Heart of the Beast AutoModeler Group Build

Well I will be building this, well once I find the correct colour green :joy:.
1/24th Fujimi Porsche 917K.

Andy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well folks, it’s the morning of April 1 here in the Antipodes, so I suppose we are officially allowed to unbox and start cutting!

Best of luck to everybody with your builds, we will continue to post in this thread for the duration of the Group Build to make it easy to refer back to the lead-in discussions.

I will follow my tradition of getting started on the first day of the Group Build once I get finished with work tonight.

Cheers, D

2 Likes

You may find the colour that you are looking for:-

I just ordered red for my jag here.
:v:

1 Like

Thanks.
Found the exact same colour from Zero Paints as well.
I will properly get the Zero one as its easier to get in the UK.
Andy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Opps, better order some Alfa Romeo Rosso then!

1 Like

Front

Hello Gentleman,
I have been admiring the work on this site since last November. Since I am about to retire in 3 months I thought I may be able to enter a group build and actually have a shot at finishing it on time. So I offer to the group my entry. The old Monogram Porsche 904. I will build it to represent the first 904 to touch the shores of England, #904-045. Owned and driven by WW2 Spitfire pilot Dickie Stoop. Only 904 to ever carry the color “Irish Green”. The color pictures I hope I am successful at posting here are from an engine swap that was completed to the car from it’s original 4 cylinder to a 6 cylinder. Apparently this was done to preserve the valuable 4 cylinder engine. I am not a Porsche expert so if I speak out of turn here straighten me out. The color seems to match when it was sold by Sotheby’s for 1,288,000 Euro back in 2014. That is what I will shoot for. First time posting on this site so I might so good chance I will screw a couple up.
Rick

7 Likes

Welcome to the site Rick, great to have you on board! Well done on the impending retirement as well, hopefully plenty of bench time in your near future.

@Joel_W and @Kpnuts will be especially pleased to see your build here, being the mad Porsche fans that they are.

Looking forward to following your build, lots of progress updates is always a good thing for all of us, and please don’t hesitate to ask if there’s anything around the site you need help with.

Cheers, D

1 Like

Thanks for the warm welcome
Fantastic…I pick a car I have little knowledge of and put it on a site with 2 experts!!!
Should have stayed with the Packard :smirk:

1 Like

Yeah, I feel the same when I join in with the aircraft group builds :thinking:

At the end of the day, we are all here to learn and improve, but most of all to relax and enjoy, so have no fear and just dive in!

Cheers, D

Absolutely. When hobbies become stress it is time to pack it in.

Just joking, in reality it will be great to have some expertise if I get stuck.

Rick welcome to a great site and that Porker is a beauty, sure you will do her justice.

Appreciate the welcome. I am looking forward to the build.

Guys,
I’ve used Gravity of Spain for paints for years, and all I can tell you is that their paints are fantastic, accurate, and ready for air brushing. Plus they’ll make any custom color you need for a build, just takes extra time. They ship to the USA via DHL so I get my paints in 3-4 day’s time.

joel

1 Like

Rick,
Welcome to our little corner of the KitMakers modeling world, you’re going to really like it here. As for retiring, I’ve been retired for over 3 years but worked full time running a drug store till I was 70. Should have stuck to my original plan and said good-bye at 67. My wife hates my retirement as I’m always home or so she says, but I love it as every day is a vacation that just never ends.

To the contrary of what D has said about my knowledge of Porsches, believe me I don’t know all that much, so Google plus books are my best friends at times.

Early Porsches like the Iconic 904 are a real joy to see as builds are few and far between since the kit options are few if any. Your choice of Porsche and the fact that’s it’s a old Monogram kit done by their expert master craftsmen will be a special build to follow.

And thank you for the background of the actual car you’re building. As far as the color goes, Iris Green was a shade or two lighter then BRG, but back in those days, colors varied by whomever mixed the paint to a supplied chip or swatch.

Are you going to build the 4 cylinder version or swap it out for a boxer 6?

joel

That is a common statement to guys I talk to who are retired. They all wish they would have done it sooner. Will take some getting used to. Except for 1 week vacations I have worked continuously for the last 48 years.

Colors…what a can of worms that is. Lighter the BRG? I agree it does appear that way, but which BRG? One of my other projects after retirement is to finish putting my 75 MGB back together. Modified it with some Sebring valances and tossed the rubber bumpers. Original color is Damask Red. Going to change over to BRG. There are a dozen of them. :thinking:

I will keep the 904 with a 4 cylinder as the factory delivered it. I can’t find any detail pics of the original 904-045 so I will do the car as it was sold at auction in 2014. It still had the 4 cylinder at that point. I will just mix enough paint colors up until it matches the photos.

Hi Rick, welcome aboard. I plan to build a late model Dodge Challenger, but won’t get to it till I finish my Ferrari Testarossa from the Dreams are free build. Be careful with stories on the 75 MGB, you’ll have Joel at your place begging to spin wrenches for ya. My mom had a 74 1/2 Yellow MGB, eventually had it repainted BRG. I’d hoped to inherit it, but they sold it off when their mechanic retired, no one else could keep it going. :wave:

1 Like

Hey come on over. Always room in the garage. Especially when I get to sanding body filler.:grin:

It wasn’t suppose to be a full blown rebuild. It was running just fine. Then I spotted a tiny spec of rust on the lower front fender. No big deal we can fix that. Except that migrated all the way to the back fender. I ended up fully replacing both sill assemblies and lower front fenders. So at that point I said may as well modify!!!

I was actually suppose to be working on a basket case 54 MGTF which is in boxes now waiting its turn.

Good luck with the Dodge. Will be watching the build.

After my dream build and working on my CAT D9 I am going to build the Jag out of the box and just enjoy the simple kit.

I have Gravity paint on order which costs more than the kit! :yum:
:v:

3 Likes

I use to own an E-type Jag. An early 3.8 version, not a convertible unfortunately, but I will be following along for this. Will it be red?

cheers
Michael

And being Easter Friday here, I started on the Ferrari, a 1967 F1 car, the 312.
I am building Chris Amon’s car as at Monza. This is him in action in 1967 in a slightly different version.

So started prep on the engine. For those who followed the pink porsche build you will remember there there are a lot of holes to drill. I am getting in early this time.
The Ferrari engine was a narrow 3 litre V12, putting out about 400 bhp. While useful, it was surpassed in '67 by the Ford Cosworth DFV.
The kit has a resin bloc with all other fittings in white metal.

Hopefully it ends up something like this.

cheers
Michael

3 Likes