Ferdinand interior

Just, WOW! Astonishing detail everywhere. Every nut and bolt perfectly placed, the smallest streak of grime or spec of crud authentically represented. Your work is absolutely brilliant. I hope this will be displayed in an “exploded view” so that none of this amazing detail goes to waste.

3 Likes

“Dry” test before paint. The most complex 3D design and model yet - complete cannon with carrier.

13 Likes

Almost fell off my chair with astonishment. I’m not an interiors guy, but damnnnnnn.

2 Likes

Now that’s impressive!

2 Likes

This is unquestionably a brilliant build, breathtaking detail and surely one of the best interiors it’s our privilege to see. My only teeny query is about the rust (?) stains on the front bulkhead – kinda understandable if this is representing an 80 year old museum example, but if it’s a contemporaneous Kursk replica they were brand new vehicles.

1 Like

Yes, there is probably more rust on the front bulkhead than it should be. I tried to only put rust where the screws are and potential possible paint scuffing from getting in etc. I was thinking that the machine (Nr. 624) could have sat in the field with the hatches open for a few weeks before being towed, the interior is ransacked and so it was even to several other abrasions than during normal operation. Due to the open hatches, rain could enter the interior, and minor abrasions released rust - that’s my story, but I admit that I could have saved a little on the rust :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not sure what research you may have done, or whether the following has any relevance for your build, but I had a look through my main Ferdy resource and attach images that may be of interest. As I’m sure you already know 624 was disabled by track damage (minefield) in the vicinity of Ponyri during the Kursk offensive, captured by the Russians & shipped back to Moscow for evaluation. Its commander was Feldwebel Bohling, I’m not sure whether he & his crew survived.

I’ve added the maintenance photo in case it might inspire a diorama in which the crane has lifted the fighting compartment to reveal the interior.

3 Likes

Absolutely stunning! Now I want to do an Elephant/Ferdinand with interior lol. As if I don’t have enough kits in my stash…
Again, amazing work

1 Like

Hi Martin.
Thank you very much for your comments, I know these photos and I am based on them during construction. Diorama will match the familiar photo from the tow using the S-65 machines. The sources differ in the description of the damage, the photo from the towing rather corresponds to the variant that the machine is stuck in the soft ground (perhaps on the crater after the explosion). The right wheel, which is missing at the exhibition, is damaged, part of the hoop is broken off, it can be seen in one of the available photos. Either it’s after being hit by a bullet or after a mine explosion, but that would mean they had to repair the tracks and only then did the machine bury itself, which corresponds to the photo. We have already discussed this in another thread: Ferdinand Nr. 624 Panzerjäger-Abteilung 654

2 Likes

Do you have any idea about how does the slide armour upon the periscope works ? I’m wondering if the two pieces can slide together to one side.

Hello. The sliding cover of the periscope has arms in the interior that are coupled to the gun carriage. If the periscope cover was closed, it rotated together with the cannon. If the connecting arms were freed, they could be spread to the sides.

The arm system can be seen here (pictures of the model):

Here you can see the control arm on the gun carriage:

2 Likes

Missed this first time round, but wow … That interior detailing is next level standard. Probably the best and most detailed scratch built interior I have seen. Absolutely stunning work.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot my friend, your work is incredible.

1 Like

Wow absolutely beautiful!

1 Like