Flyhawk 1/700th Königsberg April 1940

I once swore that I had built my last 1/700th scale ship. however…

The Konigsberg is a ship that has always interested me. The first major surface unit to be sunk in combat by air attack, by Blackburn Skuas of the Fleet Air Arm.

The kit, this was a present from Mrs Duster, is very cleanly moulded and the level of detail is exceptional. this is the deluxe version so lots of etch and turned brass.

The contents of the box.

Quite daunting, as I have spent the last 9 years or so solely building in 1/350th and larger.

The main deck.

the major components test fitted together. very good indeed, dry fitted the upper and lower hull halves are almost seamless.

The keel has been laid, the propeller shafts have been fitted to the lower hull, and replacement etched detail fitted to the upper deck. I have just noticed, the upper hull is not quite sitting square on the lower hull.

More soon.

Cheers, Si

3 Likes

Hi Si,

I built my first Flyhawk kit recently (the HMS Campbeltown) - if their Köingsberg is anywhere near the quality of that one, you are gonna love it! :smile:

They are very nice Kits Si so will be watching this one with interest…Cheers Mark

Hi Tim,

The quality is outstanding, I will admit I was a bit daunted by the kit when I opened the box, but it I just screamed to be built, the little I have done so far has gone together vey well.

Thank-you for looking, and I did enjoy following your Campbeltown build, she is a fascinating ship.

Cheers, :beer:

Si

1 Like

Hi Mark,

Welcome aboard, I have a feeling it will be an interesting ride.

Cheers, :beer:

Si

You’re a brave man, Si! :grin: I too, swore off 1/700 over 10 years ago and haven’t looked back :wink:

I’m hopeful of Flyhawk gracing us with the their presence in the 1/350 scale oneday! (There are rumours of a Prince of Wales kit under development with them :male_detective: )

Meanwhile we’ll enjoy watching your build and I’ll crack open their 1/72 SBD-3 Dauntless when it arrives one day :grin:

Hi Russ, they say there is a fine line between bravery and stupidity, as this progresses we shall see on which side I sit :roll_eyes:

The improvements in the quality of etch since I last delved into this scale have made it slightly less daunting … so far :worried:

I hope Flyhawk do take the leap into 1/350th, a new KGV class would be nice, but so would some an upscale of some of their other 1/700th kits.

Welcome aboard,

Cheers

Si

1 Like

A little progress, the one disadvantage of the smaller scale, it can be a bit tiring on the eyes, however I am still enjoying this build.

The hull and decks painted in sections.

The light is a bit off on the above, the decks are sprayed dark grey. As I could find nothing definitive, I am assuming from research that the linoleum cladding was removed prior to the invasion of Norway.

The upper and lower hull and the maindeck glued down, the fo’c’s’le deck is just rested in place.

All fixed down, along with the torpedo tubes and the boot topping painted.

Slowly working on etched details on the funnel and the inclined ladders.

Cheers

Si

5 Likes

Off to a very good start as usual Si…Cheers Mark

Thanks Mark,

I am enjoying the quality of the kit and it’s engineering, the very small parts are a little daunting, but getting less so.

Cheers

Si

Hi Si,

great choice of topic, count me in! And I hear your remarks about 1/700 - it certainly looks like a fantastic kit, but it’s too small for my eyes and fingers…so I wish you luck and the necessary patience!
Some years ago WEM announced a 1/350 resin kit, but to my knowledge that never materialized…that one would have been on my ‘must have’ list.
Great start and I am looking forward to following your build!

Cheers
Jan

2 Likes

Hi Jan,

Welcome aboard, I procrastinated over this kit for a long time, and finally caved in. It will be quite a slow process, I do find, even with an optivisor my eyes tire quite quickly. Flyhawk produce a nunber of kits I would like to build, but I think this will be a one off in this scale. The kit and the etch are excellent, I am being a bit pragmatic about the use of the etch, where it appears the etched parts add little or nothing over the IM parts, I am sticking with the plastic.

appreciate you following along.

Cheers, Si

1 Like

some small progress over the last week or so.

The funnels with moulded detail.

Test fitted with the etched hand / footrails. They were interesting to fit, very easy to get out of shape.

One of the ladders folded rady to fit below the bridge, not a quality pic, but gives an idea of the size. they did fold very nicely.

Etch going on superstructure parts.

The mainmast, taking a look at the etched / brass rod assembly, I decided they did not add much, so adapted the footropes and other bits to fit the plastic parts.

another set of parts, ready for the airbrush.

More soon.

Cheers, Si

7 Likes

at 1/700, this is beyond micro engineering, and bordering on nano engineering, Si :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Nice micro work Si! I know this is a “too small” scale for you, but don’t you just LOVE Flyhawk?!

1 Like

Hi Russ,

Yup, very small indeed, but the quality in both detail and fit of the plastic and the etch do help, In that respect it makes working in this scale less of a trial than I thought it would be

More soon, Cheers, Si

1 Like

Thanks Tim,

I have to agree, I am really enjoying the quality, and I could be tempted to have a go at another 1/700th Flyhawk.Their engineering the best, yes I do love Flyhawk!

Cheers, Si :beers:

Wow Si,

now as everybody already remarked, that is small…really small… but it just looks outstanding! If I wouldn’t know, I would not guess this to be 1/700. Great work, I remember my 1/700 frigate, really tough on your eyes…

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

Thank you Jan,

The quality of the kit and the etch is excellent, which does help. I do agree, it is tough on the eyes. I tend to work on it in 10-15 min sessions, then go and do a bit on something a bit easier to handle for a little while then come back and have another go.

Appreciate your looking in.

Cheers, Si

1 Like

Really nice work Si and welcome to the 700 World…Cheers Mark