Ghost of Kyiv MiG-29

Nikita, how can your propaganda call the Ukrainians per se “Nazis” when their president is a jew? There must be some misunderstanding in history. You should better shut off RT …

Robin, you forgot to mention Saddam (Kuwait 1990).

UA

1 Like

Sometimes model building isn’t about being a hobby. There comes a time when you have to call a bad thing a bad thing. Models and dioramas can record events in history in a way a written description or a documentary cannot.
Like this one:

Equipment question for the Airplanes :airplane: experts.

Air to Air assuming equal pilot training how well do the following aircraft types match ups shape up in air to air missle dog fights & air to air close Silician knife fighting aka (gun vs gun)?

Mig 29 vs Su-35
Mig 29 vs Su-27

My understanding, being an armor modeler is probably marginal. I had the impression the Mig 29 was more of scrambling interceptor that can pull 9g turns but it isn’t designed for tight in fighting…basically similar in many ways to an F-18 Hornet. Seems like with all the ECM/ECCM radar clutter that’s bound to occur the Mig 29’s smaller size would be a fantastic advantage against those newer bigger flying frigates.

In the BVR arena, I’d put my money on the Flanker over the Fulcrum. But if it gets to the turn and burn up close knife fight, I’d say it would be up to the pilot who could get the most out of his machine and exploit his opponents weak points the most at the same time. Both types should have the same IR guided dogfight missiles with the helmet mounted sight for those high angle off bore sight shots.

I’m sure some of you have seen this article or a mention of it in the news but I thought I would post it as it is interesting in regards to air operations in the conflict.

Yes, but i’m talking about the Harrier (a marvellous British invention) and their integration on RN carriers.

The ski jump was seen as a safe and efficient way of launching Sea Harriers from RN ships (scratch that, it IS a safe and efficient way). It also (apparently) represents a saving in maintenance costs to the aircraft with regards to airframe stress.

You lot keep your your flat decks, we’ll keep our innovative ski jump solution ta :slight_smile:

Psychiatrists call that ‘deflection’ not to mention that its quite clearly bovine faeces…

Here’s DN Models take on the “Ghost”.

3 Likes

Khouli, for decades, the Harrier was the first functional, operational, and best solution to the challenge of high performance V/STOL. Hats off to Hawker Siddley and the British engineers to make it happen. And as so amply demonstrated, us colonials will often take your developments and run with them. The angled flight deck and mirror lights landing system are two more examples of RN developments that we have also adopted. I’m just curious as to why the ski ramp was not. I’m sure that they at least looked at it.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fact-mythmaking-blend-ukraines-information-190837967.html

Well, you do give up space below deck and it limits what you can launch I suppose…

I’d forgotten about the flight deck ‘meat ball’.

The ethics of modelling ‘bad guys’ like the Nazis or Imperial Japanese have been debated for many years now, even down to minutiae like ‘swastikas or not’. We have the first real war of the social media age going on right now, and both sides are using ships and aircraft and vehicles that have been kitted over the past few decades. We’re going to be building them in Ukrainian markings and Russian markings just like we’ve been building all sides’ vehicles before. The Ghost of Kyiv was a videogame clip - but it’s still a neat looking aircraft (no matter which side you’re cheering for) and folks will be building it for a long time to come. I just think we ought to see the modeling side of this conflict in light of all the previous conflicts we model.

2 Likes

There’s a “What If” campaign currently happening. How about an A-10 in Ukrainian markings with an American Volunteer Group “Flying Tiger” emblem on the engine cowlings? Digital camo if you’re a masochist…

Regards,

M

4 Likes

Hmmmm….

3 Likes

Although your “equal pilot trainign” argument is a bit off, considering that the MIG-29 is the low end of the high/low mix (with the SU-27 being the high end) the answer should be obvious.

An F-16 pilot I spoke once who had trained against German MIG-29 after the wall came down) claimed that the MIG-29 has a relatively small range; The art is to keep the plane busy until it runs out of fuel and needs to go home.

Similar question could be:

if you set an F-15 against an F-16, who would win?

This would better describe the MIG-25 or MIG 31.

The MIG 29 isa typical dogfighhter, compare it to the F-16.

1 Like

Not so masochist yet :joy::joy::joy::joy:.

2 Likes

Nope! Just found this statement of the Polish government from 11:30 a.m. today on a german news ticker (translated via Mr. Google again … :wink:)

➤ Poland reiterates: Do not send warplanes to Ukraine
Poland has again denied reports that the country plans to supply Ukraine with Soviet-designed fighter jets. “Poland will not send its fighter jets to Ukraine and will not allow its airports to be used. We are helping significantly in many other areas,” the Warsaw government said on Twitter on Sunday. She referred to a statement by the Polish General Staff on Thursday. It said that all Polish MiG-29 fighter jets remained at their home bases and that they were also marked with the red and white national emblem of the Polish Air Force.

Several media had previously reported that Poland would provide MiG fighter jets to Ukraine in exchange for F-16 fighter jets from the United States.

UA

the one great advantage of using a runway during take off for the Harrier is range. A vertical take off must really suck the fuel, as it is limited to around three hundred miles. While the conventional take off takes it out to over five hundred miles so they claim. As a comparison; the A10 with a full war load has about 800 miles of range. What a Harrier’s war load is I just don’t know, but an A10 is good for 8,000 pounds.
gary

Wiki says hard points can hold 16 for the A-10 and 9 for Harrier.

Spanish Navy Harriers can load up to 6000kg in 7 stations, plus the cannon