Hobby Boss Achzarit Early

Is that masking tape on the headlights ? if so,I take you paint them up on the inside then apply the lens and just mask to protect ? I will have to steal that idea :grin:

And the PE work is making it stand out now, lots of nice clean detailing.

That is starting to look like a great model, lovely detailing… have this one in my stash so watching with great interest… dreading all that pe already…

Yes it is. The part is clear plastic. I painted the rear silver and applied a disc of Tamiya masking tape. When the kit comes with separate lenses I glue them when the whole vehicle is painted.

Olivier

2 Likes

Thanks Bert. I do not like when there is too much PE parts. However I must admit HB did a good job with the design of them.

Olivier

Coming along nice Olivier. I was searching while back about this particular subject. Weather I should purchase Hobby Boss or Meng. I think there is another one or two manufacturers (Tiger??) doing the same subject. I want to see what’s is best bang for the buck…know what I mean :smiley:

Anyway, keep on Truckin!!

The other manufacturers I know who made Achzarit were Azimut and Legend. Both did full resin kits.
Meng kit is more expensive but is certainly more accurate. HB made some shape mistakes on the corridor area especially. The left Toga plate is a mix of two types. And the RWS has a weird feed system that I haven’t seen yet on reference pictures.

Olivier

1 Like

Olivier, that’s basically what I need to find out. So, the Chinese mafia short cutted (if that’s word) the kit. 1st time they did that. :grin:

I have been searching all day for photos of the vehicle without antiskid but I only managed to find very low quality photos that do not help out. Also checked a couple of publications (Osprey and Sabinga Martin) but did not manage to find a definite answer. I have seen a prototype without antiskid but it is a prototype after all. So the safe option is to add antiskid (plus this will allow you to paint red details ).

I’ll add the antislip. This is a typical IDF feature after all. :wink:

Olivier

1 Like

Antislip done. It’s a bit coarse in some areas I have to admit.
The TOGA plates are glued too. Now I have to assemble the MGs and the RWS.
Beforehand I’ll spray the basic color coat.

Olivier

8 Likes

Nicely done Olivier. Although you said the anti slip is a bit coarse in some areas, I think you’ll get away with it once the primer and then paint goes down on top of it. It looks really good with where you have it at the moment. Did you say all the PE comes in the kit ?

Thank you Johnny. Yes all the PE parts come from the box. There are 2 large plates.
I too believe that the antislip will do the trick after some paint is applied. IDF antislip is not smooth like the US/German/French one.

Olivier

The build is close to the end. I still need to assemble the 2 MAG supports.
The RWS can traverse and elevate if you take care when gluing the ammo box holder.
The net at the back was the pain to make. I used some Tamiya masking tape which is a bad idea unlike you manage to remove the sticky effect.

Olivier

6 Likes

You know the net in the back does look like it was pain to create but the end results do look ver convincing to me. It’s sagging like a real strap net would. After you have finished painting it just don’t mess with it. :wink:

2 Likes

Good work Olivier. The masking tape netting i know would of been time consuming but the effort was worth it. RWS looks nice as well. Looking to be another great build :+1:

2 Likes

When I use masking tape for things like that, I usually carefully let superglue flow over it to harden it as the first time I did it and painted it, the paint weakened the masking tape and it broke in a few places.

3 Likes

@Johnnych01, nice tip on strengthening the tape with CA. However, I am not understanding the last part of your sentence. Are you saying it still broke after painting? TiA

I painted it without applying the CA, and thinking back, I was handling it a bit after I painted it, but the paint seemed to of weakened the masking tape and it snapped in a few places so I then did it all again and this time did the CA application, and it hardened and had no issues after I painted it.
I have done this on all the stowage straps I add as well, even if its the kit supplied ones like the Trumpy Strykers when you do them rolled up on the side or securing boxes … it just gives then a slightly hardened layer.

2 Likes

Oh ok. That’s what I though you were saying originally but I wanted to make sure. Again good tip John. I will sure to use it when I get mine going. I just purchased the meng Achzarit as I found one for $20 + shipping. Seems like a good deal. :wink:

1 Like

I already have done it in some areas to strengthen the bonding of the straps together. I will follow your advice as I wouldn’t like to see the net falling apart as you experienced.

Olivier

1 Like