Hangar Queen 11

Great to have you back. Sorry for your loss. Hope 2021 will be better for all of us.

Good luck with the Spitfire :+1:t2:

Hello all.

Since I dropped the ball on my Battle of Britian Spitfire :see_no_evil: build I will bring it over to this campaign to finish up.

20201104-172227-1

Here is my entry… I try to make this kit for a campaign… and its not finished!!!
02 by Shaky962, en Flickr

1 Like

Well I failed to get my Italeri Me262 B-1a/U1 across the line for Hangar Queens 10, so it can just roll over into HQ11!

We basically finished 2020 in primer.

Cheers, D

2 Likes

Here or in the open forum entries, I’ll post in both.

DSC00608 (Small)

DSC00629 (Small)

More soon.

2 Likes

Trying to blast thru the decals tonight and then weather.

2 Likes

Great builds for this campaign, guys.

Damian, good to see you in this campaign. Keep rolling that storm bird in the hangar queen campaigns - eventually it will get finished :wink: :zipper_mouth_face: :grinning:

1 Like

Well I am going to end this build. This was supposed to be a model just to test doing panel washes. So it came out better than I though it would. but I had the decals silver on me and I lost the gear for wheels up flight. So it sits on landing gear until I get that figured out. Eventually I will try doing some chipping on it. Quite a few flaws. But I can carry some learned knowledge forward for the B 17 build.

4 Likes

Completed.

DSC00676 (Small)

Full blog is up as well. Thanks Everyone.

4 Likes

Beautiful beast, Barnes! Congrats on finishing! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks, she should sell quick for the charity people. Only trouble is… I have more shelf queens to do Bahahahahaha.

Hello Boys & Girls,

By accident this is my first post on new forums (hope not the last :sweat_smile: ).

I found some Hurricanes from Arma Hobby (1/72nd scale) who were lying hidden in some … shoe box (probably left them there to dry for about a year or so).
So I’d like to join with these two, if you don’t mind.

Current state is as on following picture:
Planes are assembled & both are primed and preshaded in “I don’t know what I’m doing” style. There are only few parts left unglued (undercarriage, exhausts and antenna mast).

In next step I’m going to paint them with Hataka Orange line dedicated paints (these would be C009 Dark Earth, C026 Sky “Type S” & C016 Dark Green.

Cheers,
Radek

2 Likes

I built an Arma Hobby 1/72 Hurricane Mk I last year, it was a nice kit. Looks like you’re doing good with these two. :wave:

1 Like

@md72 . Thanks Mark, did you have any issues with this kit? Just asking, because overall this is indeed a good quality and quite well manufactured kit, but I had some issues fitting front canopy and instrument panel (looked like they both were too wide for their “slots”).

Painting continues - I got them covered in camo, incl some bonus areas painted (black pads on wings and red paint at gun mounts). I’m going to build both in 303rd Squadron markings. One with red gun pods will be RF-R (R4175) flown by Sgt pilot Josek Frantisek. Other one will be RF-F (V6684) flown by Sqdn Leader Witold Urbanowicz.

Here’s the current state of the build.

Cheers,
Radek

1 Like

Most of the issues were self induced. I recall the cockpit and all the bracing was a bit fiddly and I didn’t get it quite right, don’t recall and IP issues, but I did manage to lose the control stick. :wave:

Ok, managed to apply decals on both Hurricanes. I must admin - these Techmod transfers are love and hate story for me :slight_smile: - from one side they’re very sharp in quality, well designed, thin, but being thin make them very vulnerable to my clumsy skills - they break, in result I had to buy another set of aftermarket decals from Techmod for RF-F plane and they were much better than kit decals.

Another interesting fact - I’m using hataka orange paints. To secure decals I used hataka orange gloss varnish and also X-22 from Tamiya, with 2 days of drying time between hataka & Tamiya and later 2 days before applying decals. I used Microsol SET/SOL & GSI Mark Softer Neo to settle decals. I found that in some places, despite quite good varnish layer, decal solutions penetrated and melted paint. Nothing that I couldn’t recover, but that was unexpected.

Here’s the current condition of both planes:

Cheers,
Radek

1 Like

Hi All!

Lots of nice things going on here! Radek, very nice!

Well, I’ve kind of gotten to a toss up, an Oscar Ki-43 I started about a year and half ago, while watching over my sister-in-laws coffin during her viewing.

And/or the Fujimi F-15 I started for the Terrible Teens campaign.

I’m sure I’ll figure it out! Keep up the great work!

2 Likes

Well, Looks like I’ve got two more now. :slightly_frowning_face:
Matchbox 1/71 F3D-2 from Korea the Forgotten War

Finally got the primer on it but there’s about 5 more coats of paint to go.
Special Hobby 1/72 F3F-2 from Biplanes of WWII.
Plenty of assembly, painting and rigging to go.
Hopefully one of them will be my first completed Hanger Queen this year. :wave:

2 Likes

Here is my entry for this campaign - my F-86 from the Korean War campaign. Real life got in the way of finishing it. This time I hope I can finish it for this campaign.

The kit comes with the old Academy decals. Famous for being super stiff and resisting to conform to any surface. I have some decals as backup if I have to give up. :wink:

Hope to make a diorama with some maintenance scene - maybe with an F-84 included.

Some research to be done to get the scene right.

More to follow :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like