How would you paint this 1:35 Tamiya German Shepherd?

Start with black primer? Suggested Tamiya/Vallejo paints? I already have Vallejo acrylic black primer. Thanks!

1 Like

When I painted mine, I sprayed the base Tamiya Wooden Deck Tan and Nato Black ( a dark grey colour) over that. I then Mixed various shades of both those colours, but using Vallejo and drybrush/blended these over the base. As these were not out of the bottle, but blended colours, I can’t tell you which I used.

I suggest you google images and find a colour and pattern on a dog you would like to replicate. That is what I did.

9 Likes

I painted mine with Vallejo paints too. I think I used Brown Sand as base colour, and black, for the back. Yet is is a couple of years back that I painted him…

3 Likes

Haven’t gotten past the black primer stage on mine but this my research and thoughts…primer, thin layer of Vallejo Buff all over then your thin coats for Vallejo camo black brown on top. Then its mixes to match your pooch’s pattern.

Here are some techniques I have found that might help painting animals.

HTH

2 Likes

Just be sure to keep your strokes ruff! :grin:

6 Likes

That’s imressive.

1 Like

For what it’s worth:

There are three “colourings” of German Shepherds, all with long and short hair variants. They come in the more common three-ish colour camo version, black, and white. The camo version was considered the “pure” version during the WWII period, the black ones were less common, and the white ones were considered impure. They, therefore, attempted to rid the world of white Shepherds.

They were not successful. This one is mine:

CORRECTION: My daughter just reminded me that the black shepherds were also “frowned” upon by the Nazis.

4 Likes

Just some ideas:

Frankly, not a lot of WW2 era color images on the net showing German Shepperds.

3 Likes

That reminds me, I need to complete an IGB dio I have languishing on the shelf of doom. Did the NVA Border Guards ever use all-black Alsations/German Shepherds? It would make the final bit of painting so much easier if they did(!)

Looks like they did.

1 Like

Thank you! Job done - well, once I’ve painted the thing. Excellent - all hail to Armorama!

4 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

That is a lovely blend and fade to the colours… Really nice

2 Likes

Great to not hear a discussion about factory or field applied zimmerit on the model. :smile:

5 Likes

That’s for Fur-ther discussion :grin:

5 Likes

4 Likes

Ha, thanks everyone :+1:

This was actually part of the weirdest Valentine gift I ever received - this 1:35 Tamiya Livestock kit. It was gifted merely for the German Shepherd, though I’m sure everyone will get a kick out of me trying to paint pig teats and a chicken.

Thanks for the guidance and vids. I’ve found some good tutorials for other Tamiya kits but not this one…

Luckily, I have a live-in model. Meet Hilda.

8 Likes

And what about German Cats?! :pouting_cat:

:smile:

—mike

3 Likes

I did both:

6 Likes

She is a beaut, good luck keeping her hair off the model. :+1:

3 Likes