Flyhawk 1/700th Königsberg April 1940

Thanks Mark,

It is “fun” to be back, I would be tempted into another Flyhawk build, for the right subject of course.

Cheers, Si

The latest progress.

A bundle of sub assemblies ready for the airbrush

Sprayed and the detail painted.

The main turrets, although the jury seems to be out on whether they were painted yellow or not, I have gone for yellow, it may have painted out or covered at the lime she was sunk.

All fitted in place…

Next another batch of sub assmeblies to be built ready for the old windy stick.

More soon.

Cheers, Si

5 Likes

Some lovely precise work going on with this. Nice work :+1:

Thanks Johnny,

Appreciate you looking in.

Cheers, Si

I tip my hat to you, Si…

My eyes just couldn’t handle that scale.

You’re doing a magnificent job :cowboy_hat_face:

Lookin’ good Si - love the yellow turrets!

Thanks Russ,

The only way I can work in that scale is an optivisor and short sessions, the old do get a little tired rather quikly. The quality of the kit does help. I have not yet ceased to be amazed by the quality of the plastic and the etch.

The support and comments from all of you guys is a big help too.

Thanks again mate.

Cheers,
Si

1 Like

Thanks Tim,

I find the Kreigsmarine’s use of colour on turret tops and swastikas on the foredeck and quarterdeck rather intersting to assist recognistion from the air. The Konigsberg probably had Nazi party flags secured across the foredeck and quarterdeck on the run up to Bergen, it is likely they would have stowed as soon as the ship entered the port. In that case I felt no need to add those.

Cheers, Si

3 Likes

Great work Si!

I hear you, magnifiers and only short periods at a time…same with my 1/700 frigate back than, but the result, the details and the impression of the ship are just outstanding!

And I fully agree with your statement on the air recognition markings, and I like the yellow turret tops, that simply adds to the impression of the model and makes for a much more interesting look! Yellow or red, old discussion, I don’t think anybody knows for sure. I have my Gneisenau turrets red, a future Scharnhorst will get yellow turret tops…

Cheers
Jan

2 Likes

Thank you Jan,

Much appreciated, most of my research has not revealed difinitive answers either on turret top colours.

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers, Si

1 Like

Some small progress, i have been doing a lot screen work of late, so taking easy on my eyes.

The main structures test fitted in place

The 10.5cm and 37mm ready for a coat of paint. I am using the IM parts for the 37mm, the PE looks nice, but are bit 2 dimensional in places.

The 10.5cm fitted.

An overview of the build so far.

Some slow but sure progress soon

Cheers,

Si

4 Likes

Lordy me, I just can’t get over small she is: excellent work and a good kit by Flyhawk combine to deceive the viewer into thinking she’s much bigger :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Your little cruiser is coming together nicely, Si. What is going on with the funnels - was the dark gray part of the ship’s camouflage? Reminds me of German WW1 practice. Cool.

Hi Russ,

It is such a well designed kit, the fit and level of detail is excellent, and the versions with ll the extras in are very complete. It is very enjoyable to build, just my eyes take too long with the small size,

Thanks for looking in mate.

Cheers. Si

1 Like

Hi Tim,

The funnels are painted in a slighly dark sliver, Kreigsmarine warships in the late pre war / early war era tended to have their funnel caps, or in the case of the tall, less substantial funnels like these painted in a heat resitant metalic paint. These just need a dull wash to tone the shiny down a bit.

Cheers, si

Really nice Si. The yellow Turrets set her off rather well…Cheers mark

Thanks Mark,

The yellow turret tops probably gave the skuas something to aim at too.

appreciate you looling in mate.

Cheers, Si

Excellent, Si!

You are bringing her to life! I’m very familiar with the K-Class light cruisers, but only from pictures and drawings, this is the first time getting a feeling for their proportions in 3D, beautiful model. Well, after my F225 in 1/700 im still not ready for another one in that scale. And I agree, from the pictures your Königsberg looks a lot bigger, more than 1/350…
Great build log!

Cheers
Jan

Thank you Jan,

I will admit, as much as I am enjoying the qaulity of this kit, I am not at this stage likely to build another 1/700th kit, too much strain on the eyes.

The build has stalled a bit, I an considering how much of the etch to use, the boats I don’t think the etched cabins will add that much for the effort, some of the detail parts will lift the boats without to much eye strain (I hope).

Hopefully another update before too long.

Cheers, Si

1 Like

Hey Si, just bought my first Flyhawk kit (1/72 SBD-3 Dauntless, which I have plans for a Midway trilogy) and couldn’t help but be a bit blown away by the complex instructions-Are you finding the same thing with their naval offerings I wonder? :thinking: