Fire for Effect!

Group Build Title: Fire for Effect!

Group Build Leader(s): @phil2015

Group Build Description: Artillery. Before 1900 pretty much anything that served in the artillery. I will be disposed towards being inclusive here. After 1900 something built for artillery, not for AT or Flak roles. Self-propelled or towed is fine. Self-propelled guns (StuGs, SUs), tank destroyers, tanks, are out. Mortars are fine. If it’s a man portable mortar, needs to have a figure or so with it.

Event Details:

Completion Award: can we count on @petbat to provide his typical excellent award badge?

1 Like

As intriguing as it sounds, I have enough unfinished artillery projects to last quite a while.

3 Likes

I’m in, I’ll likely get a M2A1 on carriage M2A2 from AFV club and build it alongside my M2A1 half track to tow it.

I think we should limit it self propelled guns specifically designed for the artillery role like as you saw wespe and Hummel. What are your thoughts on rowed anti tank guns often used in artillery roles like the 3 Inch M5?

Gunpowder (or subsequent propellants) tube artillery only… So, Hussite War Wagons but none of the more mobile torsion stuff like carroballistae or Khmer Elephant - mounted Catapults?
:smiling_imp:

Cheers,

M

P.S. No StuGs but what about StuHs?

Ok what scales are allowed, thinking of a ‘battery’ of Israeli M109, M106, M125 or British Abbot battery or all four in 1/100 scale.

2 Likes

How about a Wespe?

Needs some extra work.

Do you have a model of a Khmer Elephant-mounted catapult?

Yeah and gunpowder and later propellants. Rocket artillery is in.

Oh so that means a battery of M270 are in :slight_smile:

1 Like

Perhaps unsurprisingly, no. I did grab a few sample Khmer figures in - I think - 15mm scale many (many!) years ago with a thought of a DBA army; I have a weakness for armies with contingents of (preferably under-dressed) young ladies. I was unimpressed by the sculpts and didn’t take it any further. Here’s the beastie, anyway:
Imgur
Apparently the Timurids did mount light cannon on elephants, though. I believe heavy crossbows were fitted to camels before the development of the Zamburak, the latter type surviving long enough to be upgraded from light cannons to Gatling guns…
:smiling_imp:
Cheers,

M

I am interested, I have a M109A6 Paladin in the stash.

Phil was specific in saying StuG, not “and StuH”, so I think he would allow StuH’s Tom.

I have a wide range of 1/35th kits to choose from, from the tiny 15 cm sIG 33 (Sf) auf Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf B (Bison) to the Gerät 040/041 (Morsar Karl). I wonder which will finally take my fancy at build time…

1 Like

The problem is the battlefield role is the same even if the weapon is different. It is further complicated by weapons not always being used in their intended role, not so much heavy long-range artillery being used in short-range direct-fire roles but things like AA guns being used for indirect area fire. And while we have SP and towed there’s also the stuff that needs to be broken down for transport, from Mons Meg to pack howitzers and coast defence weapons employed as siege guns.

Cheers,

M

1 Like

Thank you, Mike (justsendit) for the like. I could not for the life of me remember what I had titled the thread that contained that photo - until I saw your name.

2 Likes

@ 18bravo. It must have been sendingdipity.

—mike :grin:

2 Likes

Can it be piece already started?
Here is one I’ve been working on

That seems to be a pretty good plan. Whether a StuH or a StuG can be included is starting to get very specific. If the intent is for more participation, the more you narrow it down the fewer particiapants you’re going to get.
I had an idea for a Shep Paine Tribute campaign, Suddenly it evolved into The Great Ones, the intent being to be more inclusive, but excludes kits made after 1990. Not only did it change my whole original intent, ironically it excludes me from participating. The figure I have that bears an uncanny resemblance to Shep Paine, came out after 1990.
I’m not complaining mind you. I don’t do campaigns well anyway. But if you want to gather a large group who do, maybe a little leeway in what’s allowed might be the way to go. Let’s not forget what the “H” in StuH stands for…

1 Like

In general we allow started kits but usually with some criteria like no more than 20% complete. I guess I should update the description to make that clear.

But, please, tell me more about what this is that you are working on here?

Phil; here is a link to the post for the cannon.

Above are pictures of the finished cannon and work being done on the crew. Every crew member is made from 100% recycled plastic , mostly sprue from old kits.

2 Likes

I’m no good doing campaigns, but this one interest me. I have some artillery kits all 1/72 scale, all from WWII, so I’ll see if I can find time to take part. When that happens I’ll post what kit will be built.

2 Likes

One piece I’ve ben looking for a long time to build is the old Tamiya 75mm Pack Howitzer. i know Tamiya made the kit in mostly white metal.

Many a times I’ve stood at attention behind one, firing it to start business on post.

6 Likes