favorite seasonings?

3 Likes

I don’t cook. Never have. My meals were provided by Mom/Army/Wife. I have other assigned duties in the household. If my wife goes before I do I’m screwed.
Things are going to get mighty expensive with Grubhub every night. When I can’t afford glue and paint maybe then I’ll learn to cook.

5 Likes

Ditto here Matthew- the only thing I am worse at than cooking is gardening/growing things .
Some one once told me that I couldn’t grow mold on old bread in a damp basement and they were right. I have very dim memories of trying to grow a certain kind of plant with my college roommate in the early 70’s but for some reason my memory is foggy … :wink:

3 Likes

Slow cooker recipes for me. I love me some slow cooked Beef Stroganoff or some Beef Stew on a bed of rice. :yum:

The Best Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff (ourfarmerhouse.com)

Slow-Cooker Beef Stew Recipe: How to Make It (tasteofhome.com)

4 Likes

If I go before my wife she will go hungry,
just saying …
It could be called “job security”, she can’t kick me out 'cuz I do the cooking …
:grin:

6 Likes

Haven’t got time to watch cooking shows, too busy in the kitchen.
Seasoning and additions for minced meat sauce is “whatever that doesn’t run away fast enough in the fridge”. I call it “surprise cooking”, sometimes wife and two kids sit there with puzzled looks trying to figure out what that taste is. Their faces at the “reveal” are sometimes quite amusing to watch.

My wife has bought half a dozen cookbooks and I’m slowly working my way through the recipes.

2 Likes

The running joke in the house is when the wife and daughter want to order out, it’s my night to cook. :joy:

I have cooked plenty of meals and I thought it was good. It was at least serviceable. I have eaten worse.

5 Likes

Yeah! I can sympathize with that. Eating out of a brown plastic bag is pretty low on the totem pole of nutrition.

3 Likes

I do all the cooking and it’s like models, just follow the instructions. I’ve made bread from scratch, doing smoking on the grill, pies, soups, stews, pretty much anything. I’ve gotten some good vegetarian cookbook recommendations from the wargaming crowd as well. The good thing is my daughter is dabbling in cooking now (since they don’t do any of that in school) and has realized it’s not too hard and cheaper. I do like my fast food and pizza also though. We’re entering soup & stew season so it’s on! Lots of leftovers and easy to make. We keep an “emergency chicken” in the freezer when colds and flu hit (ya I know, but “it can’t hurt”). I’m now exploring dog food options since the old Molly had some issues and we’ll be making treats and meals for them as well. It sucks that my kitchen is so small and not much freezer/fridge space. Jacques Pepin, Julia Child, Cowboy Ken Rollins, and America’s Test Kitchen are some of my usual shows to watch when searching for recipes or info.

4 Likes

Cooking is very similar to model building you can choose to follow the instructions or not. I do prefer home cooked meals as it’s generally cheaper, taste better and a healthier option. At least in the US most restaurants add a lot of salt and other fillers. Not that I am a temple of health :rofl: but as we age less of that junk is not a bad thing.

Baking on the other hand typically means you have to follow the directions.

3 Likes

I do much of the cooking in my house along with a lot of other stuff, but I do have two boys who cut the lawn for me and anything else I need, definitely takes arm twisting though !! My wife is much better at cooking than me but we have a rule: who ever gets home first has to start chow. That’s mostly me since I get home at anywhere between 3 and 5, she’s not home til 6 regularly.

3 Likes

I make Taiwanese Cucumber Salad to take to work now and then. It’s a lot healthier than a Burger King lunch. There are recipes online. Seems a bit tricky to balance the salt and sugar in the recipe, at least in my experience. Jarred minced garlic is maybe better to use in my humble opinion.

On my list to cook/prepare: Mexican Spaghetti, Dalmatian Spaghetti Sauce, Prebranac, Arab Salad.

Just found this site with recipes that look to be very good. Also, the marinade is outstanding with burgers. Used it for years.

El Yucateco also has great recipes.

3 Likes

I love watching my wife cooking in the kitchen after she’s done mowing the lawn. :joy:

4 Likes

Sometimes I try or adapt crazy/weird/quirky recipes. In this case, I made this with hamburgers, topping them with the ingredients and using buns instead. Easy and it came out pretty good.

Not most people’s idea of “pizza” certainly, but next time, I will just make this as is. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

We tend to take turns in the kitchen, depending on the smell of my cooking, it’s either happy to eat, or trying it before dog gets it,
A compliment sometime comes in that it, tastes better then it smells,
when she’s fed up with my suprises, I get to do some modelling for a week.:grin:

5 Likes

4 pounds of pork sholder roast
1 small head of cabbage chopped
1 sweet onion chopped not fine.
2 table spoons smoke
2 table spoons salt
1 1/2 cups of water

Oven at 300 degrees
roast goes into pan fat side up
add water, smoke and salt
cover with foil bake for 7 hours
uncover, add cabbage and onions, make sure there is still some water in the pan
recover and bake an additional hour.
remove cover, serve over rice.
Kailua Pork.
adjust ingredients to taste

I cook, SWMBO ( the mess sergeant) supervises

6 Likes

I definitely like it best when my wife cooks. Very familiar with Grubhub & Doordash! :laughing:

@TopSmith Greg, that sounds fantastic!
Thank you for sharing!

@M70 thank you for the link and heads on Dales!

@SableLiger Reyneir, thank you for the links!

3 Likes

I got a lot more recipes. It pays to have a few cookbooks in the house. I’m a single guy, so most times, I just hit Door Dash for food, or eat out of a can; but the times I feel like actually doing the whole cooking thing, I have plenty choices. Plus investing in a slow cooker and an air fryer were one of my more level-headed decisions.

Sometimes, I even amaze myself when i cook.

3 Likes

Is that what they call “a cunning plan” ?

2 Likes

Me hungry!

2 Likes