Gate guards and display pieces

Morning all, was just sitting here thinking that many of us have mentioned vehicles located in our areas. Wondered if we could list where they are located in case we are traveling in those areas. Here in my town, Quincy, IL.,we have an IL. Veterans Home that has a M1917 155,M60,M5, M43, and a UH-1H on outside display. They also have an All Wars Museum that has a Willys MB,a M38a1 and an M274 Mule. Also, the Amvets post just up the road in Ursa has an 105 on outside display. Anyway, thought it might make for something that could be of interest if traveling around the country. Later, Wayne

1 Like

Not in my area, but a recent post on one.

1 Like

Maybe worth a look for US members

http://the.shadock.free.fr/The_USA_Historical_AFV_Register.pdf

H.P.

4 Likes

Yeah, that was what got me thinking about it. ha ha Wayne

1 Like

There is a German Krupp 210mm Morser in Waterbury, Connecticut. It has the WWII style wheels. It’s in excellent condition. Don’t ask me how it got there.

There’s a 105mm U-boat deck gun in a little town square in Chepstow, Wales. I was puzzled when I first saw it unexpectedly on a visit, but it seems to be a gift of the King at the end of WWI - the U-boat in question was UB91.

1 Like

There is an M3A1 Stuart on the town green in New Milford, Connecticut.

There is one in a public park in Bangor, North Down. Krupp deck gun from the Imperial German Navy U-19- still in great condition despite its age.

There is also a WW1 German artillery piece at the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers Musuem in Enniskillen- also in great condition for its age.

1 Like

Talking about German submarine guns, here’s the 8,8 cm deck gun of the U -Boot (Type VII C) UB766 on display in front of the Musée mémorial international de la Bataille de l’Atlantique at the Pointe de Penhir in Brittany

The UB766 was incorporated in the French Navy in 1945, where she served as Laubie until 1961.

H.P.

2 Likes

I thought I replied earlier on this thread, anyway, there is an M4A3 76mm HVSS on Rt 69 in Wolcott CT. In good shape, contemporary news said it served in the ETO, but I can’t confirm. In Branford CT there is (as of last year) an M114 in front of the old Armory, former home of a troop of the 26th Cavalry.
In response to the question about the Krupp mortar in Waterbury CT, it was indeed captured in WWI, awarded to the City in late teens or early twenties for it’s performance in War Bond sales during the war. It was recently refurbished, by a local group.

1 Like