Gulf War 30th Anniversary Campaign

So I made some progress since last time!
The Tornado is painted decayed and awaiting weathering! I’m super happy with how it looks so far! All that’s left is to paint the gear bays and afterburners.

Then disaster struck… I was applying a oil wash when as I moved my hand hold on it the Tornado slipped and smashed onto the floor…
(It was hit by a SAM on a low level strike on a Iraqi airfield.)

The fuel tanks, ECM pod, canopy, vertical stabilizer, tiny antennas, horizontal stabilizer, airbrake and fuel tanks were knocked off…

The damage seems fixable. I’m saved though by the fact that the Tornados were painted in country so their paint jobs were less then perfect and some repainted spots will fit right in.

Good news! I wired and painted the landing gear then test fit them and it sits on its landing gear!

Next update when this is all fixed. (Fingers crossed)

4 Likes

Ezra, the paint job looks good and I am sure it will look great after repairs are made to the kit. I do love the aesthetic of the Tornado. Its solid and chunky!

1 Like

Thanks Rory.
Ive already glued the vertical and horizontal stabilizers back on with very little fuss, there is only a small gap on one side of the tail.

@Panzer_modeler great come back after that accident, I can’t wait to see the finished kit. are you planning to build a diorama for it?

I dont think so David. Only for the reason of I have so many other WIPs I need to finish.

Well i was going great guns lastnight until i started t build the commanders cupola and discovered that the damn side panels are riddled with injector pin marks so i have filled them with perfect putty and i am waiting for that to set, probably wont be able to do any more work until next weekend now

3 Likes

Ran into a similar issue with my challenger 1. Tamiya are usually reasonably good with hiding the pin marks but the stowage baskets were also covered in them. A whole lot of putty and sanding was done over the weekend.

2 Likes

Hey folks, getting close to the finish line on my two projects.

Here’s the Scimitar after weathering:

And here’s the Jaguar after the latest round of weathering as well

10 Likes

@kunjuro you’ve done a remarkable job on both models they look fantastic. what paint did you use on both kits?

1 Like

Both looking top shelf. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

James, they are excellent builds. They are coming along marvellously.

1 Like

Thanks @Klaus-Adler @Armorsmith and @petbat

For the Scimitar, I used a mix of Tamiya XF59 Desert Yellow , XF-57 Buff , and XF-19 Sky grey as recommended by an old thread.

For the Jaguar, I used Tamiya XF-78 Wooden Deck Tan to replicate the color. I was told that the so called “desert pink” paint used on the British Aircraft looked tan but shifted to a slightly pinkish color when applied on the plane itself. I think XF-78 looks good enough - some people might want to add a bit of red if you want the more pinkish color seen in some photos but I wanted to keep the base color light to account for the weathering and the smaller scale-effect on the paint.

1 Like

@kunjuro what are the ratios for this mix as I have never heard of it but I am keen to try it.

All major construction is completed on the Challenger and I can move onto the painting phase of the build.

I loved building this kit. Typical Tamiya in that it went together really well. I used PE sparsely and it really adds to the kit.

Added some wire to the field-telephone spool so it looks correct. Drilled out the antenna mounts ready for later. You can also see some of the injector pin marks I had to deal with. Looking at the photo I can see that mold line on the antenna mount. I will be dealing with that later :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

PE Mesh fitted perfectly.

Its the small things that make me happy. I got to put lil windscreen wipers on the commanders cupola and it makes me un-naturally happy.

Same again with the MG, just adding that hanging chain added to the look. Had to fill in that very visible pin mark.

6 Likes

Looking very nice so far Rory, as you said, it’s the little details that can give it so much. I’m glad you did the Comd’s wiper blades, I forgot those when I did my Chally1.

Looking good Rory. If I can make one suggestion? - the moulded in handles on the rear hatch that go all the way down to the hull. It looks way better when you remove them and replace with wire.

Normally I don’t care to much about molded handles but I have gone back and looked at some photos of the real vehicle and yikes!, I will definitely be removing those. Thank you pointing it out.

1 Like

You are doing such a great job with the other details, this would have stood out ‘like a sore thumb’ against them.

I went a bit nuts on my build, but those handles were one of the first things I replaced:

3 Likes

Went back and removed the molded on handles. Had to rebuild the weld seam with some stretched sprue and added some spare PE handles. Looks much better.

6 Likes

This was the ratio suggested:
. Op Granby (1991) XF59 x 4 + XF57 x 1 + XF19 x 1

I was told that OP Granby vehicles looked closer to a grey-tan ish color wheras OP Telic was yellow-er :slight_smile:

2 Likes