French 75

This past weekend I got Shanghaied into dog sitting for my middle daughter at her place… it’s a long story… and it was also our monthly build & BS SoCal AMPS Zoom meeting on Saturday. So to pass the time, I brought along this kit. figuring it might go fairly quickly…

After about 3 or so hours, I had gotten this much done…

I didn’t realize that the kit has photo etch parts, so I did not bring what I wold have needed for cutting and gluing PE, so this is where I stopped. I did this test fit of the wheels and gun shield, just to see how it will look…

Yesterday I added the PE parts and the gun shield, then let that dry overnite before priming… I have not glued on the wheels yet to aid in painting.

Today I gave it a coat of Mig Ammo One Shot Primer

Tomorrow I’ll get the painting done… and gluing the wheels on…

16 Likes

That’s a nice little thing. Is it Polish Army?

1 Like

I really like that kit. Did it come with any figures?

1 Like

@phantom_phanatic, Stephen this kit is the French Army WWII version.

@Elefant6, Michael, this boxing does not come with figures. But… the Polish version that IBG also makes does come with a gun crew… go figure. I need to figure out a crew for this…

4 Likes

Let me help with an idea - Polish artillery crew pulling a French 75 with a Morris C8 Quad Gun Tractor.

10 Likes

Nah, this one is going to be 1940, Battle of France…

French-75mm-ATG

Perhaps one day I’ll get the 1939 Polish version with crew figures.

5 Likes

Thanks. I did wonder because IBG do a lot of Polish equipment (and about time too). A very welcome kit.

2 Likes

If you can get hold of Heller 25mm AT gun (it usually comes with their R35 tank), they have a set of figures for that gun. You would need to replace heads (at least some DML or similar) and use the helmets and other gear. Other than that, they have good poses and could be built fairly decent.
Nice work so far!

2 Likes

That looks like a nice kit. Nice job!

1 Like

They also do the U.S. version which saw some action in the Philippines and Java in 1941-'42.

3 Likes

@iguanac, Mark, I actually have both early boxings of the Heller R-35 and H-35 in my stash that each comes with the 25mm AT gun. I was thinking about pirating the crew from one…

@Dan, thanks Dan. It is a nice kit.

@shermadude, I like the idea of the US French 75 in the Phillipines. Perhaps a future purchase… :thinking:

1 Like

Determining which US 75mm artillery saw action in the Philippines isn’t easy. Most primary sources just state the caliber of weapons present not the model. But I’ve not seen any evidence of the French 75 being used as a towed weapon in the Philippines in WW2. I’d love to see a picture of the French 75 in the Philippines. The US/Philippine forces used the US manufactured 75mm version of the British 18 pounder. The “British” 75mm guns were deemed to be more suitable for use in the Pacific and were allocated to Hawaii and the Philippines. There were two versions: 75mm Field Gun Model of 1917 (British) was the original wooden wheeled gun, while the 75mm Field Gun on Carriage Model 1917A1 was modified with pneumatic tires and new axles for towing behind trucks. Williford states that 174 Model 1917s were in the Philippines with about two thirds of them being the high-speed version.

The 2nd Battalion 131st Field Artillery was on its way to the Philippines when war broke out. It was diverted to Java were it later surrendered after expending its meager load of ammunition. This unit was equipped with the French 75. It was equipped with the M1897A4 “High Speed” truck drawn guns in 1933. Other units headed for the Philippines were hastily reequipped with the latest and greatest weapon systems before embarking. So, they MAY have floated with the latest M2A2 split trail carriage French 75. Again, I’d love to see a photo of this unit in Java or while embarking.

4 Likes

Rick, I have the US Army WW2 History Series Book, Fall of the Philippines. I’ll need to go through it and see if there are any photos of towed artillery in there. I do recall photos of the M3 GMC, self propelled 75mm half track mount there. I never paid much attention to any towed artillery photos in the book. I always was interested in the emplaced coastal artillery mounts…

2 Likes

So painting begins…

Yesterday in the midday I airbrushed on a coat of Gunze Aqueous Khaki Green for the base color

In the evening I painted the tires with Model Color Black Gray

then today I started weathering the tires, and on some of the trail and suspension… a glaze coat of Model Color Stone Gray

Tomorrow I should get the rest finished…

12 Likes

Nice job on a very interesting kit. The french 75 is a very important piece of artillery history.

3 Likes

Thank you Robert. Yes, the French 75 is really the starting point of modern artillery pieces.

4 Likes

That’s an excellent job on a nice little model there Stik! I’ll have to get me one of them it looks like, stash be damned

2 Likes

It took less time than me building the DES Kit !
I will choose that kit next time.

The breech block of your gun is open. Intentionally ?

Eric

1 Like

@metalhead85, thanks Richard. Just pick the version of this gun you want and buy it. It’s a great weekend project.

@JFeder504, Eric, the breech has a concave section at the top. That probably gives the appearance of it being open. But out of the box, that is how it’s shown to be put together. There is no alternative part or positioning.

1 Like

Hi ! I don’t know about the kit parts and their fit. With artillery guns and kit instructions there are ways for errors ! The modeler must study the real gun ( mostly between their firing and transport position ). Here with the 75mm modeèle 1897, the breech is a round rotating system on an elliptic body.
This is how it shows in closed position :

On the kit position, the quarter moon allows to slide the shell.
The most complicated thing with that gun is the locking system for blocking the wheels, the system is making pivot for the “seats” and would disable fire by the crew if the brakes are not “on”, with an internal tension rack actionned through the small crank showing thru the armour shield … :pleading_face:

Don’t expect to be 100% accurate !!!

Eric

2 Likes