Hobby Link CAT D7E Rome plow build

I’ve given up on decals for this thing. All my spares look wrong and my last hope for custom/white decals finally emailed me back this morning and said he doesn’t make them anymore.

I’m not confident in my abilities to hand paint numbers and “The Wild Bunch!” or something else on the cab.

(Picture credits 538th Land Clearing Company veteran’s site)

So, some oil dot stuff, washes, a bit of dry brushing and dead flat clear in preparation for oil pastels and pigments were done today.

4 Likes

Try painting your markings on clear decal film, then just apply like a regular decal. You can use a white paint marking pen to do the writing.
Ken

2 Likes

Know anyone with a Cricut ( or similar) machine who can make masks for you ?

1 Like

I’ve got a buddy who’s a custom car/bike painter. He also does vinyl lettering and signs. I asked him if he could cut a frisket or vinyl mask on his plotter machine for me and he just looked at me sideways…

I appreciate the suggestion but that ship has sailed. It’s getting lightly weathered and going on a M172A1 trailer being pulled by an M52.

1 Like

Wow, I can almost smell the diesel and hydraulic fluid on this build. Excellent work.

3 Likes

Just a suggestion, but we used the 10 ton tractor to haul our dozers. Wayne

1 Like

I guess the M52 is a valid option

H.P.

1 Like

Thanks. Was it the M123A2C?
Seriously, I’d like to hear all your input on this and the build since you’ve got the most experience with this.

Edited for picture

Here’s a M123A1C on the job

H.P.

2 Likes

The M52 was on the low end of the capacity rating to haul a Rome Plow. They were pretty heavy. The M123 10-ton tractor was the preferred prime mover.

1 Like

This was my buddies unit. Their company area was next to ours at Long Binh. We had a couple of 10 tons, one with the dragon wagon trailer that would help haul them when they were short of trucks. They were starting to stand down when I got there, so weren’t there long. We always used 10 tons for hauling our dozers.
Wayne

1 Like

Thanks for the input guys.

I’ve got an old Tank Workshop M123A1C build that I can drag out of the case (and fix the windshield) for the trailer.

2 Likes

You’re right . Should have thought about that…

H.P.

As I recall, the trans units used mainly the M52 hauling everything from beans to bullets. The engineer units used mainly the M123 10 Ton. Wayne

1 Like

Thanks for chiming in @namengr, I appreciate it.

Okay, I’m calling this done until I can arrange transportation.

Other than the decals being a disappointment, this was a really fun build. I’m looking forward to doing a “straight” D7 in the future.

10 Likes

Time to hand paint “WEST MOUNTAIN MEN VIRGINIA” or “THE IRON COFFIN” o the back of that cab. You could probably harvest some generic US Army pacards from older kits, if possible.

1 Like

Glad my old memory was a little help. Be nice if they made the grinder that they had for sharpening the blade. First time I ran one in shake and bake course I came up to a tree and expected to feel a jolt, but that thing cut thru it like butter. Really cool. Wayne

1 Like

Some like challenges :wink:

H.P.

2 Likes

Never said it didn’t happen, just not the preferred prime mover.

Talking about markings, I guess some two-digit numbers on the sides and the roof would suffice…

H.P.

3 Likes