For the next time someone makes fun of you for building plastic "toys"!

Is either this or my other passions…

Or…

And scale modeling about the cheapest of all my hobbies.

6 Likes

I’m still ready to discuss, taking that P320 off your hands.

1 Like

Me? Never had a P320…

1 Like

I’m no artist, but some folks here are. If applying paint to canvas is art, then applying it to plastic is too, when done with sufficient skill. And isn’t sculpture the art of taking a block and removing all the unneeded bits for the shape within? A box of sprues is just a block in a specific media.

2 Likes

If the design is intended to be a piece of art, would it be?
Watch at least 5 minutes of this video:

And this, these are made with form over function in mind:

Much like a big art project, such as a cathedral, they are designed by artistic minds. And those who place the bricks? Yes, they build it, but the fact that it is an artistic project means little to them. They simply do it so they can bring food on the table. Sydney Opera House, Montreal Olympic Stadium, Notre-Dame de Paris, etc.

Movies can also be art. Every frame a painting. Random sounds becomes music, like the popular Lo-Fi (short for low fidelity) or people using random objects, not intended to be instrument, to make music.

Some artists even challenged the idea of “art”. Some idea is mentioned in the 1st video. Some other example like Jackson Pollock, or Duchamp with his Fountain.

Some people here have a lot of experience and expertise in painting the models in different styles, some are excellent in scrap building. Even if they give me the same kits, I, and even some of you guys, wouldn’t be able to replicate it.

3 Likes

Model building is about duplication and technique. Very seldom does it inspire emotional reaction. So in general, model building seems more fine craft than art. If a diorama or vignette tells a story that gets an emotional reaction, those select works may transcend to “art”.

Key Differences - Art vs Craft

Per link

The difference between art and craft can be drawn clearly on the following grounds:

1. Art is described as an unstructured and open-ended form of work; that expresses emotions, feelings, and vision. Craft denotes a form of work, involving the creation of physical objects, by the use of hands and brain.

2. Art relies on artistic merit whereas craft is based on learned skills and technique.

3. Art is well known for serving an aesthetic purpose. On the other hand, craft serves human objectives.

4. Art gives particular attention to ideas, feelings and visual qualities. Conversely, craft gives stress on the right use of tools and materials, and the application of technique.

5. There is a flow of emotion in art, which emerges from heart and soul. In contrast, the craft is the product of the mind.

6. Craft can be quantified easily which is not in the case of art.

7. The duplicability of art forms is not possible while craft forms can easily be copied.

8. Art is the consequence of an individual’s innate ability. On the contrary, craft is the result of learned ability and experience.

Conclusion

To sum up this article, we can say that art is something that expresses emotions or imagination. The craft has a tangible form (like moulding, carving, etc.). It is the creation of goods of a utilitarian nature, to serve a human purpose. Art appeals to the mind and makes the connection emotionally, whereas craft only attracts people.

2 Likes

If a painting leaves me totally unimpressed, doesn’t convey any emotions, doesn’t tickle any imagination does that mean that the artist is a hack or is something wrong with me?

4 Likes

IMHO there are a lot of hack artists or in PC speak talent impared artists.

4 Likes

I know that purists will look down their noses at me, But I contend that there is such a thing as “Bad Art”. When art is badly done, and just doesn’t work, it fails, and you move on.

5 Likes

It is hard to argue with that.

Whilst visiting the Baltic Centre on Tyneside, we were treated to an exhibtion by Yoko Ono.

This consisted of a number of exhibits, but included such gems as individual cones of sand poured out from a bucket onto a bare wooden floor and the cream of the crop, strands of her own pubic hair moulded into lumps of bathroom soap bars of the kind once ubiquitous on every bathtub side and framed - one was imaginatively named ‘spider’.

3 Likes

I usually have people comment positively about my hobby when the subject matter arises. They have no idea how entrenched the hobby is until they see my work. Opens up a whole new conversation of how they remember their childhood of doing the same thing. They do think it’s 3D art when explained. Never any negatives.

1 Like

Given that Armour _Buff has given us guidelines to differentiate between art and craft how do we apply that to solve an argument I often have with “ artists “.
I am a big fan of the work of the Wyeth family - all three generations but patriarch N.C. in particular.
The “artist “ thinks their ( the Wyeths) work is “ illustration “ and consequently is of less value then , say, Piet Mondrian. I counter that with anyone with masking tape and three colors of paint can do what Mondrian did . Take a look at N.C. Wyeth’s “ Old Pew “ and decide if it conveys emotion…

2 Likes

Piet Mondrian?

I’ve seen my four year old cousin do similar with Lego’s, I wouldn’t call that art or even craft either but Kitsch not quite on par with…

…remember 75% of a fart is actually art

4 Likes

Does my collection of Elvis on velvet count?

5 Likes

So according to the previously mentioned “ artist “
this is art …
and this isn’t…

eye of the beholder and all that …

6 Likes

Wow. Having to see that? That’s crazy.

1 Like

Piet Mondrian?

Yes. Of course!

1 Like

3 Likes

Let me see if i get it right;

Bob Marley, Freddy Mercury, Little Richard, Johnny Rotten, Johnny Cash, Janis Joplin, Elvis Presley, John Lennon and Kurt Cobain.

2 Likes