Help with M1 Abrams turret

Hi guys.
Has anybody any idea where i can find some references for the turret blast panels and .50 cal mount and firing set up for the M1 Abrams tank please?.This is the first model M1 and not M1a1 onwards.Im sure i recall somebody telling me the .50 cal has a different firing set up then the a1 etc?.Would the Tankograd m1 book be worth getting for details for modelling purposes?.
Thanks guys.
Richard

2 Likes

the coupola or commander weapon station on the M1 and M1A1 are the same as for the blow of panels the M1 and 3 small blow off panelswhere as the M1A1 had 2 large blow off panels

1 Like

Unfortunately, Tankograd #3023 won’t help much as it just has pictures from Exercises, no detail shots. All overhead shots won’t show the blow-out panels as crew usually had stuff covering them. Here’s a shot of a drawing from Squadron’s Armor in Action #26.

1 Like

H.P.

2 Likes

Frenchy’s pic is good above for Abrams Blast Panels overall. However, the disks shown as an A2 feature were actually started on the A1 as a test for a reloadable magazine by lifting off the panel and an ammo rack below it. The magazine concept was not adopted. The disks may or may not be on M1A1s or M1A2s based on when and from what former version the tanks were built/rebuilt from. They are not an ID feature of any specific type.

1 Like

Just last week I said (and not the first time) that I"m no fan of using models as references.
This A2 is from 2007 in Northern Iraq. Blast panels are partially visible. I’m sort of on my way out the door for a ride so I might find more later.
The disks come with and without bolt detail:

This is an OG Model. The size and shape of the panels shown above are off.

Ft. Hood in 2015:

![DSC07766|690x460](upload://nqK19hEzc9zPOBz9f9qdx1eFgVa.jpeg

1 Like

Thanks for responding guys.I did have a few images on our P.C but the damn thing decided to throw a fit and totally crashed and lost everything.I just cant remember the kind gent who sent me pictures.
Cheers from Richard

It might have been from your earlier M1Abrams Kit Recommendations thread.

M1 Abrams kit recommendations - Armor/AFV / Modern - KitMaker Network

1 Like

I agree, but as Gino said, it was just to give an overall idea of the panels…

H.P.

OK, here are some drawings showing the difference:

And a photo:

Ken

3 Likes

Cheers Ken.
Richard

maybe this is one of the photos from John Charvat ?

Also found this today, a cross section drawing of the M1A1 removable racks

3 Likes

Hi Sean.
Thanks for responding.Some good info.I dont recall seeing these before.I seem to recall the M1 pics John sent was a worn machine with fair bit of rust.
Richard

Oh that picture…

If you can find a copy of the Verlinden Warmachines No. 6, that covers the M1, M1IP and M1A1. Pretty good shots of both Ft. Knox and Germany-based tanks.

Here’s some more OG M1 Abrams pics, for your consideration.

Thanks guys for your help.
Richard.

Merci Mille Fois!

Hi Richard,
I am currently working on backdating a Trumpeter M1A1 kit into M1 IP version and cut the blast panels out of Evergreen sheet using a Cricut machine. If you live in the US and want a set, let me know. Just cover the postage. These should be fairly accurate based on measurements I had.

Kind regards,
James

3 Likes

Thats awfully nice of your James but im in Limeyland over the pond.Looks great what you are making!!.
Richard