HMS Victory OOB

I can say the same thing on a few of my models…LOL.

Mark :beer:

1 Like

After a long tedious stint with the paint brush… And after my eyes stopped bleeding lol… This is the state of play …

I’m actually pretty happy with how they look. I will address a some of the overspill on some of the window panes tomorrow with a pinprick of black paint over where the gold flowed and I may do a few with clear blue and how that looks.
Just the one side wing to do now… Thank god lol

8 Likes

Those came out beautiful John - the modeling equivalent of a root canal!

1 Like

Try a fairly dry piece of sponge and just wipe it over. It will pick up the highlights.

Root canal is easier lol :+1:

1 Like

May give that a try on the last wing…:+1:

1 Like

And you’re still dealing with just the hull. Wait until you get to the rigging. For example, this diagram of the rigging of a maintop:

I’d recommend a copy of The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War, 1625-1850, by James Lees, but that would just be adding more driving force, and it’s really too expensive a reference for just a single ship build.

7 Likes

If I gave you advise now you would be upset. Let me know when you do another similar project.

1 Like

Thankfully I will be keeping my sanity in place as this Victory will be straight out the box with no frills. I have followed other threads on multiple masted ships with incredible rigging and detailed areas down to individual blocks and tackle etc, but it’s not for me … I really appreciate the work and skill that does go into those builds… But it just isn’t for me, I’m happier drilling out MG barrels or adding wiring to headlights and MBSGDs on tanks… That’s my happy place …

1 Like

With someone of your skill level HG nothing would be found upsetting on any comments or advice you make as although they would probably not get put into practice on this build as I don’t intend on ever doing another ship like this, other people who do one or similar may find it useful to see what advice you have :+1:

2 Likes

Have been doing a bit of painting in the background to take my mind of Banjo leaving us. Have almost finished the masts and all the other various (spars ? etc) and I will have a go at putting one together tomorrow after work. Am also still working on the gold areas on the stern.

4 Likes

Chin up John. I know it’s hard.

1 Like

Outstanding job on the gold-work John, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:, think it would have been heading for the bin had I attempted it, :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

G, :beer:

1 Like

haha … Cheers G, but trust me, it was a very close to it a few times … and I have yet to do the flag and other goldwork towards the top of the stern — and then there is the figurehead … :sob:

2 Likes

You certainly don’t do things by halves John, :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, the last time I used a ‘gold’ paint was back in the 70s, an enamel, and as I recall it was a ‘B’ of a colour to mix and apply…but I guess times have moved on paint-wise, least I hope so for the sake of your sanity, :laughing:.

G, :beer:

1 Like

I think I tried about 4 different golds originally, and I was up in Antics getting some supplies and came across that AV polished gold by chance, and it is seriously great paint. I use one drop of tamiya thinner in about 4 or 5 drops of the paint, but you can easily get away with no thinner as well.

1 Like

Hello!

Which kit of the Victory are you building? I notice that the hull includes the entry port, and that the looks large. The Heller 1/100 kit does not include that port, depicting a particular version of the ship.

Thank you!

Bill

1 Like

Bill,

It’s the old Airfix 1/180 Victory.

It’s straight out the box with zero frills…

Not sure how accurate it is for that time frame.

Cheers

1 Like

It is an accurate model kit, although somewhat simplified. There are secondary parts available, but I forget from where.

Bill

1 Like

Ok ok … It’s been a while … And I had put it on a bit of a back burner… But SWMBO dropped a small hint about it yesterday … And I did promise her …

So, an update, and more to follow… Did some more gold work on the rear sections, and the figurehead… Also started the small detail painting at the very top of the rear section…

Will continue work on this now, and put up a few more updates next few days :+1:

4 Likes