How are you testing new products you've purchased?

I have started testing my paints and products I’ve purchased before using them on my time costly projects.
I’m now doing this by doing something, typing it into my tablet notes.
And then repeat.
I’m thinking this is just stupid to do.
And that there must be another way to do this.
But I have absolutely no idea what that other way might be.
Could you give me a hand in this matter?

My approach testing QuickTracks, Tamiya Dark Iron as track color, overspraying Tamiya paint with much hotter Floquil Railroad paint, using VMS Smart Rust as a wash & AK Graphite pigment. I take pictures via cellphone at each stage then wrote it up to post in my Intrigue of Panther’s thread. It’s quick, easy and makes an additional blog post for the model build. Total time ten minutes or so to document five tests rolled together.

Played with new products to finish a set of QuickTracks early Panther D tracks.

Base of Tamiya Dark Iron, followed by mist of Floquil Railroad Antique Bronze.

Painted exposed metal where wheels ride followed by a wash of VMS Smart Rust for visual impact.

More VMS rust wash.

Rubbed down with Graphite powder.

Results…

Taking several pictures during the process makes for far less typing to document as one can see the various outcomes at a glance.

HTH

6 Likes

You might want to rethink your technique a bit. German tank tracks contained a high manganese content to make them longer-lasting. The metal color was a brownish-grayish-yellowish color (depending on the opinion of the observer), and didn’t tend to rust much (hardly any, at all!).
:smiley: :canada:

1 Like

@Biggles50 Leo,

Where did I say those tracks were realistic?

I said it was testing.

Maybe consider asking or discussing before making assumptions about what others know or don’t know.

The not being realistic is even addressed in my actual blog post.

So no, I don’t need to rethink my track finishing because visual impact is more important to me than a strictly realistic appearance for the tracks. Yes, I’ve known about the manganese for decades.

Of course, modeler’s should finish models in a manner that suits their tastes and priorities.

3 Likes

Well…excuuuuuuuuse me! :face_with_spiral_eyes:
:smiley: :canada:

2 Likes

If you follow @BlackWidow post/builds he will spray plastic spoons to test his colors. You can do the same with plastic sheets or even left over sprue gates. I have an old Tamiya Amtrack that is my paint mule. Anything can be used to test before putting on your project.

1 Like

In most cases, I test new products on whatever model is sitting in front of me. If an experiment goes badly, I do whatever it takes to recover–putty, rebuild, repaint, sand, strip, whatever. Over the last year, I messed up a hundred different ways but finished a dozen models and learned a ton of stuff along the way.

Very recently, I painted some white plastic sheet stock in the manner of a model–Vallejo Model Air olive drab over Badger black primer–to test methods for applying white wash. The target model is a truck. Stripping a bad application of white wash and starting over would require a ton of rework. In this specific case, I decided that testing on a real model is a very bad idea. The stakes are so high, I reluctantly chose to fail a campaign build rather than rush things and skip these safe experiments.

Fifteen years ago, I recorded all my experiments, ideas, projects, and task lists in a model building journal. If you are reluctant to share your trials and tribulations with Joe Everybody, I recommend this approach. These days, I maintain two project threads in the KitMaker Forums. They serve the same purpose as the journal. Both methods have strengths and weaknesses.

3 Likes

@Armor_Buff Thank you for sharing your method of testing new things out.

@Tank_1812 Thank you for the suggestion, I have taken a quick look at the profile. But, looking at some of his posts. I decided they would be to long to read and check out. And have decided to don’t do this. But, I really appreciate it you have taken the time to reply on my topic. Thank you for that.

@Damraska Thank you as well for replying to my question. I’m not much of a fan of just picking a model up and just start experimenting on it. Like I’m understanding from your first paragraph of your reply. Correct me if I’m not understanding it right. But, my first thought is that this approach would cost me to much valuable time.
I’m glad you are talking about plastic sheets in your second paragraph, because I have a plastic plate of Tamiya that I do test my paint mixtures with my airbrush on before starting to spray on my actual model. And I’m now trying this also for all the other painting tests I’m doing. But still searching for an effective way with which I’m happy as well to document everything. Since I’m scalemodeling on iregular basis. So I might have already forgotten what I did a few days back.
I’m interested in your journal idea of documenting…
Maybe we could talk about it in more detail in private messages?
Or you could do it in here?

Anyway, thank you for the ideas and I will think about them.
Try some of them out, since that’s the only way to discover what I like and dislike.
And I will think about what I will mark as the solution for this question.
So be patient.

1 Like

Experimenting on real models can definitely result in serious setbacks. You strike me as a very considered, methodical, and patient person. Therefore, performing separate experiments on plates and such should work very well for you.

Are you looking for an computer program specifically dedicated to model building management? A number of model inventory tracking applications exist, but I am not aware of anything with a searchable journal feature. An Open Office or Word document, formatted with a table of contents and hyperlinks, could be made to work but you probably want something more elaborate.

I am happy to help in the open forums or private messages, whatever works best for you.

As a result of this conversation, I may resume using a paper journal. They really are useful tools for capturing ideas and mental organization. Either that or I will purchase a new Apple tablet computer for the job. I’ll need to think about that.

I really like the colour variations you did Wade. They look like very new tracks to me. I’m also colour blind, but its what I see.

1 Like

I’m of the same process as @Damraska just dive into it. Nothing quite like learning from doing. In my opinion, if you make a mistake knowing how to correct it is more important.

The floor is glossier than what it should be. It is a learning experience, because I didn’t follow proper painting procedures. I now know how to use AMMO paints properly, which I should have checked prior to paint.

I have and do use the spoons method as it’s quick and easy to try out primers and undercoats and see what effect they have on the finished tone.

I also purchased in a sale at Jadlam the 1/35 S-100 Schnellboote .it had the quite common fail on arrival of the front ring of the torpedo tube on the port side of the hull. Now the kit is not cheap and these hull pieces are 99 cm long and a reasonable width. I had asked Jadlam to check the hulls were in their proper places in the box and protected from damage before posting. So I decided not to fix it but to ask for a replacement as I sent a email and photos within10 minutes of signing for it. I always photograph with timestamp the opening of a kit and perform a sprue check for broken, snapped off, short shots and cracked or broken clear parts.
It’s easy enough to repair many of these issues but I think that if we do that then kit manufacturers will just go on packaging kits in ways they can easily be damaged. This damaged hull section now makes a brilliant surface for trying paints primers clear coats et al and even different needle/nozzle combinations.
Please excuse any grammar and spelling mistakes. I had a total knee replacement yesterday and they had me exercising today. I think they pushed a little too hard as I pulled one of the metal clips they used in the wound site instead of lots and lots of stitches. I’m also on lots of Iv antibiotics and take home another 6 weeks worth of tablets for several strong antibiotics as the recovery is somewhat risky for me and it makes reading and writing somewhat strange.
Thanks.

4 Likes

The new Ammo Mig Atom paint .
Doing the spoon test adhesion and coverage .
Spraying it straight from the bottle / then thinned with and without primer . Sprays perfect either way and does not peel or flake .
12 & 24 hour tape test doesn’t peel off . Even did a duct tape test and same results , didn’t peel .
Very satisfied with this new paint and it’s overall performance .
Best yet it’s Acrylic , no strong fumes and it sprays like a Lacquer .

1 Like

On my younger brother while he naps.

4 Likes

Mark, wishing you a fast, free of complications, painless recovery from knee surgery.

@brekinapez , that test method is pure genius!

5 Likes

Thanks muchly👍

2 Likes

Hope you have a speedy recovery with no issues.

4 Likes