HMS Tartar 1944-45

Hm… Looking at the stern of the Trumpy kit’s hull, I think the Atlantic kit has captured the shape better there as well, when compared to the lines plan.

The Trumpy kit looks more bath tub like at the stern…

Of course I already have a bunch of aftermarket gear to go with the Trumpy kit too :smile::smile::smile:

1 Like

Hi Russ,

I will admit I hadn’t noticed that, but I having looked at it.

I agree, above is the Trumpy Eskimo Sans Bow, below the Atlantic Models Tartar, I can’t show a direct comparison of the bow… I did fix the bow on the Trumpy kit I built as HMS Cossack a few years back, It was a pain, and good luck to you with that.

Cheers, Si

2 Likes

Ah well, in for a penny, in for a pound as they say :smile:

1 Like

Hi, please ignore the “warm light grey” etc colour descriptions - those didn’t exist. They are based on badly age-damaged samples of linseed oil paints.

Please see here: Royal Navy Colours of World War Two - B & G Series Camouflage Colours 1943-1945

2 Likes

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for looking and your advice. I was a little confused by the description “warm light grey”. The instructions also state G45 for that colour.

I will take a look at your link, as I am getting close to wanting to get the main superstructure untils painted and fixed down.

Best regards

Si

1 Like

Very nice!

Getting more popcorn.

1 Like

The colours are straight forward - G45 is correct, but it was bluish, not warm. The hull panel was B20.

1 Like

Hi Steve,

Welcome aboard, update coming very shortly.

Cheers, :beer: SI

1 Like

HI Jamie,

Thank you for the advice, very much appreciated. I found the link you posted very helpful.

I will post an unpadte on the build later this evening or tomorrow.

Cheers, :beer: Si

Latest progress.

Some of the small stuff, The quad 2pdr pompom as per the photographs I have found clearly show a late war quad with splinter shielding, the railings were cut off, and splinter sheilds made form 10thou plastic strip.

The searchloght platform / after control position was from the etched fret with the searchlight and binacle with wheel from the Black Cat upgrade. A couple of support struts added from brass rod and some copper wire voice pipes.

The upper bridge, with black cat parts, stll needs the radar adding to the rangefinder tower, some voice pipes and a few other details. the bulwarks did look a little low compared with the hieght of a 1/350 figure, and the binacles. Some plastic strip was used to raise the slightly.

All the major components and the armament test fitted in place. A and Y guns have their shields in place to check fit. B & X gun I left open fro painting. Next job will be to mask up and spray the anit fouling, then some of the components such as the funnels, midships AA platform etc.

Current state of work.

More soon.

Cheers, Si

3 Likes

A little progress over the last few days.

The deck painted, along with the windlass and some of the fittings, also the lower hull.

Paint starting to go on the superstructure parts. only the forward funnel and the midships AA platform are fixed down. Studying photographs,of the actual ship, both in books and on line the midships AA platform appears to be white, not light blue as per the painting guide. I may be wrong.

The camo on the rear of the bridge mostdefinetly needs tidying up. It may be tthe perspecive of the photograph, but the ladders look a bit too long. I have just solved that. I also have the etched fret for the Trumpy kit I have been tinkering with for over two years, building HMS Eskimo sans her bow after being torpeoded at the 2nd Battle of Narvik 13/04/40. I will gently pry those off and respray them and fit them to Eskimo, and then fit the correct parts.

More soon,

Cheers, Si

3 Likes

Had a bit of a whoops the other day, moving the model with all the test fitted parts still in place,

Of courxe the bridge fell off, and landed upside down wrecking the rangefinder tower.

Not a big problem, I was short of a few bits and pieces, so I just added a new tower to the order direct from Black Cat.

On the upside, I have fixed my error with the ladders.

I did notice the Trumpy hull also appeared to be a bit wider, I did think this might be an optical illusion as I had removed the bow to built it as HMS Eskimo 1940, 2nd Battle of Narvik, after the bow “fell off” after being hit a torpeo. The Atalntic Models kit came in at about 32mm = 11.2m, according to my references the beam was 11.13m, so pretty good, The Trumpy kit came in at about 36mm = 12.6m.

Mrs Duster’s Birthday weekend, next weekend so I very much doubt I will get time at the bench.

back soon,

Cheers Si

3 Likes

Ah… the Trumpy kit :melting_face:

Best wishes to Mrs Duster, Si :blush:

2 Likes

Hi Russ,

Mrs Duster says “Thank you”.

The Trumpy kit is ideal for the Eskimo sans bow build as it removes one problem. Having got the stalled project from the back of the bench, I am minded to push it on and try and build the base of her sat along side a little jetty in a small Fjord.

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers, SI

2 Likes

Some progress recently.

Having aquired a new general purpose airbrush, I have sprayed the smaller parts their varios base shades.

Detail painting on A & B gun mounts.

A and B gun fitted and the forward superstructure fixed down.

The funnels rigged, davits and some cable ree;s out of the spares box fitted, they are a bit big for the job, but they were what I had.

More soon(ish)

Cheers, Si

6 Likes

Looking good, Si :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks Russ,

I am very much enjoying the build. The Black cat upgrade for the late Tribal is really adding a lot to the base kit, which is fundementally a good kit, and it would not be beyond the wit of man to add scratchbuilt details should they desire. (I can be a bit of a lazy modeller). I have just ordered the Early Tribal class set from Ben, not only because it is a good value fro money, but there are quite a few spare parts on it.

Thanks dor looking in.

Cheers, Si

1 Like

Progress has been a bit slow recently.

mostly concentrated on getting most of the Armament done and fitted. The after guns in place, and the mainmast stays,

The twin 20mm on the enlarged lower bridge wings, and radar fitted to the replacement HACS.

An overview of where I am at,

Paint is going on the boats, I then have the fore topmast and radars to go one as well as the boats and a few other details.

More a bit sooner I hope.

Cheers,

Si

3 Likes

Really inspiring me to start something Tribal Si, with the most excellent work you’re doing here… She’s looking great! :smiley: