Hello fellow modelers.
Thought I’d share another (2nd) small WWII diorama/vignette that I completed recently for the ‘Wow, you’ve got a great figure’ Campaign. Once again, I got side-tracked and dove head-long into base construction in order to satisfy my building jones. … Here ya’ go!
PVT Phillups topping-off gerry cans at the ‘Fuel Dump’ — one of the regular maintenance stops along the ‘Red Ball Express’ loop.
The cigarette was an afterthought. … “Hey GI, can I bum one of those?”
A last-minute addition was the gerry can fuel spill at the rear of the base. Tee-hee!
A few reference images.
Following is a background story and a YouTube video pulled from the web.
“Keep ‘em Rolling”: 82 Days on the Red Ball Express
African American truck drivers of the Red Ball Express kept American units supplied in the race across France during the summer and fall of 1944.
Note: Signage reference can be found at approximate time-stamp: 35:10.
Here are some WIP photos along with product call-outs.
My bright idea to bog myself down with more work began with a leftover figure — nicely moulded from MiniArt (far left) and some arm swap-outs from the center figure.
I already had the entire MiniArt US Fuel Drums assembled, so all that was needed was to glue three together and add the very nice decals.
I did some minor modifications to the nice Jerry Can stacks from both Gecko Models and Tasca/Asuka.
Hard to resist that fire extinguisher from the MiniArt Tool Set. I think it added a nice color splash to the over-all scene.
Initial concept and dry-fit.
Keeping the delicate figure/pump assembly removable proved to be a smart move on my part for ease of modification and painting later on.
Hornet Hand try-outs… I made things more difficult for myself by choosing left hand No. 2. Whenever there was a need to work on the figure, I had to clip the hose at the pump connection in order to thread it through. But I think it does look much better.
A Styrofoam block was cut for the base. After sealing it with White PVA Glue, Mr. Surfacer 1000 was applied to simulate concrete. Here, a clamp is used to mush-down the fuel can stack after PVA glueing to the mat.
A little super-detailing… Fuel Plug with Allen Key attached.
Some signage examples in different sizes.
I made a mid-construction title change for the base placard. Here it is flipped-over with the decal redone.
• Figure: MiniArt (35180) US Army Drivers (1 of 5 figure set) + replacement Hornet Hands.
• Fire Extinguisher: MiniArt (35603) WWII Tool Set.
• Fuel Drums: MiniArt (35592) US Fuel Drums 55 Gals.
• Pump Hose: Scrap Electronics Wire.
• Stacked Fuel Cans: Gecko (35GM0036) WWII US 20L Jerry Can set.
• Foreground Fuel Cans: Tasca/Asuka (35-L14) US Jerry Cans.
• Signpost: Basswood (1.875” x 0.125” x 0.125”).
• Placards: Evergreen Sheet Styrene No. 9009, .005” (0.13mm).
• Large Placard Decals: Archer (AFT35501W) Generic Stencil Style Lettering (White).
• Small Placard Decals: Dragon M21 Mortar Motor Carriage (from spares box).
• Ground Mat: Ammo by Mig (8353) Spring Steppe (5"x9" mat).
Paints, gasoline spills, etc.
• Vallejo Acrylics, Varnishes, and Washes.
• AK Interactive (8028) Puddles Effects Liquid.
• Tamiya Flat Clear (TS-80).
So that’s it for this one. Now it’s onto the next — one of my many incomplete projects.
Hope you get a kick outa’ the build. And remember… NO SMOKING NEAR FLAMMABLES!