Fly 1/32 Hurricane IIC

I don’t do ships so I can swerve that as an issue, I love the newer Airfix kits, they are awesome and have got me back to building in 1/48. Yep, the paint job on this Hurricane will be a nice change with completely black undersides but it’s the nose art in particular that I’m looking forward to. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree, Mal, Airfix have come on in leaps and bounds in recent years. They just need to up their quality control now and switch over to the darker more robust material that’s been showing up of late in kits such as the Buccaneer etc. rather than the soft light grey stuff they used for years.

I’ve got quite a few red boxes in the stash (all 1/72 a/c) and majority of the a/c I’ve built since returning to the hobby have been 1/72 Airfix as well. I particularly liked their Gloster Gladiator. Such a nice build. :slightly_smiling_face:

Can’t wait to see what you do with the nose art on your Hurri! :hugs:

2 Likes

Airfix used to have their kits moulded in India. The first batches of the 1/24 Typhoon had cracks in the sliding canopy and when Airfix contacted the company about it they said, “We didn’t think that it was a problem as it’s only a toy”. Now that says a lot and Airfix dropped them but the price of having stuff moulded in the UK was just too prohibitive. However, I do believe that, because of the issue over the soft plastic, Airfix now have their kits moulded in the UK. Don’t quote me on this! But they are now using harder plastic. I believe that the Bucc is moulded in that. I know that the soon to be launched Spitfire MkIX is. :slight_smile:
The nose art isn’t too spectacular but I believe that this is the only Night Intruder to carry any and it does require a multi-part mask. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Looking forward to seeing the masks take shape Mal :slightly_smiling_face:

Haven’t seen any bubble top 1/24 Typhoons on the market since the initial release. I was fortunate to get one without a cracked canopy, but now I’m torn between 1/24 and 1/32 with the imminent releases of new Spitfires from both Airfix and Kotare :crazy_face:

1 Like

My first 1/24 Typhoon was a pre-release example, with no issues, given to me by Steve Budd who built the kit for Airfix on its release and, as he didn’t have instructions or decals, he asked me to cut paint masks for him. He had been given 2 kits and a bunch of spare sprues so that he would definitely have all the parts! I bought a second kit, sometime after the initial release and that doesn’t have any issues either.
I have both the Kotare and Airfix new Spitfires on order. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bud I love watching your solutions to problems but it is still not helping the models appeal.

2 Likes

I read a write-up about this kit yesterday and no issues were mentioned, it was his second one but nothing was mentioned even about the crappy instructions. So maybe it’s just me! I’m certainly not going to be building another!

Well said!

Just catching up. Great problem solving!

1 Like

There was a guy over on Largescaleplanes who was churning them out regularly when Fly first started releasing them with no mention of issues, but then he was pretty much a master-class modeler so perhaps in his frame of reference there were no issues for him.

Cool, that puts me in my place then! :grin:

2 Likes

It’s been a while since I last posted but I have been trying to find out the actual aerial fit. When I finally found the answer, an actual photo I was surprised on one front that I wasn’t expecting and relieved on another because it meant that I could use this kits antenna mast on my Pacific Coast’s Mk I as I had lost the antenna for that! We are now ready to paint. :slight_smile:
As usual descriptions in the photos.

6 Likes

Now the fun begins …

2 Likes