Forgotten Wars Group Build

I initially bought a Takom T-55A to use as the base for my Rhodesian T-55 because it looked a nice easy build and how different can a Polish and Russian built T-55 be right…

Right…?

Turns out its quite a lot, mostly in the engine deck area but also in how the fuel lines are run as well as some other small details. Seemed like a good idea to get a kit that is specifically Polish and has all these features.

1 Like

Looking at the box art makes me wonder about a 1/35 scale elephant. Just sayin’…

Yeah T55s almost as complicated as Shermans with all the variants. I’m a big T55 fan and have built all the Takom offerings. Stayed away from Miniart as I’m not interested in interiors but when they started to do the variants without them I took the plunge. Also want to get the Croation version. If you have any questions there are plenty of folks to help. Good luck.

What references do you recommend? I have Cookie Sewell’s book on the T-55. It’s a great book. But I’d love to have something like the Jentz and Doyle books on the Panzer IV that break down variants by time or something. I don’t really know what I’m looking for actually, but more references better, perhaps?

To be honest I don’t bother with references. Much rather spend time building than chasing down photos etc. I will occasionally delve into some research but tend to stay away. I’m a retired college professor and did my share of research in my professional life and have no interest in doing it got my hobby.

1 Like

Hi all,
Here is my entry - Type 59 from Takom. I still haven’t decided which conflict to place this tank (Iran-Irak war or SIno-Vietnamese War). I started cleaning some of the pieces.

Imgur

2 Likes

Welcome, glad you are joining. Is that a kit version that was only available in Asia? What kind of markings come with it?

Yes, this kit version was only available in Asia. The kit only comes with Chinese markings.

Not sure how this is going to work. I copied a piece of the instructions for my T-55. This is said to be probably an Iraqi tank captured by Iran and used in the Iran Iraq wars. So, can anyone here read Arabic? I’ thinking that the writing below was from time in Iraqi service and the orange blotch with the symbol was just painted over that. I’m wondering if I left the orange blot off would it be as it appeared in Iraqi service? Also the end of the gun barrel is in orange, white, and green which I imagine was another Iranian overpaint.

Really don’t know - all help is welcomed!

I did the exact scheme you are considering. T55 Polish Production The orange squares were painted over the Arabic script. The paint on the gun barrel is also Iranian. I really wanted to do the Libyan version but couldn’t pull off the Arabic script in red. Can’t figure out why they didn’t supply decals for those. Good luck.

so box on the D30 cracked open and started. As the turret isn’t there, and there is a large hole, I decided some sort of basic interior needed to be done. Started with the engine bulkhead. Used primeportal, track-links and a miniart T-34 build to try to work out how it should look

Thanks. Looking at the kit decals they only give the decals for the part of the writing that is visible outside the orange paintover, so I guess I’ll do the orange paintover and put it in Iranian service! I love your model. I hope mine comes out as well.

more progress on the RFM T-34 D30… no evidence that the floor was like that but decided they would have it raised to allow control cables/rods to run without interfering with the crew… Also started on the front- assume they are some sort of fire extinguisher. Next up, seats and VERY rough control levers…

1 Like

more progress on the Syrian T-34/D30 seats and controls in (not 100% accurate but fills the space in)… thought I was done but then as there is a machine gun I need to add the spare ammo racks (I assume that is what it is in front of the right hand seat… unfortunately no gun parts for the interior so will need to make “something” I guess.

2 Likes

That’s some serious scratch building!

1 Like

Your “rough approximations” look better than most people’s super-detailed parts, especially mine! Looks awesome.
Ken.

1 Like

OK, I’m not starting at the beginning, but I’ll get to that. My plan is the Heller T-28 Trojan / Fennec. Seeings as it’s a French kit I need some translation help. Not from French to English, but Heller to Heller(?).

Maybe it’s large enough to read, the callouts on the instructions are 4 digit codes starting with 7. The manufacturer’s callouts are 4 digits codes starting with 9!!!.
I’m hoping that since the propeller tips are 7002 and 9002 is Bright Yellow I can assume that just swapping the 7 and 9 I can wade through it. Anyone else have any fun with this silliness? :wave:

progress on the T34/D30 - calling the interior done with the final 4 crew seats… not brilliant and will likely fall out when painted but they add a little to the space…

1 Like

I’ve decide to change my entry:

I intend to build this as an IRGC vehicle from my Iran-Iraq wars book. If I manage to get a better picture that tells me it is a T-54-3 then it will become something different for some other forgotten war!

1 Like

For your consideration on my proposed entry into this campaign.

The country of Djibouti (in Africa, which shares it borders with Eritrea, Ethiopia, and Somalia), ordered 12 BTR-60PB’s in 1979, from Iraq and received them as “aid” in 1980 (the vehicles were previously in Iraqi service). Later, only one was fitted with a turret from the French AML-90 armored car (as the chassis of the AML 90 was totaled in an accident). From what is known, it was never used in combat, pretty much being used for parades. However, Djibouti has had constant border incursions with their immediate neighbors for decades, and their regular BTR 60’s have participated in the defense. Conflicting stories exist about the fate of this one particular vehicle. I started cleaning up seams on Trumpeter’s BTR 60 less than a week ago, and the AML 90 turret will be robbed from a Takom kit later on.

2 Likes