First post in this (new) forum

Took a few days away from the bench but did get a bit more done today. Added more vegetation and most of the reeds that will be poking up from the stream. Added some filler plants around the verge of the bridge and the stream bank. This will be only the under vegetation as I have some ivy from Mininatur that will be worked into the corners and up the sides of the stone work.

Also, I have opened up two of the hatches, the large side door and the funky flip down rear turret hatch replicate the more common look (thanks Tim!!) of an abandoned/knocked out vehicle.

I have re-imagined a bit the end of this particular vehicle. This is Indochine which was knocked out by friendly fire. Thankfully no crewmen were injured in the incident but Indochine did indeed end up in a nose down attitude into a stream or irrigation ditch.

I am assuming that the tactical marking on the side of the turret was added by a German unit. I know the French assigned Indochine #205 but I can add the 530 and the tactical side if needs be. Anyhow, I liked the idea of the tree being uprooted and a stone bridge just a bit to the right of the hapless victim.
Any ideas or criticism gladly accepted.

Cheers,
Rick

6 Likes

That stream bank looks terrific. :+1: :+1:

Nice update Rick. The stream and foliage look great, not overdone. You have really improved the wagon just by opening the hatches, it does now look properly abandoned. :+1:

1 Like

Beautiful work Rick , love the flora !!

Nice stuff all around!
J

Very nice diorama I like the vegetation well done / Micke

I agree that the Char looks better with the hatch open but the star of the show is the scenery. I can only wish I had that talent.

Bravo Rick great work & the Char looks perfect :tumbler_glass:

Thank you to everyone for the kind words, I really appreciate them. Here are the latest (probably last!) updates for the ground work. I’ve added in more of the tall grasses, toned down the other grasses, added ivy to the bridge work, and filled in a bit more ground cover with the tiny yellow and white flowers. The only other thing I can think to add is a bit of loose scatter to add some layering to the open ground along the banks paying particular attention to the area around the felled tree.
After that I just need to finish up the figures (about 90% done now) and the Faun and trailer (at about 95%) and we can call it done (famous last words!)
Before I add the photos does anyone have any info on the turret markings of the actual vehicle above? I’m pretty convinced that the “530” and the tactical marking were added by some German unit but if not I can easily add it to the Char. TIA

Cheers,
Rick

7 Likes

Amazing work!

That’s really taken it up a level. The water and how it’s settled looks great. Top work Rick :+1:

10995292_665152800257602_1540537109733912167_n

It looks like seven figures in total. This fellow is more interested in getting in a bit of angling rather than the task at hand. The reel looks really large in the photo but not so much when the figure is in front of you. I’m thinking that most of my figures come out somewhat ‘chalky’ in appearance; does anyone have a good solution?

5 Likes

For better or worse I’m closing in on the finish line. Here are a few more photos as some more of the figures meet their final resting place.

I re-positioned the chain man to make his leaning from the weight of the chain make a bit more sense. Prior he was standing near the flowers to the right but I think this is a bit more dynamic.

these three are just some general shots to give a sense of what I have with the Faun. It is a great beast for sure. I’m debating about adding some more general stowage (maybe a tarp or two?) in front of the Pz. I just to give it a bit more of a ‘full of junk’ look. But, after six months another part of me is ready to move onto something a bit new!

Here is the fisherman of the crew. I kind of envision him as being the old man of the bunch; you know the guy they call “Opa”, all of 26 or 27 years old!

My favorite figure, the bemused soldat just taking it all in.

This is the last figure to go, this guy trying to give some helpful advice. Still have a little work to do here; put something into his hand, finish off his wristwatch, and a bit of work on his tan. After that attach the trailer and work a bit on the frame for the base.
Any criticism welcome, constructive or otherwise!

Cheers,
Rick

7 Likes

Really shaping up nicely!
J

Looking really good!

Looking very good Rick. And some very nice little details. The guy pulling the chain looks “very in scene”, using his weight to pull the chain. I like it that you have drilled the holes out for the canopy support post on the truck. Its all looking very realistic :+1:

1 Like

I am really impressed fantastically built :trophy::trophy:

Really cool , beautiful work Rick , outstanding , love it !!
Gotta fess up though , the coolest thing on the bench is the distressed ball cap , I want one .

Love the cap, fun story. Was cleaning out the backyard pond about ten years ago and took it off and forgot about it. Time marches on, we moved but kept the house and rented it to our youngest daughter. She called me one day about five years ago to help her with the pond; when I got over there she said she found this old Boston hat that had been buried in the undergrowth. Happy reunion, but it was buried in mud. A quick trip through the dishwasher without my wife’s knowledge and now it is my favorite!!

Cheers,
Rick