Flat spray

In your opinion , whats the best Flat spray paint . rattle can or air brush .Thanks .

1 Like

Tamiya is the best flat coat I use. Only down side is that the cans really too small!

3 Likes

Amazon sells them. https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/6ED1885E-9A6F-4F00-A501-FF5C4C944AF7/search?ingress=2&visitId=e0542f75-7795-4c5f-a331-662c66453aa0&ref_=ast_bln&terms=flat%20coat

“UV Cut” is to prevent the flat spray from turning yellow from the sun’s UV rays. I never had that problem, but for those who display their models on the window sill, I suppose it’s worth it.

There is also a Clear coat too.

Mr. Hobby’s spray cans are larger than Tamiya’s and cost a few dollars more.

3 Likes

I’ve had my best results with Humbrol Matt Clear thru my airbrush. An absolutely dead flat finish. Everything else that I’ve used has left a slight sheen or gets an amber color tone with over years.

2 Likes

Lou,I use Alclad Matte,I dust it on lightly,sprays right from the bottle,dries dead flat.

I recently had breakfast with Guarino,Radomski,Kirk,and Van.
We really are really getting to be a bunch of old ba$ta@ds !!!

Hope your well :laughing:

1 Like

Me too Stik, stuff airbrushes great and gives a dead flat finish.,

1 Like

I use Tamiya also and have never had it yellow with age

1 Like

The ones mentioned above are excellent and work well.

However this discontinued product is the absolute BEST flat coat I’ve ever seen or used.

1 Like

Tamiya Matte Clear rattle can (TS-80) is IMHO the best thing going. I admit to being unwilling to try anything else. (Why would a risk a new model - or $10 - on trying something new/different?) I don’t tend to try and fix what ain’t broke!

Also I feel I can so confidently get what I need out of the Tamiya rattle cans so why would I mess with the color change ups and after clean-ups of the Air Brush?

If you are getting a gloss or semi-gloss out of your matte spray it is because you are applying the clear coat too wet. You don’t want a smooth coating of any matte color. You want to hold the gun or spray can well away from the work so the spray falls almost dry onto the piece giving you a microscopically pebbled, rough, “toothed” surface. Any matte coating put on too “wet” will flow out and create a smooth surface. And any/all smooth surfaces will reflect under the right conditions and appear semi-gloss. 15+ years as a studio product photographer taught me that!

Additional advantage: This rough “tooth” is great for accepting pigments (pastels) for weathering. Once “scrubbed” into this rough surface the oil pastels become almost totally permanent with no need for further top-coating.

I can show beaucoup photos if you need to see them!

4 Likes

A similar thread with more information and various viewpoints can be found at:

1 Like

Sorry but no idea who your question is directed to.

As for me, I am predominantly an Armor guy so I use both matte colors AND matte clear. Mostly Tamiya rattle cans.

1 Like

Im good Tony . knees are shot lol but otherwise good . we moved down the shore in January. getting use to it . How are the guys doing ?

2 Likes

no one in particular . just a general question.

1 Like

Read online a few years ago a lot of very bad comments that Vallejo flat coats turn gloss after a few months if in a humid environments.

Any thoughts on that?

Seeing pictures other folks terrible results with Vallejo flat going gloss scared we away from trying it.

Thanks

1 Like

Do you mean going gloss on the model or in the bottle?

1 Like

Glossing up on the model after being in high humidity.

1 Like

I have some done with Vallejo and i havent had that happen,my basement can get humid at times,have to keep an eye on that.

2 Likes

i tried your technique on my pilot figure and it worked but when i tried it on the plane i got this on the decals. a spotty blotchy effect

Joe

1 Like

I would say in this case you may want to put the matte spray on a little heavier so it does indeed flow out a bit more. Doesn’t look like you are laying down enough paint.

2 Likes

I make my own flat clear to airbrush or brush on. Been using it for decades and you guys have seen my work so you know it’s legit. To make “Matt’s Matte” you need:
Holloway House Quick Shine (The replacement for Future)
Tamiya X-21 Flat Base
Mix it 70% Quick Shine to 30% Flat Base and use it without thinning. It will self-level, give you a nice dead flat finish, and not milk up or frost on you. You can go 60/40, but any higher than that and it gets really frosty, I’ve run the tests.

4 Likes