Flyhawk 1/700th Königsberg April 1940

I’ve built the Flyhawk Agincourt and I’ve just started the Ajax (in Hot from the Molds) and the instructions are as complex as the kits are. Read then reread the instuctions and then look at the parts and read them again or OOPSIE &^%^.

2 Likes

Hi Russ,

The instructions are a bit of a nightmare, especially as the istructions for the brass parts are on a completely seperate sheet. steviecee has the right of it, a lot of checking and rechecking, I have one or several parts that are going to be fun to wriggle into place.

Cheers,

Si

1 Like

Thanks for looking in,

totally agree, but the end product is worth it.

Cheers, Si

I guess it’s a good thing they haven’t ventured into 1/350 yet :crazy_face:

Luckily the SBD-3 is a fairly uncomplicated object :slightly_smiling_face:

A good example of the vague to poor Flyhawk instructions (the 37mm AA guns on the Konigsberg).
Looking at the instructions it appears as if the gun base sits on the half moon. It doesn’t. It fits around the base over the bottom of the base.

1 Like

I don’t know Russ, Flyhawk’s instructions may be a little confusing to say the least, but so far I haven’t found any incorrectly numbered parts, or the lack of details drawings like one manufacturer’s instructions I could mention, just confusion in the layout.

Cheers, Si

1 Like

I did think this was a bit ambiguous but, as the parts only fit one way, it wasn’t so bad. I have just tried on one of the spares and it doesn’t work unless you sit the body of the gun right in the middle of the platform and that looks so wrong/

Cheers, Si

Finally found a few minutes to update progress.

The pulling boats, very nicely moulded for the scale.

The 9m transport boat with the etched cabin and tilt frame fitted. Although the it was not needed there was a spare if a made a mess of this one.

Overhead veiw with most of the boats fitted.

A veiw of the project so far. first section of deck edge railings on. I have lightened the colour of the funnels a bit, but it does need dulling down.

Might not be on the site for a week or two, (or at the bench) too much going on.

Cheers, Si

5 Likes

Those pulling boats! Nano sized! :astonished:

1 Like

Hi Russ,

The pulling boats are tiny, but very well moulded, which made painting straight forward, no etched oars were provided. The etch for the 9m transport was excelent, two more smaller motor boats to build and paint, then just the smaller details.

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers, Si

1 Like

She is coming along very nicely indeed Si. The Turrets really add a splash of Colour…Cheers Mark

Thanks Mark,

There has been a little progress, The quality of the kit is excellet, pity my eyes aren’t. made some progress on the cranes yesterday, considering whether to put the microscopic Arado on the cat.

Cheers, Si

Finally, an update.

The crane and the derrick, the etched parts are excellent and very well behaved. I used the plastic derrick boom as it had a little more detail that a peice of brass rod.

painted and in place.

and with the searchlights fitted.

railings, ladder, cable reels and other tiny details on.

Maindeck railings and on or two other tiny parts to add, then a decision on how much rigging. I am leaning towards just enough to give an impression, and not overpower it withoverscale wires.

More soon, well once my eyes have recoverd.

Cheers, Si

3 Likes

Beautiful lines on these ships, and those offset turrets really draw they eye. Nice work!

By the way, I agree about keeping the rigging proportional to the smaller scale. Looking forward to seeing how you handle it!

2 Likes

Looking good, Si! She’s a tiny one for sure-can understand how you’d be struggling at those sizes, as I know I’d have gone cross eyed by now… :eyes:

Terrible ships in reality but you are right, they look fantastic and the model certainly is doing her justice!

Thanks Tim,

They are elegant and unusual looking Cruisers.

The rigging, I leaning towards the aerials between the masts, they appear from the photographs have found to be single runs, and some of the more “structural” heavy wires coming off the yard arms, omiting most if not all of the signal halyards.

Cheers, Si

Thanks Russ,

I am rather pleased with the way she is turning out.

As much as I am enjoying the process, and the quality of the kit, I am not in the slightest tempted to take another dive into this scale. (famous last words :thinking: )

Cheers, Si

1 Like

Thanks Rory,

They were indeed awful ships, I have always been facinated by the weird layout of the main armament. The Konigsberg in particular as she was the first ship to be sunk in combat by dive bombing, and by an equaly awful aircaft, the Blackburn Skua.

Cheers, Si

1 Like

The Final bits and peices on the Konigsberg…

The maindeck railings done and the rigging started

A few more wires, I am using the finer wire,

Painting in the rigging

A couple of final wires added

And a final overview of the commission ship.

It is a superb kit, the moulded detail outshines some 1/350th kits. All in all it is has been an enjoyable build, except for the strain on the aging eyes.

Cheers, :beers: :beers: Si

6 Likes