IDF 75 Campaign

Looking good. How was the fit?

Very good, the kit is very recommendable! Nearly nothing to fill yet.
Peter :raising_hand_man:t2:

1 Like

OK, well, I started this campaign and time’s a tickin’. It’s become clear to me that an armor project just ain’t gonna get me there, but Peter reminded me that I have a couple of other IDF kits in the old stash. So, how about something completely different (and more up my alley)?

I picked up the AK Early IAF paint set not too long ago and have been itching to try it, and this seems like a good place to do it.

Michael :israel: :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

Tirian 4 - Some progress but nothing too exciting so no photos. Painted the lower hull and running gear. Made a modest start on the turret.

Magach 2- Painted and clear coated. Decals next. Photos tomorrow.

1 Like

in December last year i posted that i’m starting the build of the Merkava MK4-M
there where so many build reviews of merkava’s so i deside to do no review of the build
i came along a lot of pictures kids throwing stones to israelian tanks and made the plan for a diorama
and now after three months here is the result

I very happy with the end result
Until next time :smiley: :ok_hand: :+1:

15 Likes

Nice work on the details, particularly the ball and chain armor.

My attempts never look that good.

1 Like

Looks great! Does the Merk have a muzzle reference system? If so that tire will be a pain for the gunner! Could get hurt braving those stones to climb out to remove it…

1 Like

Great looking diorama. I wish I had the patience and skills to do that for my Merkava.

1 Like

Yes, all Merkavas have a muzzle reference system, it is a triangle shape.

And the photo that I believe that inspired the tire

Tire removal services…

How about a bucket?

10 Likes

Good choice, Michael! I have the 1/72 Meteor kit of Special Hobby on my wishlist for some time now… :grinning:
Will follow your build! :disguised_face:
Peter :raising_hand_man:

Following on from that great dio with the Merkava Mk4, I have finished my contribution to the campaign.
I did finish building and painting about 6 weeks ago and spent the rest of the time angsting about how to weather this tank. As pretty much a novice armour builder It’s hard to get that balance right so feedback appreciated.
Anyway, Meng’s Merkava Mk.3D Late LIC as Tank Gimel (C), 2nd (Wolves) Company, 2nd Sa’ar Battalion, 188 Barak Brigade, IDF - i.e the markings provided in the kit.

This has been the most informative campaign I’ve done with all the pictures and detail provided about the IDF and the variety of builds.

cheers
Michael

11 Likes

Great looking build there Michael. This is the one I want to get after Nikos recommended it. How did you find the build ? It has a nice overall weathering finish as well. Not to much, not to little … nice work :+1:

Some really nice attention to detail and weathering. I see you avoided a common mistake, using a dark wash to highlight the antiskid, a method that most of the times makes the antiskid look too dark and “smudgy”.

You can use a polished metal finish for the guide teeth of the track and a soft pencil for the surfaces on the track links that rub against the ground (it is like doing a drybrush with the pencil).

Some leave them as is or do more detail work remarks:

The wire ropes can be painted black and then use rust tone washes to give them more “character”.

The two smoke canisters can be painted something like interior green if you want them to stand out.

The fire extinguishers on the turret can be red, green or grey.

And whoever tells you that you polished the commander’s mg too much show them this photo

Overall:
Looks-good GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

3 Likes

Generally, they’re painted in the same color as the tank itself; if not, in foam green. I never saw one of those small handheld fire extinguishers on tanks painted in red.

This is the most common:

I will go through some photos for red fire extinguishers, perhaps they are not on tanks but on APC’s. If I don’t find any I gladly admit that I stank corrected.

1 Like

Most modell manufacturers get IDF marking descriptions wrong: this tank belongs to the 74th Sa’ar Battalion which is the second battalion of the 188th Brigade (hence the two barrel rings).

2 Likes

The rubber band is actually a seal from a 7.62mm ammo box. We used it widely to secure all sorts of stuff on the tank.

4 Likes

your right by that was not on the previos pictures but here is it on the diorama

5 Likes

Thanks Johnny!
As for the build, well this was only my third tank and my first Meng kit but I think key frustrations have been pointed out before. The engine cover is a poor fit, the upper hull is fractionally too narrow to slide over the tracks at the front and a very tight fit at the back. I also found the how the layers of the top of turret were meant to fit together was a problem, the instructions weren’t that clear but they may have been my ignorance of modern armour. But it does make a great looking kit at the end of it so I am happy with it.

cheers
Michael

2 Likes

Thanks Nikos for the info. Probably too late for the wire ropes but I can re-look at the track and extinguishers.

cheers
Michael