Hong Kong Models 1/32 B-17G Rose of York

As a returning modeller I haven’t built a B-17 since I was a teenager not far off half a century ago.

I read all about this reissue of the HKM B-17 from 2013 with new parts and the model of Princess Elizabeth and though oh damn. As I cant work I have to save to buy and with the very limited numbers, only 500, I thought I’ve got no chance.

I spoke with my favourite independent model shop where I’m fortunate enough to know the owner and they have agreed to order one in and and they are going to lay it away and let me pay it off in instalments.
That made my day.

Anyone else ordering this kit?

4 Likes

While I have a need for a B-17G, to one day build my uncle’s plane and it’s last flight. The 1/32 doesn’t work for my budget and size. I have gotten the newer Airfix kit for my needs.

Best of luck with your project.

3 Likes

Thank you.This kit does come with a wall mount to attach it to a wall with wheels up or down and can be removed very easily.

3 Likes

Looks nice a nice kit and thats a very understanding and helpful friend of yours who runs the model shop … Nice. :+1:

Interesting link Ryan and a nice historic build when you are able to do it … was your uncle actually on that last flight ? Was he lost or POW ? or a prior air crew ?

4 Likes

That is interesting, I did not know that.

1 Like

He was the pilot, Bernard Lord. Took awhile to find information on him as the family didn’t know/recall information and a google search with pilot and Lord is less then helpful. :roll_eyes: His brother Don, I was told a P-51 pilot. Still haven’t found anything on him. Was able to get a copy of the MACR report with information. I have talked to Bland Carter (POW) the ball turret gunner about a 20 yrs ago and have a letter from him somewhere.

5 Likes

That is an amazing link and so detailed. They were all so young less the 32 yr old waist gunner. I cannot believe the ball gunner went down with the aircraft and survived … thats crazy !!

3 Likes

From the original G manual on scalemates as the new manual not uploaded yet

It’s removable.

3 Likes

Thank you for posting that link. It s always makes history more personal when you are able to add a name to what for most people is just words on a page.

5 Likes

I agree. One the 388th websites has a lot of detailed information. I know/knew all the planes he flew, all the crewmen for each flight (slight changes). Where in the formation the plane was slotted. Lots of great historical information.

2 Likes

What allowed him to live, flipping on its back with the ball turret up is probably what killed my uncle. I don’t know if he had any flight control once the plane was cut in half. Not that him surviving wasn’t a miracle in of itself, the fact the tail gunner survived with no one able to even control anything. Crazy all around.

3 Likes

The Rose of York has the staggered waist guns and the early tail gun installation. I have the E/F version plus the F version so don’t think I’ll go for this one. Currently building an F and an early G. They are nice kits.

1 Like